Fire everywhere, even in the sky.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Latest numbers in San Diego County. Note that all of these are very aproximent as no one can really tell for sure until everything is put out.

CEDAR FIRE
Acreage: 115,000
Structures burned: 100 homes in Ramona, 150 in Scripps Ranch, 10 in Tierrasanta, many other structures
Deaths: 9
Injured: 2 firefighters, several civilians
Firefighters on scene: 800+
Aircraft: 2
Containment: None
Start: Oct. 25 between Julian and Ramona
Comments: Extends to Scripps Ranch, Poway, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, portions of Santee, Lakeside and Blossom Valley, Poway, Ramona, El Cajon, San Carlos and Alpine. Air traffic nationwide was disrupted when this fire forced evacuation of a Federal Aviation Administration control center at Miramar.

PARADISE FIRE
Acreage: 7,352
Structures burned: 57
Deaths: 2
Injured: Civilian and firefighters, numbers unknown
Firefighters: 500+
Start: Oct. 26 in Valley Center near Interstate 15.
Comments: Cause is under investigation.

MINE FIRE
Acreage: 15,000
Deaths: None
Structures burned: None
Firefighters: 300
Start: Sunday, Oct. 26 in South County
Comments: The fire prompted voluntary evacuations of parts of eastern Chula Vista and flames skipped over the border into eastern Tijuana. The cause is under investigation.

PENDLETON FIRE
Acreage: 4,740
Structures burned: None
Deaths: None
Injured: 6
Firefighters: 1,000
Containment: 55%
Start: Oct. 21 on Camp Pendleton
Comments: The fire had caused concern earlier this week, threatening homes in nearby De Luz, but no structural damage resulted. Authorities are downplaying early reports that fire was ignited by live ammunition exercises on the base. The cause is under investigation.

I live within the "Cedar Fire" territory

As to be expected, I really couldn't get all the shots I would have liked because freeways and roads were shut down all over.

satalitefires.jpg

That's how San Diego County looked like from a Satalite earlier today.

fire01.jpg

View of the horizon which pretty much looked like that all day. The smoke is bellowing out of the Scripps Ranch area.

fire02.jpg

Later on the sun took on an erie blood-red hue

fire04.jpg

Miramar Marine Corps Air Station. Looks like a war zone doesn't it? You can also see just how much dry brush is all around us.

fire05.jpg

Close up view of the flames at Miramar MCAS

Well, coming from Australia, we have this pretty much every summer. Last summer a fire around the city of Canberra took nearly 400 homes. In Sydney here we have very similar weather/conditions as California and a similar amount of bush/forest right in the heart of the suburbs and up and down the coast. These fires are getting alot of news here, and alot of sympathy, because we know what it's all about.

My family have nearly lost our house a few times. We've had 100 foot flames at our back fence before. The same fire took 1/3 of the houses in our street. It's scary, but it passes fairly quickly. Your own safety is the only really important thing.

The sun is incredible. So are the red moons, they freak me out.

Take care!

I know I haven't been sharing much about my experiences living in LA with the fires going on. But my LA vincinity got worse on Monday. I believe the news say that Simi fire is currently worst in Los Angeles County (not counting San Diego)... almost 100,000 acres so far... On Monday, the smoke and soot from Simi fire (already joined with the one from Magic Mtn.) has finally reached my parts of town.

The fire in my area haven't been this bad since 1993. (Exactly 10 years ago! :eek: )

Last edited:
I'm really close to the Simi fire. All the smoke has made me sick.

To all So. Cal members, hang in there-we're in this together!

This is by far the worst fire(s) I have experienced. Total insanity.

The smoke is much worse today...yesterday was pretty mild but right now its hazy and dark again.

Running Springs, Blue Jay, Lake Arrowhead, Forest Falls...it looks like an inferno in the mountains and there's no end in sight :|

Its so beautiful up there...I'm wondering about the the facilities the 6th graders here use for Science Camp every winter :(

hey ya'll. its been horrific here in san diego for a lot of people. luckily i was spared, but it was touch and go for a bit on sunday afternoon. one of the fires was about 5 miles away from me (i know, doesn't sound like much but if you could see how fast this thing was moving and jumping highways, well you'd be concerned too.) but we were not evacuated. anyway, the skies have been a mix of red and yellow and the sun, well the sun has been red. almost like mars. very creepy. send your prayers this way and hopefully my city won't burn to the goddamn ground.

I was worried about you, Sticky. :yikes: I'm glad you're ok for now. :hug:

A good friend's dad lives full time in Blue Jay. It's not looking good right now. He and his dog are out, but he only bought his cute little house this past summer.

Another friend lives in Lakeside in San Diego. I should screw up my courage and call him.

I was over in the Orange/Villa Park area... and in the hills... DAMN IT WAS GREY AND SMOKEY.

Really gross.

I can really empathize with you all, having been surrounded by fires during the Los Alamos fires a few years ago and having actually packed a getaway bag and left it by the door for 2 weeks in case I had to evacuate. It was really awful.

So I'm thinking about you all, especially all my many friends in and around San Diego.

Martha, your friend in Lakeside should be fine. Last I heard the fires didn't make it out to that part of town :) Thanks everyone for keeping us So-Cals in your thoughts. I, for one, seem to be in good shape. The fires have crept along past us. I was able to see blue skies and clouds today :hyper: I also got to drive on the badly hit Interstate 15 today. All I have to say is WOW. Everything was scorched right up to the horizon. my thoughts and prayers continue to go out to my San Diego and L.A. neighboors who were hit.

Thanks, Cleasai. I talked to him the other night, and he was fine. A little shook, but fine. Also, my good friend's dad's house in Blue Jay should be okay, too. Some news reporter said no structures burned in Blue Jay. Now, if my tattoo artist in Big Bear doesn't lose his home and shop, I'm happy.

The smoke from CA is now here covering the New Mexico skies and I can smell it. There are air quality warnings for people with asthma. Is that f'ng unbelievable or what? I found out that the fire near Temecula last weekend came within a mile of a friend's house.

i found out yesterday that my family friends lost their home in arrowhead. they saw their front porch on fire on tv. what a way to find out.

they're staying at my mom's house for now. im gonna go visit them in a bit. please say some prayers for them...thanks.

This is so terrible. I watch this on the news and it is almost hard to believe that it is real.

Stay safe everyone.

We seldom have fires in our area. Maybe it is due to all our lakes and wetlands. What causes these fires? People? Lightning?

All the fires were started by people. In fact, there have been arrests of people trying to start new fires while the others were blazing.

We live in a fallen world.

The San Diego Charges escaped San Diego and have been practicing in my town in Illinois (two hours south of Chicago - they play the Bears on Sunday).

my prayers go out to all the peeps that are affected by this....be safe:hug:
what's the latest? what's going on with the fires now?

The rain yesterday really helped. The Ventura County fire was all but put out because of the rain, and the mountain fire was considerably slowed by it. Big Bear should be alright.

I'm not sure what's going on in San Diego.

The latest figures I heard were 20 dead and over 3300 homes lost. I think the total burned acreage was an area the size of Rhode Island.

Back
Top Bottom