Flogging Molly- Within a Mile of Home - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2004, 07:09 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:33 PM
Flogging Molly- Within a Mile of Home

This is a wonderful album. Fans of the first two Flogging Molly albums may be taken aback at first. It is very much the same style as the first two albums, but the nuances have gone far beyond simply Irish and punk. There are elements of appalachian and cajun music here, and they work incredibly well. The singalong are still big but not overwrought, and the uptempo songs are nicely balanced with the ballads they've come to master.

My irish/punk spectrum has always gone from The Pogues to Dropkick Murhpys, the former of course being the most folk, the latter the most punk. Flogging Molly always provided a nice balance (and Dave King is better vocalist than Shane McGowan, though not a better lyricist. And while I love the Murphys, Al Barr, Ken Casey and Mike McCulgan have NOTHING on Dave King in regards to music or lyrics). But now it seems as if they've begun leading more towards the Pogues. I know it is unfair in the eyes of some to simply reduce the band to Pogues mach 2, but that's not really what I'm saying. The spirit of the Pogues, the traditional Irish music with the attitude, intelligence, and spirit of punk lives on in the music of Flogging Molly, but the songs are all their own. And you have to love the dedication to Johnny Cash and Joe Strummer. Johnny Strummed his Tommy Gun.

Fans of earlier albums will also note the clarity in the production. This is a large band, and every tin whistle, bazouki, mandolin, and accordian can now be heard along with the ripping electric guitars and gorgeous fiddling. They've never played this well, and they have definitely done justice to the quality of production.

Highlights of the album include "Screaming at the Wailing Wall," "The Seven Deadly Sins," "Factory Girls," "To Youth (My Sweet Roisin Dubh)," "The Light of a Fading Star," "Tomorrow Comes a Day too Soon," and "Within a Mile of Home."
"Screaming..." is an indictment of a certain US President's war and his implicit religious justifications. "Seven Deadly Sins" is for fans of "Salty Dog" with it's breakneck speed and pirate feel. "Factory Girls" is a folky duet with Lucinda Williams, and "To Youth"(my favorite track) is an ode to days long gone in Dave's Homeland (Roisin Dubh is Irish for the Black Rose, a traditional name for Eire). "Fading Star" is an anthemic song about the person that pushes too hard, that has that glow, but goes unnoticed until it has almost burned out. "Tomorrow Comes a Day too Soon" is the cajun number, and the title track, in grand fashion of another Irish band, grows from a whisper to a scream as the resounding chorus swells and swells.

Fans of punk, folk, Irish music, and anything well-written need give this album a listen.

Five out of Five stars. Album of the year, thusfar.

Jason Cash

Old 09-15-2004, 08:24 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:33 PM
holy shit someone started a thread about this.

i didn't cos no one reads threads i start (except for zoney)

good fucking album. i wouldn't call it ground-breaking as nothing they're doing really hasn't been done before, but they do it so well that it soundspretty fresh each time. good fucking album.

actually, my favorite thing has to be how their songs sound more based on a classic song rather than a direct cover or arrangement of a traditional song or a pogues song. as 'another bag of bricks' was a dead ringer for the pogues' 'turkish song of the damned' on drunken lullabies, 'the seven deadly sins' (best pirate song since main street saints' 'pirate song'...although i haven't got a chance to listen to the new briggs EP yet, so...) is similar to 'south australia' (yes, i know it's not technically a pogues song, ignore the coincidence between that and tuskish song of the damned being on the same pogues album. asi i said, coincidence).

Old 09-15-2004, 08:30 AM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

ok, i can't let this go un-noted:

Quote:
And while I love the Murphys, Al Barr, Ken Casey and Mike McCulgan have NOTHING on Dave King in regards to music or lyrics).
fuck that. people like you, people who say things like this, are the kinds of people who make my life difficult. i'm a huge dropkick fan, despite the fact that all of their fans who have been fans since before 2000 seem to have jumped on the 'let's bash the murphys!' bandwagon.

the bottom line is that while they have a really obvious irish influence, they're a punk band. i don't know whether people don't read properly when they read interviews with ken casey or al barr, explicitly stating "we're an american punk band FIRST" or i'm blessed with some special understanding due to the fact that the first DKM songs i heard and grew to love had no irish influence whatsoever.

when people put DKM and flogging molly in the same sentence, i cringe because that means one more person is going to come up to me while i'm wearing a dkm shirt, and ask me what i think of flogging molly. i love them, but where's the person who comes up and asks how i feel about good ol' boston hardcore in the vein of slapshot, gang green, etc.?

it's all good, but the comparrisions really aren't there to be made. you'd say king is a better songwriter than barr or casey, well, you're dealing with a whole different type of songwriting. so it's more like comparing apples and oranges.

p.s. it's McColgan. not McCulgan. nice guy. great frontman. check out his new band street dogs if you haven't. they'll be playing with flogging molly on the upcoming (it may have started already, i don't know, all i know is that it doesn't come to boston until october 1st. tourdates up on the bands' sites, of course. also on that bill, the almighty briggs).
Old 09-15-2004, 10:28 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Sorry about the Mike thing, simple memory lapse.
Also, meant to say vocals, not lyrics. The thing I prefer about King's vocals is that they sort of transcend and genre definition, very much adaptable.

It's hard to explain my feelings on the preference between Murphys and Molly. Basically it's this: I feel that Flogging Molly are the better band, more dexterous in terms of musicianship and master, but I think I'd rather listen to the Murphys frequently. I listen to Do or Die and Blackout almost every day. I think they've got a more fun spirit, and they produce a more enjoyable sound, just less nuanced. Again, as you said, they are first and foremost a punk band. But very few punk bands have that great an influence on their sound, so I think it is reasonable to make comparisons between DKM, FM, Blood or Whiskey, Black 47, the Pogues/Popes, etc. I'm not saying they are the exact same band or even the same approach, or that I'm judging one over another. Is it wrong to compare the Bosstones and Reel Big Fish or any other ska band because the Bosstones have a significantly harder edge than most? I really don't think so. I understand the annoyance. Also remember that I was trying to describe FM's sound by placing them somewhere between the Pogues and DKM, just for the uninformed reader.

In terms of DKM's more folk-arranged originals, World Full of Hate, the Torch, Forever, Far Away Coast, etc. lack the lyrical finesse of similar songs by Flogging Molly. Granted, Dave King has been in the music business about as long as Al Barr and Ken Casey have been alive. That said, I do think that "Caught in a Jar" is possibly the best folkish (though it does get quite raucous) original, and on par with anything by King and co.

Oh, and I'm a big Mike lover. Do or Die really is their best album, but I'd actually put Blackout up there with it. Not really a big fan of Gang's All Here, though. The singles (Curse of a Fallen Soul, 10 Years of Service, Upstarts and Broken Hearts) from the album were fucking amazing, but it seemed as if they hadn't found the proper chemistry between Barr and the rest of the band at that point. I love SLSP, but it sometimes comes across as a singles collection instead of a coherent album to me.

Again, I apoligize for having been so upsetting to you. I'm a big fan of classic punk, not so often that I get into anything now (although the Murphys have sent me looking to different things). I admit my biggest draw is the Irish element, and thus my grounds for comparison. I love both bands (something none of my friends do, lots of big fans on one side or the other, stupid posturing bullshit), and that was the whole point of this post. Peace
Old 09-15-2004, 10:31 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Being from the south, it's also rare that I encounter much Boston punk at all, so sorry again. All we have here are folk bands (which I like) and death metal bands (not so much). Punk scene not really too big in VA.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:17 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

my appologies, i came off as more of a jerk than i really should have. i could try to make all sorts of exuses but any reason i might have had to jump at your post like that is pretty unfair to you, cos simple enough--i don't know you. unfortunatly, since i don't know you from the legions of fans who post shit like "who do u think is better al or mike?!?!?!" threads on DKM boards across the net, i get a little cranky about even the slightest implications. totally my own problem. i understand where you're coming from. i still disagree with you on comparing FM, black 47 et. al, to DKM for the same reason i said before, because even though they do have the songs, that's not just what the band's about. so i don't think you can expect the songs to be worthy of comparisson, for better or worse. comparing the bosstones to real big fish isn't nearly the same thing, because both of them are doing that whole ska-core thing, 100% fulltime. MMB have some songs without horns, yes, but they never completly put down that influence. if you listen to a song like 'pipebomb on lansdowne' you'd never have any idea this was the same band that would go on to do 'bastards on parade'.

