Fleetwood Mac - now for something a little different

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i just want to raise this point because on christmas day triple j - a station that features rap, punk, hardcore, experimental, electronic, metal, indie and AUSTRALIAN music - there was plenty of that on christmas day on triple j with a feature live set by gotye at lunchtime and an hour live set by Silverchair for christmas dinner. Yet the feature album of the evening was 'Tusk'. thats right - FLEETWOOD MAC (!?!?!?!)

the common thought is fleetwood mac is music your parents listen to. but what if your parents were cool? hmm...

stevie nicks known as 'the goat' on that south park episode where kyle, kenny, cartman go to afghanistan for christmas - i can sort of hear where trey and matt are coming from but shes a top vocalist - the song 'Sara' is fabulous. and so is 'Over and Over'

Songs of theirs that i kind of liked in the 90s when i was a kid i didnt know the whole Fleetwood mac story:

Sweet Little Lies
Rhiannon
Dreams
Landslide

Yeah well the thing you're referring to is where JJJ let one of their regularly-played artists come on and pick his/her favourite album to play in full... so you get some wildcards. And sure, Fleetwood Mac had their moments, back in the day. In and of herself, as part of that era of Fleetwood Mac (1975-80), Stevie Nicks was great.

Last year about this time, they picked Kate Bush's 'Hounds of Love' and I was inspired to seek it out as a result.

Triple J is displaying a worrying tendency toward playing 'so-called alternative' music these days, in my opinion. They shouldn't touch rubbish like My Chemical Romance with a barge pole, this is the stuff you'll find in the supermarket music stacks even the boss can agree on.

I actually thought the comeback album from a few years ago, Say You Will, was really good. No Christine McVie material as she had left the band after the reunion tour, but I liked her songs the least so it didn't bother me too much. Nicks' voice is a bit more haggard than before, but she still knows how to write a great song. The title track, Thrown Down, and Illume are all great. Buckingham is in pretty great shape, and you can't tell much of a difference with his singing. His guitar playing has grown even better and more eclectic.

The album is a few songs too long, but the good material on it deserves to be included with the Golden Age stuff.

Buckingham is so fucking amazing. Tusk is worth it if only for his awesomely coked-out songs that comprise a good amount of the album.

"Ledge," "What Makes You Think You're The One," "Not That Funny,"That's Enough For Me," "I Know I'm Not Wrong," etc. = :drool:

I don't know the full albums too well, but I bought the 2 CD Hits set and I absolutely love the live version of "I'm So Afraid" among many other songs! I was thinking of buying the remasters, but read online that they were very poorly done -- in some cases, worse than the original discs.

I don't know if they were all poorly done but i have their self titled album, which is the first one with Stevie Nicks and Christie McVie and I love it. I need to get the two disc set. Currently I just have some of their best songs downloaded.

There is a really cool tribute album out there too. I think it is called mystery. I really like the cranberries version of "Go your own way". It is totally worth checking out, along with everything by fleetwood mac.

I also really liked Lindsay Buckingham's latest solo album, Under the Skin. It is amazing! :drool: Kinda New age sounding but really cool.

mediaman44 said:

I also really liked Lindsay Buckingham's latest solo album, Under the Skin. It is amazing! :drool: Kinda New age sounding but really cool.

YES! Underrated album. Really fantastic stuff.

"Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" = :drool:

XHendrix24 said:

YES! Underrated album. Really fantastic stuff.

"Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" = :drool:
How does it compare to the last Fleetwood Mac album, "Say You Will". I was quite disappointed. The songs needed some work. I paid around $20, too! And it always poses problems playing on my Mac computer, even the newer model I got months ago.

Jeez, what a pain the Enhanced function of "Say You Will" is! I just put the CD in and it just kept spinning and not playing on my new mac. I haven't played it in 2 years, so I thought I'd take a nostalgia trip, but it completely malfunctions and jams everything, even when I restarted.

Any other Mac users have this problem?

Also, on a musical note, does anyone know if the only reason the British woman refused to collaborate for that album was because she didn't want to tour? I wish she's at least sung on the album. Forget touring concerns.

lazarus said:
For the record, James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem is a huge fan of "Sara".

In case you were worried about indie cred.

Sara's an amazing song and it sucks that some people might actually be reluctant to admit that they like this band.

MrBrau1 said:

They'd be douchebags.

beavsignal2.jpg

I just acquired the 2-disc remaster of Tusk, and it's nice to finally hear the unedited version of Sara, over 6 minutes. You can't have too much of that song, in my opinion.

I love the album cover for "Rumors."

As a child I got many a good laugh at the balls dangling by Mick's balls.

Actually, I still get a good laugh out of it.

Last edited:
lazarus said:
I just acquired the 2-disc remaster of Tusk, and it's nice to finally hear the unedited version of Sara, over 6 minutes. You can't have too much of that song, in my opinion.

The unedited version has been available all along on CD, though. Just not on Tusk until now. Both the Greatest Hits disc from the 80's and the double Very Best Of from a few years ago contain the unedited Sara.

Way back during the days of Maxell XLIIS tapes, whenever I made a Fleetwood Mac mix, I'd always have to get out the Greatest Hits so I could put the original Sara on there.

MrBrau1 said:
I love the album cover for "Rumors."

As a child I got many a good laugh at the balls dangling by Mick's balls.

Actually, I still get a good laugh out of it.

Same here. :giggle:

Yes, I'm twelve. :tongue:

As for Fleetwood Mac, they were one of the first bands I ever got into, and Rumors is one of the best albums of all time, in my opinion. :love:

I love some of Fleetwood Mac's stuff, and it doesn't get any better than Sara. I think I read somewhere - probably here on the net so it must be true - an interview with Stevie Nicks where she explained that the original composition for Sara was an epic, like around 16 minutes, before being edited down to a more album and radio friendly size. Shame, eh? :(

Lindsey Buckingham's music is also fantastic, haven't yet bought his newest album though...

Back
Top Bottom