first crowded house album after reunion: time on earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:

That's great, cheers for that. My friend's exam is done at 4:15, so I think that we should be able to eat dinner fast enough to get to Rod Laver by tram by 7pm. We're seated too. I guess I'm just nervous after what happened for U2 in Brisbane. The concert began half an hour late because they were taking so long to let seated people into the venue. But that was a much bigger gig. When I saw Split Enz and Finn Brothers in Brisbane, we rocked up at 7pm both times with no troubles.

You should be fine. I'm not getting in till probably 8ish on the Friday night. I reckon Augie March will come on at about 8-8:30....so the crowdies wiil be on at 9-9:30.

bono_man2002 said:
You should be fine. I'm not getting in till probably 8ish on the Friday night. I reckon Augie March will come on at about 8-8:30....so the crowdies wiil be on at 9-9:30.

Cool. Though I checked the Crowdies' website yesterday and apparently there's a second opening act called The Walls. Never even heard of them.

If they don't do Recurring Dream on Thursday, I may just see you there on Friday night. :wink:

Anybody got the set for last night in Sydney? Timothius?

I think this is it...browsing the Frenz Forum at the moment. Wait, were there two nights? If so, this might be the first:

Set List

Private Universe
World Where you Live
Dont stop Now
Fall at your Feet
Whispers & Moans
English Trees
Heaven that I'm Making
Love you till the Day I die
Silent House
Dont Dream it's Over
Pour Le Monde
Walked her Way Down
When you COme
Distant Sun

ENCORE -

Locked Out
Something So Strong
Weather with YOu

ENCORE 2 -

4 Seasons
Italian Plastic
Better be Home Soon,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZQGdXyyF-Yg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wYs8PASRvIk

This was the 2nd set list posted there:

Private Universe
Mean To Me
Don't Stop Now
Fall At Your Feet
Say That Again
Walked Her Way Down
When You Come
Love You Till The Day I Die
A Sigh
It's Only Natural
Silent House
Don't Dream It's Over
People Are Like Suns
Fire In Your Belly (Liam should claim royalties!)
Pineapple Head
Distant Sun
Weather With You

----------
Road To Nowhere
Locked Out
Something So Strong

----------
Fingers Of Love
Four Seasons In One Day
Better Be Home Soon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
another video clip for Weather With You http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__hwLs-0FCY

Last edited:
Oh, I should've thought to look there, cheers Lila. :)

I just had a poke around at some of the other setlists from recent shows, and by the looks of things, Recurring Dream didn't show up at all in New Zealand - and it's not in those Sydney sets. It's got to show up sometime. COME ON MELBOURNE TOMORROW!

Also, I'm intrigued by the idea of Private Universe as an opener ...

By the way, what on earth are Fire In Your Belly and Road To Nowhere? The latter title just makes me think of that annoying "we're on a road to nowhere" song.

I believe they opened with Private Universe in August when I saw them.

Maybe you should have a glow in the dark sign requesting Recurring Dream :wink:

Axver said:
By the way, what on earth are Fire In Your Belly and Road To Nowhere? The latter title just makes me think of that annoying "we're on a road to nowhere" song.
fire in your belly is a liam song. road to nowhere, i'm not sure. the first thing i think of is talking heads, like you said :shrug:

Whee, glad to see this thread pop back up! They didn't open with "Private Universe" when I saw them ("There Goes God" was what kicked off our show), but I like the idea of it being the choice to start things. Good way to slowly build up to the rest of the show.

Khanada's right about those two songs. If they did indeed do the Talking Heads' "Road To Nowhere, I'd love to hear that. Oddly enough, I always thought they could do a great version of that song.

Also, Axver, my fingers are crossed that you get to hear "Recurring Dream" when you go see them :). Hope you have a good time at the show! And thanks for the YouTube links, Lila, shall check those out tonight.

Alisaura said:
I'm absolutely cluless about anything Crowded House has put out since the Recurring Dream best-of, I'm ashamed to admit. :reject: I'll probably want to go and get all the CDs after this gig, cos I probably won't recognise half the songs.

I'll be the tall one, looking confused :wink:

If you need any help in regards to that sort of thing, feel free to ask :). I think I speak for us all when I say we'll be glad to help.

Angela

Last edited:
Aw... That'd be cool if they did that, Khanada.