'the gang's all here' is probably my favorite DKM album, actually. heh. differnt strokes for different folks. al still more or less had the bruisers thing going on vocally for that album, and the bruisers were one of the best bands to come out of new england. although i like the gruffer growling style, i love the stuff like 'world full of hate' just as much.

see, i'm from MA (although i'm 2 hours west of boston), so i'm extremly biased when it comes to punk/hardcore from the boston area ie. it's more or less the core of what i listen to.

i'm just thinking...the fact that al barr does a really good shane macgowan (dkm covering 'fairytale of ny' kicks ass) doesn't help my case much, does it...
Old 09-15-2004, 05:21 PM   #7
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 08:33 PM
Great, now I want this CD more than I already did......

Maybe this weekend, friendies want to go up to that CD store I found. Crap, I had already told myself what I wanted there, now I have to add to the list
Old 09-15-2004, 08:58 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 09-15-2004, 09:14 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

No harm, no foul. I think as a fan it's more how you approach the music, you know, once the band has put it out there, it sort of takes on a life of it's own beyond what the band intends. Same thing with literature, everyone puts their own spin on it. I do have to say that the DKM marketing department doesn't help the image any. They have, um, 1 shirt with an American Flag, and about 20 with green, shamrocks, kilts, bagpipes, and other celtic iconography. "Shamrock and Roll" for crying out loud. So maybe I'm just brainwashed.

That said, it is kind of annoying. Anything with the Pogues or Flogging Molly looks exactly like the first Murphys shirt I bought. Had I had any foresight I would have purchased a different one. I suppose no one really wants to see Shane McGowan's ugly ass mug (no offense, absolutely fucking brilliant lyricist and vocalist) on a T-Shirt, and as you said, Flogging Molly is much more inherently and intentionally Irish than DKM. But only one member of FM is Irish, the rest are Californians with Irish parents. I'm rambling about pointless info. All that said, I'd still love to see a triple headlining Shane and Popes/DKM/FM show. Can you imagine Al, Ken, Shane, and Dave together singing "Dirty Old Town" or "Wild Rover"?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:18 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

wink

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored

i'm just thinking...the fact that al barr does a really good shane macgowan (dkm covering 'fairytale of ny' kicks ass) doesn't help my case much, does it...
Neither does "Good Rats," or the vinyl version of "Wild Rover". Oh, or the cover of "Billy's Bones".

Also, I'd like to see DKM perform the Bosstones' "Riot on Broad Street" (you have to have heard this song) with Dickie Barret sharing vocals with Al Barr. I swear in high school I would do this dream music festival with collaborations and 50 bands and setlists... I'm such an effing geek.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:37 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

oh, and the cover of vengence. sure it doesn't sound irish, but that's fucking pre-pogues shane.

first time i heard good rats was the version on punk o rama 5, without shane.

Quote:
Can you imagine Al, Ken, Shane, and Dave together singing "Dirty Old Town" or "Wild Rover"?
Quote:
Also, I'd like to see DKM perform the Bosstones' "Riot on Broad Street" (you have to have heard this song) with Dickie Barret sharing vocals with Al Barr.

we can only dream

all of that would rule (yes, of course i've heard 'riot on broad street', i'm a pretty big bosstones fan...sadly i didn't see the light until it was too late...)

hell, i bought a new DKM shirt today, to replace my old one that i've had for about 4 years...all the letters were cracked and mostly peeled off, it had a bunch of holes...and i get the fucking bright green one with the SLSP coat of arms!

actually, i really wanted this shirt. i had about 4 other choices. while i can't find the goddamn bruisers re-release at newbury comics, i can take my pick of a variety of dkm shirts...

al barr's not of irish descent at all /random. scottish-german, i believe.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:39 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

gotta mention street dogs one more time...

