first crowded house album after reunion: time on earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
timothius said:

Surprising They Haven't Been Played (5): Now We're Getting Somewhere, Hole In The River, It's Only Natural, Whispers & Moans, Catherine Wheels, Not The Girl You Think You Are.

After the first show & the warm up you can add three more songs to the list... Catherine Wheels, Not The Girl You Think You Are & Italian Plastic.

Plus live soundboards are being made available of all shows by Kufala... awesome. :up:

Damn, all this setlist stuff looks great. I knew we could count on the Crowdies for good, varied sets with a lot of interesting material. I can't wait for them to hit Melbourne, though with Muse coming here on 15 November, I've definitely ruled out seeing a second show.

I wish my seats were close enough that if I called for Recurring Dream and Kare Kare, they'd hear me, but that's not going to happen and I've never been one for tracking down artists before or after gigs. As much as I want to hear Recurring Dream, I don't think I feel like stalking Neil!

Damn shame they did Not The Girl though. I'd be pissed if I went to a show and one setlist spot were wasted on that.

Also, I'm really warming up to the new album. I love Pour Le Monde, Even A Child, and Silent House, and some of the other tracks are pretty good too. It's a grower. Filler tracks like A Sigh get annoying though.

Oh, and for the Aussies, did anyone watch last night's Classic Aussie Albums episode on SBS about Woodface? Pretty interesting, though I'm disappointed they only discussed a few of the songs. I also would have loved to hear why on earth they put crap like As Sure As I Am, All I Ask, and Italian Plastic on the album.

timothius said:

After the first show & the warm up you can add three more songs to the list... Catherine Wheels, Not The Girl You Think You Are & Italian Plastic.

Plus live soundboards are being made available of all shows by Kufala... awesome. :up:

That's pretty cool with the soundboards, though it's a shame they aren't free torrents. :wink:

By the way, is there any possibility they might play Anyone Can Tell? I adore that song; it's grossly ignored.

In fact, at the first Melbourne gig, what are my chances of hearing my four favourites: Recurring Dream, Kare Kare, Anyone Can Tell, Fingers Of Love? I'm guessing respectively that it's unlikely, very unlikely, not at all, and possible?

And given that Four Seasons In One Day got its title from Melbourne, should I be expecting that?

Four Seasons in One Day got its title from Melbourne?? Excuse ME?? I am offended. :tsk:

Nah jkz.

I haven't listened to the album all the way thru yet. I think I got to Even a Child, which was pretty good, and then Dad insisted we play Chess. Ugh. AND I bought Hunky Dory and Wish You Were Here yestey so now there's even less time.

If/when you guys have some live material, don't forget about me. Remember: Swingers :wink:

:wave: to timothius

I rather like Italian Plastic. Surprised it got played, being a Hester song and all :shrug:

(not keeping up with them of late, sorry :reject: )

Axver said:
Also, I'm really warming up to the new album. I love Pour Le Monde, Even A Child, and Silent House, and some of the other tracks are pretty good too. It's a grower. Filler tracks like A Sigh get annoying though.
i agree. i like pour le monde and even a child, but a sigh is terrible. plus i'm not fond of don't stop now at all, i'm not sure why they chose that as the first song. :huh: makes them come off as some easy listening band. then again, this album isn't exactly fast-paced or anything. it has its moments, but on the whole it seems pretty mellow.

as far as singles go though, i'm glad they chose she called up as the second one. it's one of my favourite tracks off the album.

i'm getting really psyched to seeing them next month. unlike axver though, i have no problem tracking down a band after a show :wink: although we're just talking i line up outside wherever the meet and greet is, i don't follow them to their hotel or crazy shit like that. i've been able to meet almost everyone i've seen like that, aside from all the big name acts like U2 of course, because i've really no desire to line up outside for hours just to shake bono's hand.

Axver said:

I like A Sigh, the beginning of it reminds of Kare Kare, kinda. I'm loving Silent House, I can't get that off repeat. I even have a soft spot for Transit Lounge, tho the House really shouldn't try funky beats :wink:

Oh, and for the Aussies, did anyone watch last night's Classic Aussie Albums episode on SBS about Woodface? Pretty interesting, though I'm disappointed they only discussed a few of the songs. I also would have loved to hear why on earth they put crap like As Sure As I Am, All I Ask, and Italian Plastic on the album.

YES!!!! I loovveedd it, watching Neil play Fall at your feet on the acoustic brought tears to my eyes, it was just gorgeous. And I think the programme was more interested in the Neil/Tim dynamic to talk about the other stuff, and it's hard to talk about Paul's music without Paul. :sad:

I'm so :hyper: about the concert now....

Axver said:

That's pretty cool with the soundboards, though it's a shame they aren't free torrents. :wink:

By the way, is there any possibility they might play Anyone Can Tell? I adore that song; it's grossly ignored.

I'm sure the boots will be as expensive or as cheap as people want them to be. It just depends where you look.

