Financial Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
OK, I'm 19, going to be a college junior, and have LOTS o' debt thanks to student loans. I don't have any credit cards, just a checking account with a debit card and Paypal. I've paid all my rent bills and utility bills on time. I've got a question about my future "credit": One of my larger loans does charge interest and they send me a bill every month for the interest payment. But, they also say I'm not required to pay the interest. I've been paying it each month, but lately have been running a little short so I didn't make any interest payments all summer. Will this give me bad credit? I mean, they send a bill w/ a due date and everything, but I'm not required to pay or penalized. If I pay even though I don't have to, will I get some brownie points on my future credit history?

EDIT: I don't make payments on the principle of these loans yet b/c I'm still a full time student.

Last edited:
If your loan obligation does not require you to pay interest, it should not show up on your credit.

You might give your lender a call and see how they treat the accruing interest and payments prior to graduation.

OK. I'm going to try and pay what's accumulated in the past few months, but I just didn't want it to show up later that sometimes I wait 3-4 months to pay.

From what I hear, it's very easy, TOO easy for college kids to get loads of credit cards. When I went bankrupt last year the lawyer told me the number of people going bankrupt under 21 was staggering and upsetting. She said a lot of credit card companies give way too much credit to people with little or no means to pay. If you do get a card, try not to get one of those with 29% interest. They suck the life outa you:(

Last edited:
Unless someone gives me a good reason to, I have no intention of getting a credit card. Now that debit cards work in almost as many places, and there's still check or cash, I see no point. Why pay interest on loaned money when I can just hold off on the spending sprees until I get an actual paycheck? :shrug:

The student loans are different b/c even working 40+ hrs a week all summer and almost 30 hrs a week while being a full-time student, that barely covers the cost of rent, utilities, food, and books, let alone the $25,000 per year for tuition, plus the extra $3360 for the program in Africa. There's absolutely no way short of winning the lottery that I can afford school without the student loans (even after considering I'm a good student and get scholarships).

nbcrusader said:
Best thing you can do right now is not have a credit card. You are handling this admirably!

No problem, I've never been tempted by them. Someone giving you money in the form of a magnetic strip? Sorry, just sounds WAY too good to be true. I think I'd rather pay a deposit to establish credit.

I have no advice for you, but I want to say I admire you for taking all that on, LivLuv. I didn't go to college right out of high school (long explanation), and while I'm going part-time now, it's going to take me forever, because I'm trying not to go into debt, so I only take classes when I can afford to. I hope you get everything worked out. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom