Fire Gary Bettman! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2004, 06:21 PM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 08:37 AM
If you're going to hate Bettman, you have to hate Goodenow, too.

One man did not exclusively make this mess, and it will take more than one man to fix it. As they say, it takes two to tango.

Old 12-17-2004, 07:30 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:37 AM
Quote:
If you're going to hate Bettman, you have to hate Goodenow, too.
no i don't. i hate bettman because he's a flaming ball of arrogance, rhetoric, and dodges every question put to him back at the interviewer. i remember at the all-star game last year, when ron maclean was asking bettman questions about the possible lockout, every second answer out of bettman's mouth was "can we cut the rhetoric ron?", no matter what it was.

bettman's view is that if you don't think precisely the same as he does, you're wrong, and if you don't speak the same words he does, you're a liar and an idiot. that's why i hate him. not for the job he has, but for the person he is (at least in public).

bob goodenow's at least a halfway decent person.

Old 12-17-2004, 07:45 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 08:37 AM
Fair enough, I guess. Although I don't know either of them to make character judgments, even based solely on their public personas.

I was speaking specifically in terms of the lock-out (and mentioned Bettman and Goodenow as they are the public "faces" of this dispute). This situation was created by a number of factors and neither side is solely to blame. That's all.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:17 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

oh, i know that both sides are to blame in this lockout issue. i just can't comprehend how the owners keep bettman around.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:18 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
oh, i know that both sides are to blame in this lockout issue. i just can't comprehend how the owners keep bettman around.
They keep him around for the very reasons you've outlined.

Because he's stubborn and unilateral.

In that regard, from the owner's perspective... he couldn't be doing a better job.

Personally I'm not a fan.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:46 PM   #21
Acrobat

I do not "hate" bettman. I think he's the wrong man for the job, unwilling to admit the mistake that was expanding the league into atlanta, nashville, florida, north carolina, columbus, and on and on.

He got greedy for the large entrance fee an NHL franchise must pay to join the nhl, and now he's beholden to those foolish owners who created nhl teams in unsustainable markets.

So now there is a glut of "nhl" players, that recieve large contracts for past achievements and the "experience" they bring to a locker room, which in turn drives up the market. In addition, there are minor leaguers being forced into the bigtime (see Columbus, Atlanta, Nashville, etc), which in turn forces coaches to resort to clutch and grab, system hockey in order to compete. Not a good set of circumstances for entertainment. And the end result of this is that too many major markets are out of the mix each year, and that's what drives a regional sport.

Bettman doesn't ackowledge these problems, and continues to stump for more mediocrity in a desparate sport. This is why he must go.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:52 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I just read in the Globe & Mail that Bettman was voted one of the worst business managers in the U.S. :

Two minutes for delay of game

By PAUL WALDIE
From Thursday's Globe and Mail E-mail this Article
Print this Article

As if the National Hockey League didn't have enough to worry about, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has been rated one of the worst managers in the United States by a major business magazine.

In its recent issue, BusinessWeek put Mr. Bettman fifth on its list of the seven worst managers of 2004. He joined the leaders of some of the business world's most troubled companies in the magazine's annual rankings. Also included were Raymond Gilmartin, chief executive officer of Merck & Co., the makers of Vioxx; Scott Livengood, the CEO of Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, which faces a regulatory probe into its accounting practices; and Disney chief Michael Eisner, who was forced to step down as company chairman amid a shareholder revolt. Frank Dunn, former chief executive of Nortel Networks Corp., ranked third on a separate list of "fallen managers."

The magazine said Mr. Bettman was selected because: "Arenas have been empty since Sept. 15, when National Hockey League owners locked out the players."

"NHL finances are in shambles, and the weak TV deal signed with NBC last spring suggests the league has little leverage and is now a second-tier sport. ..... Under Bettman, the NHL has been skating on thin ice for years."

The ranking brought a sharp rebuttal from Calgary Flames co-owner Harley Hotchkiss, who is also chairman of the NHL's board of governors.

"Gary has given us, we believe, great leadership through some very challenging times and he really has 100 per cent support of our ownership group. So I'm surprised and disappointed that he is on that list," Mr. Hotchkiss said yesterday.

The owners and players are locked in a dispute over revenue sharing and salary limits. There has been no progress and the owners could cancel the season when they meet next week in New York. The league has said its 30 teams lost a combined $273-million (U.S.) on operations in the 2002-03 season.

Mr. Hotchkiss wouldn't comment on next week's meeting. "I know I don't like it at all," he said referring to the labour dispute. "The alternative for us is far worse. If we don't find a system that works for everyone then there is no future for our franchise in Calgary."

BusinessWeek said the rankings were based on submissions from its 130 writers and editors from around the world.

The BusinessWeek list wasn't the only dubious honour for Mr. Bettman this week. The Sporting News released its annual list of the 100 most powerful people in sports and Mr. Bettman ranked below Janet Jackson's right breast.

The U.S. magazine rated Ms. Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" during the 2004 Super Bowl halftime show 38th because it changed how other sporting events were broadcast. Mr. Bettman ranked 40th, falling from 13th last year.

Adding to the insult, Mr. Bettman ranked below Bob Goodenow, executive director of the NHL Players' Association, on the magazine's power list. Mr. Goodenow came in at 39th.

In a sign of hockey's decreasing importance in the United States, both Mr. Bettman and Mr. Goodenow ranked behind the marketing directors at Gatorade (32) and Nextel Communications (26) as well as skateboarder Tony Hawk (37). Paul Tagliabue, commissioner of the National Football League, was rated the most powerful.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:16 AM   #23
Acrobat

Holy crap, Bettman is such an ass. There's not going to be any NHL for at least for 2 years.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:39 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:37 AM
i hate goodenow.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:03 PM   #25
Acrobat

Player hater.