Surely Anyone Can Tell was superseeded by Everything Is Good For You. The relationship between the two is similar to that of The Fly & Lady With The Spinning Head, wouldn't you think. As good a song as both ACT & LWTSH are I'd say getting what were essentially demos up is unlikely. You are more than welcome to jump onto the Everything Is Good For You bandwagon I'm pushing though - all North Americans too.

Axver said:
In fact, at the first Melbourne gig, what are my chances of hearing my four favourites: Recurring Dream, Kare Kare, Anyone Can Tell, Fingers Of Love? I'm guessing respectively that it's unlikely, very unlikely, not at all, and possible?

And given that Four Seasons In One Day got its title from Melbourne, should I be expecting that?

Recurring Dream is on like a 5 gig stretch, if you were going tommorrow you'd almost bank it, who knows by November.

Kare Kare depends on wether somone requests it really, the pattern seems to be... request -> half arsed attempt in response to request -> go away and practice at soundcheck -> in the setlist the next gig. It gives Mark a chance to sing it though.

Fingers of Love, it's on TA which always helps. It's gone missing lately though.

On that SBS show I thought it threw up a few interesting things which hadn't been put out elsewhere namely the Chocolate Cake & Weather With You samples and the alternate Cake lyrics. Apart from that it was pretty ho-hum, struggled to figure out what impact the I Got You film clip had to do with the album at hand. :down:

Er, Neil joins big brother's band, writes mega No. 1 hit, usurps big brother's role in band, sets off mega-Catholic guilt that results in Neil punching big brother in Byron, then telling metaphysical hippy to fuck off???? :huh:

or sumfin....

:D

KhanadaRhodes said:
i agree. i like pour le monde and even a child, but a sigh is terrible. plus i'm not fond of don't stop now at all, i'm not sure why they chose that as the first song. :huh: makes them come off as some easy listening band. then again, this album isn't exactly fast-paced or anything. it has its moments, but on the whole it seems pretty mellow.

as far as singles go though, i'm glad they chose she called up as the second one. it's one of my favourite tracks off the album.

See, for me, swap your opinions of Don't Stop Now and She Called Up and you get my view. I still don't think Don't Stop Now should have been the lead single though. It feels like a fourth or fifth single, if one's required. I think Pour Le Monde or Even A Child would have been a better lead single.

In any case, the whole album is far too schizophrenic in its attitude of "hey, this is Crowded House, yeah! Wait, this is mellow Neil-is-getting-old shit ... HELLO CROWDIES! Mellooowww. CROWDIES!"

I can't wait for the actual band to get its arse in the studio and write a proper Crowdies album from the very start.

I like A Sigh, the beginning of it reminds of Kare Kare, kinda. I'm loving Silent House, I can't get that off repeat. I even have a soft spot for Transit Lounge, tho the House really shouldn't try funky beats :wink:

I was going to burn you for heresy for daring to compare shit like A Sigh to the atmospheric perfection of Kare Kare, but your praise of Silent House gets you off the hook.

Plus, I don't have legal jurisdiction to burn heretics in Australia. When you visit New Zealand, though ... :evil:

Originally posted by blueeyedheretic
YES!!!! I loovveedd it, watching Neil play Fall at your feet on the acoustic brought tears to my eyes, it was just gorgeous. And I think the programme was more interested in the Neil/Tim dynamic to talk about the other stuff, and it's hard to talk about Paul's music without Paul. :sad:

See, I felt they overdid the Neil/Tim thing. Sure, that was a critical component of the album, but that meant it over-emphasised a few songs at the expense of most of the album. And I wish we'd heard more about There Goes God than just having it over the credits! That acoustic version of Fall At Your Feet really raised my opinion of that song though - Neil sung and played it so beautifully.

All through the show though, I kept thinking "oh man, I miss Paul so much. This without his contribution is not what it should be."

timothius said:
I'm sure the boots will be as expensive or as cheap as people want them to be. It just depends where you look.

Got tips for the cheaper end of the market? If you don't want to post, my e-mail's not one to talk. :wink:

Surely Anyone Can Tell was superseeded by Everything Is Good For You. The relationship between the two is similar to that of The Fly & Lady With The Spinning Head, wouldn't you think. As good a song as both ACT & LWTSH are I'd say getting what were essentially demos up is unlikely. You are more than welcome to jump onto the Everything Is Good For You bandwagon I'm pushing though - all North Americans too.

See, I completely disagree here. I feel like EIGFY is the demo to Anyone Can Tell's awesomeness. I think Anyone Can Tell has more energy and spark, and most importantly of all, a far better and more soaring chorus.

But hell, I can go for EIGFY in concert. It's close enough.

Recurring Dream is on like a 5 gig stretch, if you were going tommorrow you'd almost bank it, who knows by November.

FOR FUCK'S SAKE! This is just my luck! They'll play the shit out of the song and then I won't hear it. In fact, knowing my luck, Melbourne I will be the only Aussie gig to NOT get Recurring Dream.

Then again, I have had some good luck with U2 and heard nearly every song played on the Vertigo Tour that I actually wanted to hear (I only missed out on Crumbs From Your Table and Fast Cars).

