flu shots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got mine the first week in October. I've gotten one the last 10 years. Never had a bad reaction -- there may be a little tenderness in your arm.
I feel I want to get all the help I can! I usually come down with something nasty every winter, but feel that the flu shot makes the length of it shorter. I advise people to get one. Our University (where I work) offers free shots to employees and their spouses. Good deal!:wink:

I have gotten one every year for at least the last 12 years. It's basically a requirement for me. I have asthma and used to get really sick every year. I was able to get one last year through my dr because I have asthma. I would have been screwed last year if I would have been with out one and gotten sick.

There's no shortage this year so get one if you think you need to get one.

I've been a chronic asthmatic since I was 6 and used to have to be admitted to hospital with really bad attacks upwards of 4 times a year. My school reports tell me that I was absent from school on average half of every school year, usually as a result of flu (and the flu would usually end with me in hospital)

I had my first flu jab in 1996 and haven't had to go into hospital since, and have had only one real asthma attack since then too :)

:drool: flu jab :drool:

bammo2 said:
I've been a chronic asthmatic since I was 6 and used to have to be admitted to hospital with really bad attacks upwards of 4 times a year. My school reports tell me that I was absent from school on average half of every school year, usually as a result of flu (and the flu would usually end with me in hospital)

I had my first flu jab in 1996 and haven't had to go into hospital since, and have had only one real asthma attack since then too :)

:drool: flu jab :drool:

I'm glad they work for you. I haven't had the flu since I was a kid. I do get some sort of stomach virus almost every March, except last March (yeah!). I'm having breathing problems now, but that's another story...

Maybe I should reconsider, swallow my pride and go get a flu shot. I just don't want to get sick from it.

For the asthmatics, what medicines do you take?

I usually don't get one, but this year my family is putting some pressure on me to get one. My mother is pissed off that they're not going to start giviing them until the middle of November, she thinks that's too late. I haven't had the flu in three years. I hope I don't run out of luck this year.

would it be wrong to assume you guys aren't talking about the flu strain which kills elderly people and those with disabled immune systems? some of the blase attitudes are making me wonder if some are talking about the common flu which screws you around for a while not the one which can lay you up in hospital.

:slant:

Angela Harlem said:
would it be wrong to assume you guys aren't talking about the flu strain which kills elderly people and those with disabled immune systems? some of the blase attitudes are making me wonder if some are talking about the common flu which screws you around for a while not the one which can lay you up in hospital.

:slant:

I don't think my attitude is blase at all...I don't believe in injecting my body with forigen substances because someone in a white coat say I need it.

Dismantled said:

I don't think my attitude is blase at all...I don't believe in injecting my body with forigen substances because someone in a white coat say I need it.

I agree with you, Dis. Besides, I'd rather forego a shot for me and let someone who REALLY needed it get one.

Angela Harlem said:

I'm not sure I understand your distinction.

Any strain of flu has the potential to kill the elderly or the immunocompromised.

I don't know if I should get the shot or not. You see, I'm a bit of a germ freak, so I'm constantly washing my hands with hand sanitiser anyway. Always do before I eat. But since influenza is mainly airborne and I'm living in residence this year... Maybe it might be a good idea. I'm just worried about potential side effects.

I've had them every year except when I was trying to get pregnant and when I was pregnant/breastfeeding. I have had no bad symptons from them. I didn't get them when I was pregnant as I just didn't want to chance anything even though my Doctor told that there had been no known problems.

How does the flu shot work? Does it give you a little flu and then your body learns to fight it? I'm curious b/c I usually get flu every year (though not necessarily in the winter) so maybe I should get one this time. I've never had strep throat or things you can treat w/ antibiotics, just raging viral sinus infections and flu. Earlier this year, I was sick for five straight months and DO NOT want a repeat of that! I wanted one last year b/c it would've been free, but then they ran out.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/

all facts on the flu and the flu shot

I get on every year because I work with a high risk population. If I got the flu I would be sick and miserable for a couple of days but it wouldn't really affect my life too much but the people I interact with could die from it - so I get the shot - simple as that

My only advice is this that if you do get the flu do everyone around you a favor and stay at home and get well. By coming into work and acting like a hero you are only exposing others to your nasty germs. Go ahead and stay in your PJs for a couple of days and watch some crappy daytime TV - you co-workers and those vunerable to the flu will thank you for it

Question: if the flu vaccine works by injecting a tiny bit of the virus so your body learns to fight it, why doesn't your body learn to fight it after actually having the flu three or four times? Why does my body suck?!?! :sigh:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Question: if the flu vaccine works by injecting a tiny bit of the virus so your body learns to fight it, why doesn't your body learn to fight it after actually having the flu three or four times? Why does my body suck?!?! :sigh:

The flu shot is at best a guess.

The vaccine is made up of antigens representing several major pandemic strains plus some which the scientists think may be present in this year's flu season. Basically, it's like a mathematical formula, they try to predict how the virus will mutate and which strain will be the prevalent form in any year.

The flu shot you get only provides you with protection against specific antigens.

If the strain you catch is different, the flu shot will be ineffective because you do not have the relevant antibodies. Additionally, you can catch 3-4 different strains in a season. Your body will produce antibodies each time, but when you are exposed to a different variant of the virus, you will not have an immune response immediately despite having had the flu several times that season.

briarrose said:

For the asthmatics, what medicines do you take?

I take the following every single day :|

asthma
Advair 500-2x a day
Maxair-as needed
Singular-night only

allergies
Allegra 180-daily
Nasonex-1x a day

allergy shots every 3 weeks :drool:

anitram said:

I'm not sure I understand your distinction.

Any strain of flu has the potential to kill the elderly or the immunocompromised.

I cant comment on Canada or America, but the flu vaccinations here are for what the media call 'the killer flu' which is dangerous to the elderly and sick and was brought about once it caused enough damage for the government to care. You'd know more about strains and all that, but it seems to be more serious than a garden variety strain which anyone can get and recover from such as the majority probably posting in here.

AH, I think that's a case of the media going wacko. Because, each year, the scientific community basically decides/predicts what the flu strain will be the following year and then they mass produce the vaccine. They don't make several versions for bad, worse and worst flu and then administer it to patients depending on need. An elderly person will get the exact same flu shot as you will. I think what the media is referring to when they say "killer flu" is that the vaccine is always composed of antigens of previous killer pandemics + some new antigens based on mutation models.

I just found out I can get one at school for $15 so I might do that. I can't right now 'cus I'm already sick.

Back
Top Bottom