FINALLY abc had some descent programming on tonite! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2007, 02:03 AM   #1
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 04:46 AM
FINALLY abc had some descent programming on tonite!

scripps national spelling bee winner 2007

Old 06-01-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:46 AM

My mom watched part of it last night, she called to tell me it was on because I did spelling bees when I was in school. Those competitions are intense, it's unbelievable.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 06-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:46 AM
The documentary Spellbound shows what these kids do to get ready for the national bee. Some of the stuff is pretty crazy.

It makes me proud to see that the national bee is starting to be televised. I feel like it sets a good example for kids, who might take a lot of their cues about what it means to be successful from TV. It's good that they can see more programming including people their age than just the Little League World Series and all those teenage melodramas.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Awww hell naw.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
The Fly

Local Time: 03:46 AM
What was the winning word?
Old 06-01-2007, 03:11 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by cstar
decent

ABEL lost
Old 06-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Old 06-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cstar

I think it was: Serrefine (but don't quote me on that).

Ok, I might get hollered at for this, BUT: the kid that won was a bit scary to me. I think he was a certifiable Genius, but damn he was weird. My friend and I were texting back and forth (rooting for the bracelet girl to win--she came in 3rd ) and saying how we were both a little scared of that matematical-concerto composing kid.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:44 PM   #9
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip

decent

ABEL lost

Old 06-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

That was awesome, but I had to keep turning it off because I got so nervous for the kids.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:13 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The thing with the bee is - OK, I'm a pretty smart guy, really I am. I used to do pretty good in the school bees, win or be one of the last 3-5 standing at least. Well, I could watch the Scripp's bee for an hour and not spell A SINGLE word right. I mean come on, I've never even heard of 99% of these words, and if somebody used one in a scrabble game I'd call BS for sure. And here are these kids, just ripping off word after word like it's cat or dog.

Basically, when I watch, I feel stupid But it is cool, and I'm glad it's on TV.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:04 AM   #12
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

When I did spelling bees, I won at district and regional every year in middle school, but I could never win at state (well, they counted the U.P. of Michigan as a separate state, so it was technically U.P. finals) and advance to the nationals. The best I got was 5th in my grade. Before each bee, we were given a long list of words. Our dictionary at home didn't even have many of the words. Dad and I would always have to take a trip out to the library to look up words. He would help me study every night, and I'd have the whole list down. Once they exhausted the list during competition though, they would just start with random words. How kids can get some of those insane words that weren't on the list, I have no clue. An incredible amount of work goes into preparing for a bee though. I guess, unless, you are just THAT smart. I consider myself a good speller, but I still studied really hard. It was also very heartbreaking to lose, you always ended up with kids crying (me included).

Old 06-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

did love_u2_adam ever participated in this?...

love you, kayla
Old 06-02-2007, 03:50 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's often the case that students who are better at math and science do better in the bee, because they're often better at rote memorization. It's not that they know all these words; it's that they've studied them for months. I think often what determines the winner is as much how well a kid can memorize the list as it is how well the kid can actually spell.

I placed second in my fifth grade spelling bee. Stupid "zucchini"
Old 06-02-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

I only remember two of the words I went out on. One was porcelain. I second-guessed myself and went with "porcelian". Ugh. To go out on such a simple word!!!! Adding insult to injury, when I went to touch up my nail polish a couple days later, I realized that the shade name was Porcelain Pink.

The other one I remember was cumbersome. Once again, seems like such a simple word, especially considering other words I had spelled! I started off fine...but I didn't put the "e" on the end. I remember everyone in the audience staring at me in disbelief after I stopped talking. As my parents put it, "We just kept waiting for you to say the 'e'!"

The worst year was the year that after you got eliminated, they made you just turn your nametag around (they were hanging around our necks) and remain onstage. Oh my gosh, that was TORTURE. We had to remain sitting in front of everybody after getting cut, trying not to cry. This one girl couldn't help it and was just sobbing throughout the rest of the competition. Why couldn't they just let us go join our family in the audience? ? That was brutal to have to stay up there. The next year, once you got eliminated, you had to go over to the judges, remove your nametag, and then leave the stage. I tried to stay composed and do it quickly, but my nametag got tangled in my hair as I was trying to remove it, and I ended up crying while still onstage. You could hear like all of these sympathetic noises from the audience, it was humiliating.

The bees were a lot of fun when I won...but not much when I lost. I always give those kids credit, it's tough stuff! Those nationals kids are amazing.