(Precisely why I like Kufala Recordings-thanks to them I'm now able to hear the show I saw anytime :D. Good stuff)

I didn't hear "Recurring Dream", though, lucky anyone who did. But the setlist we got was great as it was, so all in all, 'tis okay. The main song I can think of that I would've loved to hear but didn't was "Into Temptation".

Angela

Lila64 said:
Maybe you should have a glow in the dark sign requesting Recurring Dream :wink:

:lol:

I wish I knew how to meet them before the gig to request it ...

KhanadaRhodes said:

fire in your belly is a liam song. road to nowhere, i'm not sure. the first thing i think of is talking heads, like you said :shrug:

Ah, right. I forgot that was a Talking Heads song! That's one band who are great at polarising me. On the one hand, they have some cool songs that I really like, while on the other, they made some of the worst songs that ever got stuck on early 1990s Kiwi radio.

Axver said:
Ah, right. I forgot that was a Talking Heads song! That's one band who are great at polarising me. On the one hand, they have some cool songs that I really like, while on the other, they made some of the worst songs that ever got stuck on early 1990s Kiwi radio.
yeah, i totally agree. their earlier stuff was fantastic. their later stuff? not so much.

i wish i could give you advice on how to meet them before the gig, but me and everyone else i've heard from has met them after the gig.

I've known people who've been able to do both, but I'd need to ask them directly how they went about doing that, 'cause I sadly have no experience in that area. But hey, Axver, if that plan doesn't work out, why not try a paper airplane or something?

Regarding the Talking Heads, I dunno, I like the latter songs of theirs that I've heard, personally, but eh *Shrugs*.

Angela

By the sounds of things, some people have successfully met the band before gigs and even gotten into soundchecks. I'm too shy to even figure out how to find them after a gig!

But yeah, maybe I'll go the paper airplane trick. Shame I'm no good at making them! :lol:

Well, that was pretty frickin' cool. :hyper: :up:

Anyone got a setlist, so I can find out what those cool songs were I'd never heard of? :lol: :reject:
I particularly liked that one that went for ages and ages... Something about a hole in a liver??

:der:

Fuck that was a good gig. Really seriously thinking about going tomorrow night. More thoughts will have to wait until later, but here's the set.

1. Private Universe
2. Mean To Me
3. Don't Stop Now
4. Fall At Your Feet
5. Whispers And Moans
6. Heaven That I'm Making
7. She Called Up
8. Hole In The River <-- best song of the night, very powerful
9. When You Come <-- very awesome, and fantastic placement after HITR
10. A Sigh
11. Silent House
12. Don't Dream It's Over
13. Pour Le Monde
14. Distant Sun <-- before this, Neil invited us to stand up, an invitation I did not refuse!
15. Weather With You

16. Locked Out
17. Something So Strong
18. World Where You Live

19. Fingers Of Love <-- bloody excellent
20. Four Seasons In One Day
21. Better Be Home Soon

I also wrote down the sets for The Walls and Augie March if anyone wants them. WTF was up with them not opening the doors until The Walls were already on stage and good to go? Full credit to them though; they were very enjoyable, much better than Augie March, and they won two new fans in the form of Kate and I.

Haha, "hole in the liver" made me laugh, I must admit. It's on the self-titled debut album.

I must look really funny when I'm standing up dancing and rocking out - only to suddenly grab pen and paper to note down the set. But I enjoy it. Also, if anyone heard me, I was the guy who yelled for Recurring Dream ... I think three times. The last was during the final encore after Fingers Of Love, "PLAY RECURRING DREAM! YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO!"

:giggle: I must have been too far away, I didn't hear anyone hollering for Recurring Dream (although I did keep an eye out for someone going crazy whenever I heard a song I didn't recognise... I didn't see anyone going excessively crazy, so concluded they didn't play Recurring Dream)... I was up the back in the upper section. I rather like that venue... seem to get a decent veiw from most seats.

*makes note to find debut album* Fingers of Love and Pour le Monde were awesome too :D

By the way... when those lights came on at the start of Mean To Me... were we supposed to start singing? Cos I totally wasn't ready for that. :lol: :reject:

Setlist for The Walls:

1. Black And Blue
2. Bone Deep
3. Bird In A Cage
4. Passing Through
5. Know Your Love
6. To The Bright And Shining Sun
7. Drowning Pool

Great performance. Bird In A Cage and Bright And Shining Sun were the two real standouts to me. Kate also thought Passing Through was a standout.

