FINALLY abc had some descent programming on tonite! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2007, 10:00 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:07 AM
I was a really poor loser as a kid though. I'd sit there, listening to kids miss words that I could spell with no problems...and then it's my turn and here comes some word I've never heard before. So of course I'm pissed...picture the pizza guy in Big Daddy "not fair! he get all easy words!" hehe. I actually think I might hold the record for shortest word missed, 3 letters (alm). This was in 4th grade maybe? My ex, who's kind of a genius, missed "mediocre" once in elementary school and it bothers her to this day.

I do feel for the ones who miss. At this level I'm sure the pressure they put on themselves is pretty intense.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:07 AM
I missed a lot of the bee but watching the last few words I did know one - pappardelle. I was pretty chuffed that I knew it. A big part of the reason that these kids can spell these words that they're unfamiliar with is that they also study etymology, that's why they keep asking for the origin as well as the meaning of a word.

Of course, back when I had spelling bees, I didn't even know what etymology was, let alone spell it and I was/am a pretty good speller. I won my fifth grade class' spelling bee and came in second in the school-wide - nerves got the best of me and I misspelled a stupid word - traffic! I left a f off.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's amazing the amount of pressure these kids put on themselves, and the amount of pressure put on them by their families, schools, and communities. Most of them seem like they handle it very well. It must be a very maturing experience but incredibly stressful too.

I won my school's geography bee when I was in fifth grade, and the amount of attention I got kind of freaked me out. I was a pretty shy kid, and I'd won on what had completely been a lucky guess, but for a short time I was in the running to go to the national bee sponsored by National Geographic. The big scary qualifying test put an end to that pretty quickly, but I still got a lot more attention than I expected to over it.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:48 AM   #19
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse
It's often the case that students who are better at math and science do better in the bee, because they're often better at rote memorization. It's not that they know all these words; it's that they've studied them for months. I think often what determines the winner is as much how well a kid can memorize the list as it is how well the kid can actually spell.

I placed second in my fifth grade spelling bee. Stupid "zucchini"
Same here, I missed "olfactory," because the idiot teacher said "O-FACTORY"
Old 06-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:07 PM
I was the district spelling bee champ in 6th grade, and I got pretty close to winning the regional bee, but I lost out on "abominable." I thought it was "abomiDable."

Old 06-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

You should've protested. So many people say "abomidable" that it ought to be an alternate spelling.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #22
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse
It's amazing the amount of pressure these kids put on themselves, and the amount of pressure put on them by their families, schools, and communities. Most of them seem like they handle it very well. It must be a very maturing experience but incredibly stressful too.

I won my school's geography bee when I was in fifth grade, and the amount of attention I got kind of freaked me out.
My parents were always so nice about it. Whenever I'd be frustrated or feeling like I didn't want to study, Dad would always say, "You don't HAVE to do this. Only do this if you want to." I mean, I did want to, but there were times it was overwhelming. Dad would help me study every night...although, sometimes I'd spell a word he gave me, look at him to see if I was right, and discover he'd fallen asleep.

I was never a popular kid, but I remember one year having signs and banners plastered all over a hallway to cheer me on. It was nice, but it was just so odd to get that kind of attention...and it kind of made it more painful when I lost because I felt like I'd really let people down.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 06-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

CNN interview with the winner. Awkward much? God forgive me but that kid is obnoxious and annoying

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2862093
Old 06-11-2007, 03:49 AM   #24
45:33

Local Time: 06:07 PM
It's just good for these kids... a bit of respect and exposure when they wouldn't normally get it.

I went out the only time I tried with the word 'appropriate' But the worst part was I had to stay in the room the whole lunchtime and wait until it was finished