'tale of mass deception' and 'in defense of dorchester' (as well as 'fighter' from the 'savin hill' album) are up on the site...www.street-dogs.com

i highly reccomend them. i hate being that person who calls them "mike mccolgan's new band" because they're also johnny rioux's new band, etc...

and i feel pretty sktechy saying this, but it's kind of what it is...'tale of mass deception' is in a couple different ways a sort of update on 'faraway coast'.

not to mention it just rules as a street dogs song unto itself.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:22 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I may pick up Street Dogs' album today, I got a crapload in tips last night. I just have this weird thing with Mike McColgan. I like his voice a lot, but when I see him, he doesn't look like his voice to me. Ken Casey, I think, has the best face/voice match. Ignore my weirdness. Please. Oh, and the Murphy's celtic element extends far beyond Irish, so Al being Scottish still works.

We should petition Flogging Molly to get Mike on stage to do Finnegan's Wake at some of the live shows. (Fanboy dreaming continues)

Gimme a shout some time, AIM:

TheFly22284 or MangledSac (this is a long story, involving ex-girlfriends and trashy romance novels belonging to said ex)
Old 09-16-2004, 07:46 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

You said you don't know me, so...

This is a picture of my girlfriend, Colleen, and I just before I left for Greece and she left for Japan (she's still gone).
I forget if geocities allows remote linking, so I'll try that with no promises, if not just click here http://www.geocities.com/jasonccash/jasoncolleen.jpg

Name: Jason Cash
DOB: February 22, 1984

I'm currently a junior English Major at Bridgewater college in Virginia. I plan on possibly doing two graduate programs, one in film studies, and one in Arthurian Literature. I read a lot, and constantly listen to music. I have no set philosophy on music quality, if I like it I like it, regardless of how indie or mainstream anything is, I'll probably give it a chance. I think there is too much emphasis on credibility, because it's such a difficult thing to define. To paraphrase Kevin Smith, "the first penny you make off of your work, you've sold out." So that's pretty much my philosophy towards music (and movies). I'm also a big movie buff, a big fan of Stanley Kubrick, Kevin Smith, Tim Burton, and Quentin Tarantino. My favorite actors and actresses are Alyson Hanngian, Daniel Day-Lewis, John Cusack, Uma Thurman, Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Jack Nicholson, Johnny Depp, Al Pacino, Nicole Kidman, and Steve Buscemi, among others. I am a bit neurotic, but nobody really notices. I miss my girlfriend who is in Japan at the moment, and um, here are some lists.

Favorite Bands
1)U2
2)Bruce Springsteen
3)Weezer
4)Dropkick Murphys
5)Red Hot Chili Peppers
6)Oasis
7)The Clash
8)Radiohead
9)Led Zeppelin
10)Ben Folds

Favorite Movies
1)Schindler's List
2)Pulp Fiction
3)Citizen Kane
4)Bram Stoker's Dracula
5)Dr. Strangelove: Or How I learned to Stop worrying and love the bomb
6)The Empire Strikes Back
7)Chasing Amy
8)One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
9)The Godfather Part II
10)On the Waterfront

Favorite Books
1)A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man- James Joyce
2)Dracula- Bram Stoker
3)Le Morte Darthur- Sir Thomas Malory
4)The Lord of the Rings- JRR Tolkien
5)A Farewell to Arms- Ernest Hemingway
6)Lolita- Vladimir Nabokov
7)Invisible Man- Ralph Ellison
8)High Fidelity- Nick Hornby
9)Irish Folktales- edited by William Butler Yeats
10)Mrs. Dalloway- Virginia Woolf

songs and albums would be waaay too difficult. There's an overview intro, take care.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:45 AM   #15
Babyface

Local Time: 06:33 PM
i have loved reading this interaction.
i love both bands ,and the apple oranges thing was pretty acurate. but both fruit and fruit is very good.

just wanted to say - noticed in the list of fav. books a nick hornby one. have you read " songlist " by him. it's great. if you love music ( duh? )