First Impressions of Earth - new Strokes album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pitchfork gave this a 5.9...Ouch. Considering HTDAAB received a merciful 6.9 that's pretty embarrassing.

I wasn't a fan at all of Room on Fire, so I'm half curious about this new one. I don't see how it can't be an improvement.

yeah, but fuck Pitchfork! they gave 3.6 to CocoRosie's "Noah's Ark" and the album is awesome

I like "First Impressions...", to me is better than "Room on Fire"

lazarus said:
Pitchfork gave this a 5.9...Ouch. Considering HTDAAB received a merciful 6.9 that's pretty embarrassing.

I wasn't a fan at all of Room on Fire, so I'm half curious about this new one. I don't see how it can't be an improvement.

Bands grow and improve. It's quite possible that First Impressions is and will be an improvement, however if you are inclined to listen to the snobs at Pitchfork, than maybe you won't like it.

My brother's 'first impression' was kind of funny - I put it on (he's a fan too) and he reckoned the intro to 'You Only Live Once' sounded like 'Kiss' by Prince! Can't listen to it the same now!

As for the album, it's ok but patchy, like the last record, and miles off how good the first one was. 14 songs is too long for a Strokes album in my opinion.

The new album is excellent.....Electricityscape's instrumental middle made me jump up and down like a madman for about 20 min while I had it on repeat.........

Xavier

definitely interested in this, surprisingly enough. not at all interested in this genre, but the strokes have had some really good pop tunes over the last few years.

12:51 is great, but the end has no end is my favourite. nice melancholic feel to it...

they're certainly not ground-breaking, but they make good songs nonetheless.

No love for Room On Fire here, looks like; I thought it was great. "What Ever Happened," "Automatic Stop," "12:51," and "Under Control" are at least as good as anything on Is This It?

I downloaded the leak for First Impressions, but I've only listened to half of it (I do that all the time and don't know why). I'll put it on now, though.

Last edited:
typhoon said:
No love for Room On Fire here, looks like; I thought it was great. "What Ever Happened," "Automatic Stop," "12:51," and "Under Control" are at least as good as anything on Is This It?

I downloaded the leak for First Impressions, but I've only listened to half of it (I do that all the time and don't know why). I'll put it on now, though.

I loooove Room on Fire :love:

room on fire is my favourite strokes album.

im enjoying the new album alot, it's nice that they are branching out somewhat. does anybody else think "you only live once" sorta sounds like the pretenders?

Back
Top Bottom