Finding Neverland

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Anyone seen this yet? I'd have to say that this easily ties Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind as my favorite film of the year. I was such a weepy bastard at the end. I think this is a great role for Johnny Depp because, while JM Barrie was certainly a unique individual, idiosyncratic and playful, he was not as er, um, bothered as Depp's other real-life roles, say in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or Ed Wood. It's a subtle and nuanced performance, and reminded me that there is a lot more to the man than the hype surrounding him. Kate Winslet was a bit of a heartbreaker here, too, making that two really great performances from her this year. The story, for those unfamiliar, is that of playwright JM Barrie as he spends time with the family that, along with traumatic childhood memories, inspire Peter Pan. I am just in awe of this film. I normally don't go for such syruppy films, but this one is just brilliant.

I saw it weeks ago when it came out.

Ever since I saw Bambi, I've been emotionally scarred and usually people know better than to take me to a film like this. I bawled my eyes out! The children! The mother! The death! My God!

Johnny Depp was absolutely wonderful in the movie. He's always at the top of the list of my favourite actors and he really did a wonderful job here of portraying a guy who was just a kid inside, but it wasn't creepy. Given the set up, it had the potential to give off that Michael Jackson vibe, but not at all. It was such a wonderful and warm relationship between all the characters in the movie that you couldn't help but feel fuzzy inside.

Also, I'm no fan of Kate Winslet ordinarily, but she did a wonderful, understated job. The love story was all sublimation, and it was done so magnificently well. Imagine a heartbreaking tale of love that's never actually shown physically for the audience. Quite a pretty story.

I loved this movie too. :) I thought it was extremely well done--sweet without being syrupy. I think I sniffled from beginning to end. (The part with the orphans attending the play...oh man!)

Johnny Depp never ceases to amaze me. He just sucks you in and you forget that he's one of the biggest actors in Hollywood. (Did anyone notice his black eyeliner when he was playing the pirate...?)

The little boy who played Peter is going to be Charlie in the Chocolate Factory, as per Depp's request, which I think is so cool. The kid actors were just wonderful.

The highlight of the movie for me is Depp's objection to the use of the word "just".

:up:

I've seen it four times.

Yes, I'm crazy. But--I initially saw it because Johnny Depp is tasty. It's marketed as a kids movie, but it's totally not, it's very adult. Barrie's relationship with Sylvia & with the children is very touching. I cried at the end, all 4 times.

Run, don't walk, to see it. And someone shower Johnny Depp with awards for this performance, it's understated, nuanced, and quite beautiful.

The only thing that I think will stop this film from getting the awards it deserves is The Aviator.

Everything about this film is getting rave reviews, including many saying that it is both Scorsese and Dicaprio's finest hour

Excellent. I really want to see this, even though I'm drawn to hating Johnny Depp despite the fact that when I consider everything he's done, he really is an excellent actor. I think it's the same with brad Pitt. Another brilliant (at times) actor but someone I want to hate because they're so adored for their looks when really their acting outshines anything physical.

Back
Top Bottom