Fleeing the country

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:
Nothing has changed...

The Puritans were afraid of the Indians...

Southern plantation owners were afraid of their slaves...

The Cold War was all about fear of the Russians...

Fear! That's what this country is all about, and, honestly, our news media is most of the blame. Watch CBC or BBC news sometime if you can (a lot of PBS stations play BBC World News in the late evening), and pay attention to the different styles of reporting.

After studying this, I lost all respect for the American news media.

Melon

OH MY GOD MELON YOU SAID EXACTLY WHAT I WAS GOING TO!!!!
(Watched Bowling for Columbine lately?)
I have yet to be scared. All of this is being blown way the hell out of proportion. The government wants us to be afraid, just like the terrorists so that we will support their murder for oil campaign.
Honey don't pack up and leave out of fear, do it out of disgust if you must, but not fear.
Hell I am leaving in March anyway, so who am I to talk?
Wanna know why I am scared? Because the CIA just announced the North Koreans have a weapon that can hit the West Coast (where I am.) Hey someone remind me why we aren't trying to stop the people that we know can attack us and who have threatened to.
this is just getting stupid.
Remember when the worst problem america had was blow jobs? My life for a liberal government.

notiti said:

Wanna know why I am scared? Because the CIA just announced the North Koreans have a weapon that can hit the West Coast (where I am.) Hey someone remind me why we aren't trying to stop the people that we know can attack us and who have threatened to.

Exactly what i was going to say too notiti!

This whole North Korea thing is freaking me out more than the terrorists or Iraq ever have.

:| :no:

it is always comforting to see an email from my corporate office stating the following:
[q]Please note: If there is a business need for travel through or into London in the next few days, please stay close to the news as increased security has been placed in the airports and surrounding areas.

Travel Crisis Plan for Declared Emergency or Terrorist Attack

There are steps that should be taken before travel on all trips to limit your risk of danger.

Make sure Travel Services and family or business colleague have been given the following information ?
- Mobile or cell number. International cell phones are recommended.
- Hotel phone and fax numbers.
- Name and contact of those that you will be visiting during your travel.

Make sure that a copy of your itinerary is left with the following people-
- Travel Services
- Co-worker
- Family

Passport copies should be left with ? Providing a copy of your passport will ensure quick replacement in event of loss.
- Co-worker
- Family member
[/q]

:| again i am glad i postponed my vacation.

Sicy said:
I said this in another thread, but seriously.. if something major does happen, do you want to spend your last days depressed and scared?? ENJOY TODAY. Kiss your boyfriend, hug your animals, appreciate things around you while you still have them. Being depressed and scared will not change what may or may not happen. Unfortunatly we as individuals have absolutely no control over this situation, so why make yourselves sick about it.

I'm scared. And living and working in the heart of DC makes me even more terrified, but it's funny that you say that, Sicy. I just started feeling happy and contented last night about my life.

Last edited:
:hug: i really want to say that my fear must be lame compared to those who live in DC, NYC and even London right now. i really don't like the images that i am seeing with military stingers in the capital, military tanks at Heathrow, police and military in NYC carrying machine guns on the street. :|

i actually woke up this morning wondering if i should stock up on the supplies that the gov't is suggesting. not in a million years did i ever think i would have to think about germ warfare, nuclear weapons or suicide bombers. :scream: :crack: :crazy:

:|

[q]
Part of Gatwick Airport closed

030213_gatwick_ST_ap.jpg

This is a critical alert, meaning the situation will impact travel.

February 13, 2003

(iJET) -- A security alert at London's Gatwick International Airport (LGW) prompted authorites to evacuate the North Terminal and suspend flights to/from the terminal this afternoon.

British police told the Associated Press that a 37-year-old Venezuelan national was arrested at Gatwick when officers found a grenade in his baggage after he arrived on a British Airways flight from Colombia.

All flights to and from the Gatwick's North Terminal have been grounded until further notice. Incoming flights not already in holding patterns have been diverted to other airports.

Security personnel have not indicated how long the security alert will last. Some roads to the airport have been closed, and traffic to the North Terminal is being diverted. The transit train between the North and South Terminals has been shut down.

Operations and flights at the South Terminal have not been affected.

Expect flight delays to occur throughout the U.K. airport system, as airlines are unable to keep their flight schedules on time.

Check with your airline or airport of departure for specific flight status.[/q]

dizzy said:

In that case Megan, just go. :hug: Wish you the best. You have to be with Sam at this time. :)

Thanks :) I'm looking into visa stuff now to see if I can do it. I'm just SO worried I'll go there and not be able to get a job and I'll have to be shipped back here. :(

meegannie said:

Thanks :) I'm looking into visa stuff now to see if I can do it. I'm just SO worried I'll go there and not be able to get a job and I'll have to be shipped back here. :(

At least you have starting taking the steps to get there! Hope that helps make you feel at least a little better. I've been miserable and hate to see anyone feeling/going through something similar.

Back
Top Bottom