Augie March:

1. Sunstroke House
2. Mother Greer
3. The Cold Acre
4. This Train Will Be Taking No Passengers
5. The Baron Of Sentiment
6. There's No Such Place
7. One Crowded Hour

These guys and The Walls really should've swapped places. The Walls were great and got me into the gig; these guys were rather bland. They didn't help matters by choosing the worst opener I've ever heard in my life. Whatever merits that song may have, it was dull and lifeless - far too slow to be an effective opener. The set picked up and I thought songs 4 and 5 weren't so bad. In general, though, it seems to me like they're trying a bit too hard to sound clever and artistic.

Alisaura said:
:giggle: I must have been too far away, I didn't hear anyone hollering for Recurring Dream (although I did keep an eye out for someone going crazy whenever I heard a song I didn't recognise... I didn't see anyone going excessively crazy, so concluded they didn't play Recurring Dream)... I was up the back in the upper section. I rather like that venue... seem to get a decent veiw from most seats.

I was also in the upper section, on the left hand side as you look towards the stage. We entered through Door 14. Shame my voice didn't carry. :(

And yeah, I quite liked the venue, I'm looking forward to going there for Muse next week. I'm so seriously thinking about going to tomorrow's Crowdies gig ... the only seats left are sight restricted, but hell, I can't see much anyway and I doubt it'd matter a whole lot.

*makes note to find debut album* Fingers of Love and Pour le Monde were awesome too :D

By the way... when those lights came on at the start of Mean To Me... were we supposed to start singing? Cos I totally wasn't ready for that. :lol: :reject:

:lol: I don't think so - that surprised me too! Great performance of Mean To Me. I think that out of the songs from the new album, the best live were Pour Le Monde and Silent House. Oh, and Heaven That I'm Making is actually worthwhile live; A Sigh remains filler, but at least it worked as part of a good atmospheric run: Hole In The River, When You Come, A Sigh, Silent House.

I'm quite happy. Sure, I didn't get Recurring Dream, but I got four songs that at various times have been my #1 Crowdies tracks: Mean To Me, When You Come, Fingers Of Love, and Four Seasons. I think that I only heard one song I've heard before; the Finn Brothers did Better Be Home Soon in Brisbane in July 2005, and as Hester was only quite recently deceased then, it was admittedly more emotionally powerful then.

Edit: Just checked the set from the July 2005 show. The other two Crowdies songs the Finn Brothers did were It's Only Natural and Pineapple Head. Thank goodness we didn't get either of those!

Last edited:
Axver said:
I was also in the upper section, on the left hand side as you look towards the stage. We entered through Door 14. Shame my voice didn't carry. :(

Door 11 here, we were sitting right over the door. We got to laugh at all the morons who left when they said "goodnight" :lol: I can't believe there are still people in the world who think the show is really over then.

And yeah, I quite liked the venue, I'm looking forward to going there for Muse next week. I'm so seriously thinking about going to tomorrow's Crowdies gig ... the only seats left are sight restricted, but hell, I can't see much anyway and I doubt it'd matter a whole lot.
Muse... :ohmy: Yet another artist I want to get more of. I've only got Origin of Symmetry.
These iTunes vouchers are gonna get a work-out.

I reckon go for tomorrow night (tonight?) if you can manage it... especially if bass-player-guy's family has a go as well :lol: Is it Nick?

:lol: I don't think so - that surprised me too! Great performance of Mean To Me.
It was good. I kinda got the impression that no one was quite sure what to do when those lights came up... :uhoh:

And what was with the dogs?! :lol:

Fall at your Feet was a stand-out moment for me. :heart:

Edit: Just checked the set from the July 2005 show. The other two Crowdies songs the Finn Brothers did were It's Only Natural and Pineapple Head. Thank goodness we didn't get either of those!
I rather like Pineapple Head :reject: :wink:
Never been a big fan of It's Only Natural though.

Last edited:
Alisaura said:
Door 11 here, we were sitting right over the door. We got to laugh at all the morons who left when they said "goodnight" :lol: I can't believe there are still people in the world who think the show is really over then.

