first crowded house album after reunion: time on earth - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #226
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes
it was the first adult contemporary artist that came to mind
Ah.

Quote:
i definitely agree about the album being obvious where you can tell which songs are crowded house, and which were neil solo. i think woodface was like that, too. surely after woodface got slammed for being so uneven, you'd think neil would've learned to not combine albums anymore!
Yeah. But when you just kinda spontaneously decide to change the direction of the album, that sort of stuff never enters your mind. Uneven as it may be, though, I still like Woodface *Shrugs* .

COBL_04, woo, glad you had fun at the show! Hope to hear the rest of your thoughts on the concert when you have more time.

Angela

Old 11-12-2007, 09:25 AM   #227
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 09:59 AM
Bah! I had a really long response nearly complete and then I somehow lost it. So I'm not ignoring this thread! It's just that it's 1:30am and I don't feel like writing it all out again.

But I will respond to one thing Khan said ...

Quote:
i think woodface was like that, too. surely after woodface got slammed for being so uneven, you'd think neil would've learned to not combine albums anymore!
Yeah, well, the problem with that is how Woodface seems to be the widely worshipped album. I mean, it was Woodface, not the eponymous debut or Together Alone, that got featured on Classic Aussie Albums. That gets a big WTF from me. Everything after Fame Is, excluding How Will You Go, is dull and unlistenable crap. It's the only Crowdies album where I extensively skip material and I think it is blatantly their worst. Time On Earth, for all its flaws, slays Woodface.

But Together Alone remains their strongest, most consistent, most artistically accomplished and mature piece of work.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-12-2007, 10:19 PM   #228
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlit_Angel
Yeah. But when you just kinda spontaneously decide to change the direction of the album, that sort of stuff never enters your mind. Uneven as it may be, though, I still like Woodface *Shrugs* .
oh yeah, i like woodface too, but i think it's one of those albums where the songs are good, but when you listen to it as a whole, it sounds like a poorly-made fanmix. you know how everyone always makes their own compilation albums? of course some people aren't great at it, and woodface reminds me of something a less talented person would put together, in terms of track order. htdaab is like that, too. i don't not like the songs on the album, but the flow is weird.

anyway, as for my favourite album, i'd have to pick temple of low men. i love that one. together alone would be second.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #229
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:59 AM
Neil's albums are better understood seen live I think. I had Everyone Is Here written off as some faux-folk, but after seeing it live it made a lot more sense and now I would consider it a really great album.

Time On Earth is the same way, but I agree you could trim the fat ala Woodface. Together Alone could do with fattening up though, how Zen Roxy and I Am In Love didn't make the cut we'll never know.

Next year's album should be good - two months solid recording in Neil's (finally) finished studio - the genius Mark Hart will be on board. Together Alone may have a rival.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #230
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Khanada, I see what you mean with Woodface. I think that's a rather apt description of it . I agree, it probably could flow better, but I can only imagine how difficult that may be sometime when it comes to making albums. I'm making a mix CD for an exchange right now and have changed the song list probably 20 times already to make it flow properly-at the rate I'm going the people I'm sending the CD to will probably get it, oh...late next year .

I like Temple Of Low Men, some of my all-time favorite Crowded House songs are on there, but for some reason I don't listen to it as often as other ones. Hm.

Quote:
Originally posted by timothius
Neil's albums are better understood seen live I think. I had Everyone Is Here written off as some faux-folk, but after seeing it live it made a lot more sense and now I would consider it a really great album.
I love Everyone Is Here-there's so much on there I can relate to, and it always brings back memories of me listening to it over and over during the fall/winter months when we first moved to Wyoming.

But you are definitely right, hearing certain albums live can sometimes really change your opinion of them. It's certainly been the case with me.

Quote:
Time On Earth is the same way, but I agree you could trim the fat ala Woodface. Together Alone could do with fattening up though, how Zen Roxy and I Am In Love didn't make the cut we'll never know.
It's funny that people talk about Time On Earth being long-whenever I listen to it I always find myself being amazed that I'm at song 9 or 10 already. As for "I Am In Love"...gah. Afterglow has so, SO many good songs on it, seriously... Most bands would kill to have B-sides that good.

I can't remember now if I've heard "Zen Roxy" or not-if I have, it's been a long time ago. I know I've heard of it, though.

Quote:
Next year's album should be good - two months solid recording in Neil's (finally) finished studio - the genius Mark Hart will be on board. Together Alone may have a rival.
. Can't wait. Bring it on.

Angela
Old 11-14-2007, 05:27 PM   #231
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
So the lights come on for Mean to Me? Not that I'm gonna need any encouragement, I'll be hollering "she came all the way from Americaaaaaaaaa" in a tuneless voice whether anyone likes it or not.
Someone got tipped off. Did they play it in Adelaide? No!!!

Oh well, I still got to shout along to Fall at Your Feet, When you Come, Something so strong.... AND we got the greyhounds!!! It's very weird walking out of the Ent Centre after a gig and seeing greyhounds standing in the forecourt at 11.00 pm of an evening...

oops almost forgot, Neil did Message to my Girl on the piano. I swooned.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #232
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Someone got tipped off. Did they play it in Adelaide? No!!!

Oh well, I still got to shout along to Fall at Your Feet, When you Come, Something so strong.... AND we got the greyhounds!!! It's very weird walking out of the Ent Centre after a gig and seeing greyhounds standing in the forecourt at 11.00 pm of an evening...
LOL .

Sorry that you didn't hear "Mean To Me", but yay for getting to belt out those other songs! I'm glad you had a good time .

Quote:
oops almost forgot, Neil did Message to my Girl on the piano. I swooned.
...ohhhhhhhhh, no fair! Lucky!

I would've swooned, too. Oh, yeah (I certainly did that to "Fall At Your Feet", after all).

Angela
Old 11-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #233
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I certainly count myself very lucky - Message to My Girl twice, last year with the Enz and the other night. God I love this band!

And the set list, courtesy of those fine folk at the Frenz Forum:

Private Universe
World Where You Live
Don't Stop Now
Fall @ Your Feet - Quote Neil "Sing it with me Adelaide"
Say That Again
Walked Her Way Down
Transit Lounge
In My Command
Silent House
Hole In The River
Don't Dream It's Over
Pour Le Monde
Message To My Girl
Distant Sun
Weather With You
---------------------
---------------------
Locked Out
Something So Strong
Riders On The Storm - Nick on Vocals
4 Seasons In 1 Day
---------------------
---------------------
When You Come
Not The Girl You Think You Are
Better Be Home Soon

And can I again mention how much Adelaide Ent Centre staff suck! It was a seated concert and NOONE stood until Distant Sun, when people started rushing the stage and then the fascists tried to send them back to their seats! Thankfully Neil told the ushers to leave them be and then we all could get up and groove. Geez Louise!

Also, Neil is getting better and better looking with every year. This is a fact
Old 11-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #234
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Message To My Girl? I'm officially jealous now!
Old 11-14-2007, 08:25 PM   #235
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I certainly count myself very lucky - Message to My Girl twice, last year with the Enz and the other night. God I love this band!
*Whimpers* Can I go with you to future Finn shows?

Sounds like a great setlist there. "Riders On The Storm", eh? Hmmm...curious how that would've sounded .

Quote:
And can I again mention how much Adelaide Ent Centre staff suck! It was a seated concert and NOONE stood until Distant Sun, when people started rushing the stage and then the fascists tried to send them back to their seats! Thankfully Neil told the ushers to leave them be and then we all could get up and groove. Geez Louise!
. It's stories like this that make me appreciate the crowd I was in more and more (it's so weird to hear stories of people in Australia just sitting there, whereas the crowd here in Colorado was on fire, given that Crowded House's popularity in Australia was considerably greater than it was here in the States. Wonder why that is?).

Neil's seemed to be battling with the ushers quite a bit over the years, hasn't he? As well he should. I understand in a way the security's line of thinking, given some of the crazy stuff that's happened at concerts over the years, but at the same time, if they want to jump about and come close, and if they're allowed to come close, let them.

Quote:
Also, Neil is getting better and better looking with every year. This is a fact
. Mmhm. You speak the truth. He looked good when I saw him (hehe, he removed his suit jacket and there were a few people in the crowd who voiced their approval of that ).

Angela
Old 11-14-2007, 09:12 PM   #236
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Oooh yeah...

And future Finn concerts? Any time, Angela! Looking forward to seeing you down under
Old 11-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #237
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Oooh yeah...
. And of course there was that lovely accent, too-was nice hearing that up close.

Quote:
And future Finn concerts? Any time, Angela! Looking forward to seeing you down under
Woo! Someday I will get to your part of the world. This is a goal of mine. I look forward to meeting up with you guys and taking in a show when that day comes .

Angela
Old 11-21-2007, 04:30 AM   #238
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Anyone hear about an 11 CD Split Enz import box set coming out, digitally remastered plus the Rootin' Tootin' Luton Tapes? Not that I'm interested... just thought I'd share the info
Old 11-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #239
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
Anyone hear about an 11 CD Split Enz import box set coming out, digitally remastered plus the Rootin' Tootin' Luton Tapes? Not that I'm interested... just thought I'd share the info
yeah, enz to enz i think?

i've got my box sets (oddz and enz; rear enz), my remastered cds, and my soon-to-arrive club copy of luton, so i don't need to shell out money for that box set.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:34 AM   #240
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

i just remembered to look; it is called enz to enz.

and 10 of the 11 discs are the remastered albums (beginning of the enz - see ya 'round) plus luton. i'd recommend anyone just get luton separately unless you've never gotten around to getting the remasters. if you haven't, then you should buy them. they're worth the upgrade

Tags
crowded house