fiona apple extraordinary machine - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 09:31 AM
fiona apple extraordinary machine

i got the cd in the mail yesterday, along with the cd/dvd dual disc set.

apparently they will be releasing both.

the album is gorgeous. but i love her so much that it's hard for me to be objective. the sound of the title track has changed from the earlier version that was leaked. the change is mostly in her voice.

the dvd includes the video for not about love, and live performances of extraordinary machine, river stay away from my door, paper bag, fast as you can, you belong to me, and parting gift.

red, red, red is an easy, easy, early favorite for me. completely obvious that it would be. on waltz (better than fine), she doesn't even need to start singing. i would be happy just to listen to her continue to play piano.

it's all very much typically fiona.

so you know, for fiona fans...hooray!

Old 09-25-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

when you say they will be releasing both, were they packaged together? or will they have to be purchased separately?

and how would you compare the whole album to the leaked version?

while I like Jon Brion's work, it's nice to see her trying something different. because I think what he did on the "original" version is a bit too Brion-heavy, and not nearly as good as When the Pawn, which sounded more like a band effort.

Old 09-25-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:31 PM

Fuck the budget when this one comes out.
Old 09-25-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:31 AM
I can't wait to hear it

there aren't enough female singers on the radio anymore

yea...i miss the 90's
Old 09-25-2005, 04:02 PM   #5
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
when you say they will be releasing both, were they packaged together? or will they have to be purchased separately?

and how would you compare the whole album to the leaked version?

while I like Jon Brion's work, it's nice to see her trying something different. because I think what he did on the "original" version is a bit too Brion-heavy, and not nearly as good as When the Pawn, which sounded more like a band effort.
i have two copies. one is the cd only, and the other is the cd/dvd dual disc set. it looks like you'll have a choice as to which one you want to buy. i fully recommend the one with the dvd. i watched it this morning and nearly flipped from loving it so much. her live performances are incredible. she's shy onstage, but there isn't even a hint of it in her voice. the video for not about love shows her playful side, which is rare. the last performance on the dvd of parting gift made me cry. i'm not kidding.

i never listened to the entire album as a whole when it was leaked, i only managed to hear a few tracks. i honestly can't say that i like one version of the title track more than the other, i'm just happy that there are two.

i'm much more of an emotional listener as opposed to a technical one.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:40 PM   #6
Refugee

I normally don't dig most female singers out there now, but Fiona Apple is truly unique and talented - in a class by herself!
Old 09-25-2005, 05:24 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:31 AM
Re: fiona apple extraordinary machine

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

red, red, red is an easy, easy, early favorite for me.
Wow she wrote a song about me?! That's nice, she didn't have to do that.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:56 PM   #8
Neon Zebra

haha, yes.

and i swear i didn't rip off her lyric.

it's just a really, really bizarre coincidence.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:03 PM   #9
War Child

guess who's on the cover of the new Entertainment Weekly?

says it's an exclusive interview.....
Old 09-25-2005, 08:13 PM   #10
Neon Zebra

well, guess where YOU can find ME tomorrow...
Old 09-25-2005, 11:06 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Tonight, I heard the single that is on iTunes and it was played on the radio here. It was a great song and will be adding this album to my list.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:56 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

bg84, are you saying you haven't heard the whole leaked album? ever? did you decline out of respect for Fi, or because you didn't want to hear an unfinished product? If the differences are that large (and with a new producer, they certainly will be), I'd think you'd give that one a lot of playing time as well. Despite being a step down from When The Pawn, it's still a brilliant recording.

I'm surprised that such a big fan wouldn't be devouring that shit. To me, it's just more music from a great artist, whether it's the version she wants me to be listening to or not. Besides, the new Liz Phair will be a piece of crap so I'll need some additional female singer/songwriter salve to make me feel better and pretend I'm back in the 1990's.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:14 AM   #13
Neon Zebra

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
bg84, are you saying you haven't heard the whole leaked album? ever? did you decline out of respect for Fi, or because you didn't want to hear an unfinished product?
yep. never heard the entire leaked album, just a few tracks. someone did email it to me, but i just really never wanted to hear it like that. i wanted to hear the finished product. i did, however, listen to the title track about a million times.

it wasn't really a matter of me being a huge fan, or devouring anything, i just didn't want to hear the songs like that.

i have been trying to get my hands on this cd for months now, even if it was never going to be released. i've been asking the person i got it from to see if she could get it for me, but it wasn't until after the announcement that it would be that she could help me.

i'm also very glad that the album art has changed from what was floating around the internet a while ago.

i think you're from the los angeles area. maybe you'd be interested in this:

from her website:

Fiona will be doing an in-store performance and autograph signing at Tower Records in West Hollywood, CA (8801 Sunset Blvd / 310 657-7300) on October 6th at 7pm. Beginning Tuesday October 4th, purchase Extraordinary Machine and receive a wristband to this very special performance. Fiona will be signing copies of her new release after the performance. Space is limited.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:43 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

thanks for the tip. now that you have the "proper" version, will you go back and check out the leaked version to compare them? I mean, once the new stuff has staked its claim in your listening memory?

I didn't listen to the leaked version that much because I didn't want to become too attached to what may have been unfinished. But I guess we'll never know the whole true story about the material and why it was altered before release.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:15 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:31 PM
All I need is a tour.