On that SBS show I thought it threw up a few interesting things which hadn't been put out elsewhere namely the Chocolate Cake & Weather With You samples and the alternate Cake lyrics. Apart from that it was pretty ho-hum, struggled to figure out what impact the I Got You film clip had to do with the album at hand. :down:

As much as the "excess of fat on your American bones" line was a controversial inclusion to say the least, that "excess of fat on your savings and loans" just felt so forced that I'm glad they didn't wimp out and use it.

And hey, who cares if there was any reason for I Got You - it was still fun. :wink:

Axver said:
See, for me, swap your opinions of Don't Stop Now and She Called Up and you get my view. I still don't think Don't Stop Now should have been the lead single though. It feels like a fourth or fifth single, if one's required. I think Pour Le Monde or Even A Child would have been a better lead single.

In any case, the whole album is far too schizophrenic in its attitude of "hey, this is Crowded House, yeah! Wait, this is mellow Neil-is-getting-old shit ... HELLO CROWDIES! Mellooowww. CROWDIES!"
wow, really? i don't hate don't stop now but it's a weak song for me. pour le monde or even a child would've been good, though.

and you're right, it is incredibly schizophrenic. not to mention matt doesn't even play drums on a lot of the songs, meaning they're not even technically crowded house songs. it's like woodface part two. and the results are the exact same as woodface, there's a lot of good songs there, but the album comes out sounding so uneven because you've got, say, half an album of solo material and half an album of crowded house material. you can't just combine the two together and it'll somehow magically fit.

Originally posted by Dr. Dre
See, I want to find Neil before the gig to ask for Recurring Dream. I generally have no need nor desire to meet artists, but I want to hear Recurring Dream so badly. Seriously, everyone, request it.

But personally, I'm 1. shy, 2. half-blind, and 3. just generally incompetent at this stuff, so I don't see myself ever successfully requesting the song or meeting Neil at all. Maybe I should just hire Halup? He seems to meet Neil more than Neil's own family do. :wink:
it's funny, i don't really ever have requests for artists. for the most part (really, just excluding the last time i saw U2) i'm happy with whatever they end up playing. i just like meeting them afterwards so i can do the usual crap where i get their autograph, picture, and say some cliched crap. everyone i've met is so genuinely nice it's hard to tell whether they actually mean what they say or if it's the same lines they say for everyone.

i know what you mean though. i can be pretty shy, too. i usually stand there at first kinda quiet and then my brain goes "what are you doing you idiot tell them something!!" and then i just start rambling. but yeah, hiring halup wouldn't be a bad idea. :wink:

Halup said:

You list Never Be The Same as a possible song, but I don't think it will get played. The first Crowded House show I saw was on the Temple Of Low Men tour and I remember they played 9 of the 10 songs form that album, but did not do Never Be The Same, which is one of my favourites from that album. I've seen Neil almost 30 times since then and have never seen this song live.

Never Be The Same got a run at the Denver show. I have come to collect my winnings Halup! :wink:

Hole In The River, Chocolate Cake, Whisper & Moans, She Goes On, How Will You Go, Catherine Wheels & Not The Girl You Think You Are have all reared their heads as well at one point or another.

Lila64 said:
:giggle:

Going to see them on Saturday night! :hyper:

I'm going to see them on a Saturday night.

You should have a good time Lila, they are doing wicked by all reports. You might even score a Beatles cover if your lucky!

I take it Halup is hitting the Greek Theatre too?

What Beatles song :hmm: I haven't been following the tour or the Frenz forum.

The Greek Theater show would be cool to catch as well, but it's the night before the first day of school, so... Hubby might try & catch it with his friend. :sigh:

Lila64 said:
What Beatles song :hmm: I haven't been following the tour or the Frenz forum.

The Greek Theater show would be cool to catch as well, but it's the night before the first day of school, so... Hubby might try & catch it with his friend. :sigh:

A Day In The Life.

If you aren't going Greek, what show are you going to?

Just got back :hyper:

Setlist taken from the Frenz forum. They filled in the song titles I was unsure of :reject:

Private Universe
There Goes God
Fall At Your Feet
Say That Again
Heaven That I'm Making
Nobody Wants To
Whispers and Moans
Silent House
Don't Dream It's Over (w/Everly Brothers' "Dream"snippet)
Pineapple Head
Evelyn (Neil on keyboards only, said it was from '77. Hubby said it is old/b-side Split Enz. I'm sure Timothius will inform us :wink: )
"Fernando" (Nick singing :giggle:
People Are Like Suns
Walked Her Way Down
When You Come
Distant Sun
"The Encore Song"
Locked Out
Weather With You
Something So Strong
World Where You Live
and a couple of verses acoustically of Better Be Home Soon

SB Bowl has a strict curfew apparently, so they really finished with World Where You Live, and then Neil starting singing a few verses acoustically with the band of Better Be Home Soon - I think Mark played a couple of notes on the keyboard.

All in all, I enjoyed it! :D

Oh, and I have about 10 20-second clips I have to unload from my phone. If anyone wants to see them, lemme know and I can upload to You Tube or something...

so should I upload these clips to you tube? The video is pretty crappy from my phone, but the audio still sounds good. And it was from earlier this evening....

Back
Top Bottom