Haha, I just love people who do that. I mean, sure, being stuck in traffic at the end of a gig is no fun, but I'd rather hear everything the band wants to play than beat the traffic! And if you actually think they really are leaving for the night ... here's two words: HOUSE LIGHTS. If they're not on, the gig's not over.

Muse... :ohmy: Yet another artist I want to get more of. I've only got Origin of Symmetry.
These iTunes vouchers are gonna get a work-out.

Your ears demand you get Absolution. Your wallet might also benefit from bit torrents. :wink:

I reckon go for tomorrow night (tonight?) if you can manage it... especially if bass-player-guy's family has a go as well :lol: Is it Nick?

Yeah, Nick Seymour. That banter was funny! If you heard a guy yell "give us free tickets", that was me. Though I think the best part of the banter was about how Nick still has a house in Melbourne - to which Neil retorted "yeah, an investment property"!

Now, how much do I want to part with $90 and probably go by myself ... especially as I have a 2,000 word research essay to do by Monday ...

And what was with the dogs?! :lol:

Fall at your Feet was a stand-out moment for me. :heart:

I rather like Pineapple Head :reject: :wink:
Never been a big fan of It's Only Natural though.

The dogs were there because Neil supports a cause to adopt old racing greyhounds as pets.

I honestly thought Fall At Your Feet was one of the weaker songs, but that's mainly because the Classic Aussie Albums series recently shown on SBS had an episode about Woodface on which Neil played the most gorgeous solo Fall At Your Feet. I kind of expected the full band version to match up to that, but it had no chance.

It seems to me that I'm one of the few people who doesn't think Pineapple Head's very good. I think Khan doesn't like it too, though.

Also, I wonder how alone I am in this opinion: excluding the pseudo-song filler A Sigh and possibly Heaven That I'm Making, Don't Dream It's Over was bizarrely the night's weakest song. Which says something about how good the gig was, as it was an awesome sing-along. But everything else struck me as better.

Glad you all had a great time. I'd go again if I could. I couldn't go to the second night when they were passing through S.Calif. for several reasons, but hubby managed to do so. I'd go for it Axver :yes:

Go, Axver, go!!!

Sounds like a great gig, and the last song I heard in the car this morning was Heaven that I'm making, funnily enough.

So the lights come on for Mean to Me? Not that I'm gonna need any encouragement, I'll be hollering "she came all the way from Americaaaaaaaaa" in a tuneless voice whether anyone likes it or not. :wink:

Oooh, waiting for next Tuesday... :hyper:

(and what's with the It's Only Natural dislike? Tim and Neil :drool: )

I like both "It's Only Natural" and "Pineapple Head", personally :D. I also like "Heaven That I'm Making" and "A Sigh" as well, but eh...*Shrugs*. As I always say, to each their own. blueeyedgirl, feel free to sing your little heart out next week. It's much more fun when you do that. Hope you have a good time!

Alisaura, yes, go check out their debut album-tons of great songs on there. There's days I keep going back and forth between choosing either that album or Woodface as my favorite Crowded House album. And DEFINITELY check out more Muse as well. Yes. Axver is right-go with Absolution next. Speaking of which...

Axver said:
And yeah, I quite liked the venue, I'm looking forward to going there for Muse next week.

...'kay, you've just seen one band I'd love to see again, and now you're going to see another one I want to see again next week? Do you have any idea how much I envy you right now?

Seriously, have a great time at that show as well :).

Anywho, glad you guys had a great time at the show! Sorry you didn't get "Recurring Dream", Axver, but it sounds like the rest of the show more than made up for it, so that's cool. NICE setlist-lucky you getting "Fingers Of Love", I can only imagine how awesome that was! Seems the banter was entertaining as well from the sounds of it, too...happy to see that's still in full force with these guys. And cool story regarding Neil supporting that whole thing with dogs, too. Aw...

"Fall At Your Feet" is absolutely lovely live. That was easily one of the highlights, if not THE highlight, of the concert I was at. And "Silent House" is killer live, too. I also loved hearing "Don't Dream It's Over", personally, but I see what Axver's getting at, too-if that isn't one of the standouts, then yeah, that must've been one heck of a show. Wow. I, too, would definitely ditto everyone else who's saying that you should go again if you can (I sure would, after all), but 'tis ultimately up to you.

As for the opening acts, I've only heard one Augie March song. It's okay. Haven't heard anything by the Walls, though, what are they like?

Angela

Back
Top Bottom