Fitness Lovers/Freaks.....please help me with a program!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
Alrighty everyone, here is my dilema I am almost 27 and am 5'9 and weigh about 74kilograms. It dosnt sound like I am drastically overweight, buuuuuuut because I am a woman I have put my weight on in my stomach (sometimes I honestly feel as though I could pass for 6 months pregnant if I were to let loose!!!), thighs and bust. I have never struggled with my weight before and basically all of this year I have been watching what I eat (smaller meals, every two to three hours and limited carbs) I've been drinking less alcohol and more water. Still nothing is happening, in the space of 6 months I put on close to eight kilos and it just isnt budging, I tried the gym thing last year, but I didnt like it. I despereately want to loose 5 kilos by Christmas, so is there anyone out there who could recommend a good exercise program for me that can be done at home and dosnt involve heaps of expense??????

Well, I'm a teenage dance student, but my supplementary workout that I do when I'm not dancing might help you. There's a New York City Ballet Workout book and DVD which has a lot of ballet-type exercises that include a lot of exercises focused on the stomach and abs. Some of the exercises require a little flexibility, but you can skip anything that is too hard. I think it's great because it's not a particularly demanding routine, but after two weeks or so your muscles are more toned. It's not that expensive, but you might want a yoga mat because some of the exercises involve lying on the floor. Here's the link in case you want more info: http://www.nycballet.com/programs/workout.html

Good suggestion, U2girl91289

The NYC Ballet is great! I've used it for a couple of years now. Mainly just for the abs section. But it really did the trick.

I know it's really popular right now, but I've gotten into Pilates. A beginner class or DVD usually isn't too difficult.

Well since I have changed my diet andstarted excercising more I have lost 6lbs since the start of August.

Basically I have been drinking lots of water and eating lots of fruit and veg.

A normal day for me would be like this

- Breakfast - Fruit - bananas/ grapes/ strawberries/ pineapple. nectarine (2 of those)

- Small bowl of Bran flakes/ Quinoa porridge is a new favourite

For lunch I usually have a salad or a big plate of fruit or soup.

For dinner I have lots of veg, chicken/ turkey and s small bit of brown rice/wholewheat pasta/ potato.

If I feel hungry I eat more fruit/ raw carrots. I also have a small handful of seeds every 2/ 3 days - i love pumpkin and sunflower seeds. I don't starve myself. If I feel hungry I will eat. I never eat takeaway/ mc donalds/ crisps/ chips etc. (I never did anyway)I have also stopped eating chocolate but i never ate a lot to begin with.Iwanted something sweet last night so had a small piece of one of my sisters low fat biscuits. No point in not treating myself that once. I havent in nearly a month.

I have been excercising loads. I already have toned legs. They are really muscley. Ihave done lots of walking and swimming and some excercises in the morning to tone up my arms/tummy.

It hasn't been that hard. I feel much better for it. I want to feel better, losing weight is just a bonus. I wouldnt want to lose anymore than another half stone though. Thats plenty.

Irish dancing and ballet dancing really helped tone my muscles especially in my legs. I also went to a 10 week dance class with my sister last year which I loved and im trying to convince my friend to go salsa dancing with me at uni when we start back but he wants to do yoga so we may end up doing both. i also play gaelic football for fun some sundays. its a great way to keep in shape that game. :up:

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am going to the pool today to swim a kilometre. After watching the olympics I feel more inspired to get back into the pool (I used to a be a really good swimmer when I was younger) and I will check out that NY site.

go for it Aurora. I can totally relate to what you expressed in your first post here. My weight and fitness has flucuated drastically all through my life. I'm in one of my lowest lows at the moment. It's certainly not just about appearance( but shit, that sure does help) I can't believe how easy it is to let your fitness level slide. It's a constant struggle , made harder by the aging process:sad: My sister said the other day "whoever said life begins at 40 was talking rubbish" :laugh: sad but true.
So get stuck in now girl...go go go :up:
Threads like this really give me some encouragement...thanks:)

Well, try to do cardiovascular workouts like running, swimming, and riding a bycicle. Doing crunches won't help you lose fat on your stomach. That's one of the misconceptions people have. The truth is, crunches make muscle but they won't be seen if they're hidden under fat.

A good website with good information is:

www.bodybuilding.com

Look in the article section for the "Losing fat" category.

Hope this helps. :wave:

(And remember "Pain is just weakness leaving the body" ) :wink:

Last edited:
I too have struggled with my weight for most of my life. Currently I am on the Weight Watchers program. I have lost 82 pounds. I had lost more but I have gained it back :mad:

Three suggestions:

Talk to your Doctor, make sure there isn't something wrong medically before you start trying to lose weight.

Talk to a nutritionist. They can help you come up with an eating plan that works for you.

Get a fitness evaluation. Find out how fit you are and how to use all those fitness machines and weights properly.

The following web site will calculate your bmi (body mass index)

http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom