Flood 2007

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waynetravis

Blue Crack Supplier
Here are some pics of this past weekend's flood in our area.

This is Valley Gardens. Our town's entertainment complex, it paving and grassed area with a stage (behind the camera), But now its a dirty swimming pool:

DSCF0007-1.jpg

DSCF0006-1.jpg

Those walls peeking just above the water are waist high.

This Piggy Lane, not far from my house, which is a small alley and shortcut to the center of town. You can see fire engines in the back trying to pump out the water. Thats my brother, John (1st pic), in the water. The pathway is sloped, so beyond those railings at the back, the water would be deeper:

DSCF0004-1.jpg

DSCF0003-1.jpg

DSCF0002-1.jpg

My brother said he went to check out the tide, and said it was rough as hell.
Theres a slope that leads down onto the beach, and he said the sea was right at the top of it.
There is also a tidal surge gate that goes across the slope entrance that was'nt closed. So if the sea was any rougher it would of flooded more.

Outside my house the street looking like a river :ohmy:
Luckily it wasn't deep enough to enter the house.

On the news and such they were showing pics and video from all over the area.
One was the RAF Sea King helicopter saving people from the Meadowhall Mall's parking lot in Sheffield.

There was reports of a man in Hull who had went out to clear the drain for his grandfather.
He fell down a manhole after its cover had lifted off and floated away.
Rescuers tried to save him, but the water was too much :(

Scary stuff...East Belfast flooded quite badly last 2 weeks back, luckily West Belfast is on a slope so all the water just kinda runs off.

What's the forecast like for the rest of the week for you guys?

Nein, I'm a Westy...I see you are a fan of Mr Nesbitt...Jekyll has been quite good:drool:

yikes! :eek: My parents live in Lincolnshire, not far from Grimsby, and while they haven't had it as bad as all that, they did have to cancel this outdoor camping/trekking thing because of the water. Hope you're all safe! :hug:

It's flooding here as well.

Towns in the state's northwest are completey underwater, pubs and houses are moving kilometres downstream, one person is dead due to a tree falling on his house :(...

sulawesigirl4 said:
yikes! :eek: My parents live in Lincolnshire, not far from Grimsby, and while they haven't had it as bad as all that, they did have to cancel this outdoor camping/trekking thing because of the water. Hope you're all safe! :hug:

ah Grimsby :)
thats not far from me. it would be about 8 miles by boat or 60 miles if i took a car :lol:

Lies; we dont have a basement, but im sure there are some houses that do :hmm:

interesting turn of events since yesterday..its now boiling hot :sick:

waynetravis said:

ah Grimsby :)
thats not far from me. it would be about 8 miles by boat or 60 miles if i took a car :lol:

Lies; we dont have a basement, but im sure there are some houses that do :hmm:

interesting turn of events since yesterday..its now boiling hot :sick:

I think it is meant to pour down over the next two days...not going to be good with everything already very waterlogged.

our area was the worst hit in the country :( the local dam was very close to bursting and some of my family live in one of the villages that needed to be evacuted. luckily its all drying up now but theres more heavy rain forcast for this weekend. hoping its not gonna be as bad:pray:

craigp said:
luckily its all drying up now but theres more heavy rain forcast for this weekend. hoping its not gonna be as bad:pray:

Fingers crossed. It was really weird here because Pickering flooded really badly but within 24 hours everything had gone back down- just like that! :huh:

One thing I have noticed though. Why is it that whenever it floods in Northern England everyone feels the need to walk through the water regardless as though nothing's wrong?

flood_2007_bike_400x300.jpg
I mean surely there comes a point where you just have to accept that you are not going to be able to complete your journey today? :laugh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom