Firefly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me

Take me out to the black
Tell 'em I'm not coming back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me

There's no place I can be
Since I found Serenity
But you can't take the sky from me

I have the Ballad of Serenity memorized, so yes, I'd say I'm a gorramed fan :wink:

Sure, Mal's a badass, but it's all about Jayne.

"Dear Diary...today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever."

:up:

I initially was reluctant to watch this show because of my distaste for Buffy and Buffy fandom. But for the hell of it I borrowed a friend's DVD of Serenity and was pleasantly surprised, the dialogue not nearly as contempo and precious as I expected. I went back and bought the Firefly boxed set (which is only like $20 at Target), and loved the whole thing.

Rumor is that at some point another film might be made, but obviously it would be mising a couple characters...

Nathan Fillion is way too cool to be on television and in minor film roles. This guy should be huge.

Oh, one other thing is that fans of Firefly should try to hunt down the old British show Blake's 7, about another group of space-travelling mercenaries who are part of a resistance against a totalitarian Federation. Unfortunately it shares the production value of mid-to-late 70's Doctor Who (and was actually created by one of its writers), but the characters and scripts are top notch, and much darker than you would expect. If you see a few episodes you will easily see how influential it was on Whedon's creation.

Unfortunately I don't think the 4 seasons are available in the U.S. on DVD, but you can find torrents for them if you look for them.

Was a big fan of Buffy and Angel for what they were, despite their constant cheating dramatically. They could be moving at times and were -- most importantly -- funny. I saw the pilot of Firefly and a few bits and pieces of episodes. I quite enjoyed the movie "Serenity", but still the characters weren't nearly as good as the best ones on Buffy and Angel and not as funny either.

I'll always resent Firefly for taking away vital creative energies away from making Angel Season 4 funnier and better and from giving especially Buffy (whose last season was attrotious) a proper send-off. What a waste, though it's great if Firefly fans enjoyed it, I suppose.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Sure, Mal's a badass, but it's all about Jayne.

damn skippy! :love: I looooooove Jayne!

lazarus said:
Oh, one other thing is that fans of Firefly should try to hunt down the old British show Blake's 7, about another group of space-travelling mercenaries who are part of a resistance against a totalitarian Federation. Unfortunately it shares the production value of mid-to-late 70's Doctor Who (and was actually created by one of its writers), but the characters and scripts are top notch, and much darker than you would expect. If you see a few episodes you will easily see how influential it was on Whedon's creation.

Unfortunately I don't think the 4 seasons are available in the U.S. on DVD, but you can find torrents for them if you look for them.

thanks! I'll have to see if I can find that somehow.

Last edited:
lazarus said:
I initially was reluctant to watch this show because of my distaste for Buffy and Buffy fandom. But for the hell of it I borrowed a friend's DVD of Serenity and was pleasantly surprised, the dialogue not nearly as contempo and precious as I expected. I went back and bought the Firefly boxed set (which is only like $20 at Target), and loved the whole thing.
I went through almost the same thing. I had a friend who was a huge Whedon fan, and especially a Buffy fan, but I had no interest, because although I'm into vampires, I subscribe to the Anne Rice school of vampires, which is completely different.
But then I kept hearing about Firefly and I thought it sounded decent, and then I kept seeing quotes and references to Firefly on LiveJournal, and I was getting tired of not getting them :lol: so I borrowed the Firefly DVDs from the library and watched them and loved every moment. Then I bought Serenity. Then I bought Firefly :up:

I love Firefly, I have the entire series on DVD and the movie too.

Firefly includes the best performance of Zac Efron's career :wink:

Back
Top Bottom