Finallly... Shea Stadium to get flushed out of Flushing - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2005, 07:18 AM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:42 AM
Finallly... She Stadium to get flushed out of Flushing

newsday.com
Quote:
The Olympics would be nice, sure. But blowing up Shea Stadium, now that is a gift from the gods.

Mayor Bloomberg spoke happily yesterday about the city's renewed chances for the Olympics, which are still only one in five, according to my rudimentary math. Actually, the real winners in Bloomberg's fast-made deal with the Wilpons are, in order: Mets fans, Mets players, the Wilpons, Mr. Met and anything orange and blue.

After years of planning and dreaming, the Mets' contract for the new stadium came together in about five days. Mets followers can really rejoice starting in 2009, when the new Mets stadium adjacent to the current dump will be ready, whether or not New York wins the Olympics.

This is the best thing to happen to the Mets since Bobby Bonilla left town. And what's more, the Mets look like heroes in the process. While the city and state will spend about $200 million in infrastructure costs, the Wilpons will finance the new ballpark, which will look nothing like the old one. Fred Wilpon's original design replicated Ebbets Field, and Mets COO Jeff Wilpon said they still hope to "keep most of the motif."

As long as you don't replicate Shea, knock yourself out.

Mayor Bloomberg, perhaps a little giddy and overtired after hopscotching between stadium talks, his daughter's wedding and the Puerto Rican Day parade, praised the Wilpons and George Steinbrenner as "model corporate citizens." (The Wilpons I get, but Steinbrenner did nothing more than offer to let the Mets use Yankee Stadium in 2012 if the Olympics come to New York, something Mets people don't seem anxious to do.)

"Everyone stepped to the plate nicely," Jeff Wilpon said.

This cooperative arrangement came together almost quicker than Jose Reyes flies from home to third after city folks approached the Mets following the breakdown of the Jets' ambitious, expensive West Side stadium plan. Mets people had been talking behind the scenes for months, but the city's need to recast its Olympics proposal changed everything.

If we get two great weeks in the summer of 2012, that's fine. The Olympics is more special and fun than some jaded New Yorkers are making it out to be. But the real prize here is obvious. Starting in 2009, the eyesore at the confluence of the Grand Central, the Whitestone and a million other roads will be no more. You don't have to be a baseball fan to appreciate that.

The Mets needed this new stadium more than they needed their new ace pitcher. Their interesting, improved ballclub doesn't deserve to reside in a decrepit, unimpressive, leaky facility. Even on a good day for the home team, it's slightly depressing that the greatest city in the world has the National League's worst ballpark.

At Shea, there's no elbow room for fans, and that's true whether you bought $60 field club seats or $16 cheapies. The luxury boxes aren't luxurious. The design is Sixties Ugly. And frankly, even on its best day, the whole place looks as if it could use a power washing.

The only real drawback to the new stadium plan in Willets Point is that it's in Willets Point, a point the Mayor addressed by mentioning how the city has plans to revitalize the area. What, he doesn't like chop shops?

It's impossible to predict what the International Olympic Committee will decide July 6. But the agreement announced yesterday looks like a good deal for the city, regardless of whether New York gets the Olympics or not. Someone with a better calculator can take a closer look at the numbers, but it appears the city and state will be kicking in only about $200 million, pocket change in the world of fancy new ballparks.

The Mets are paying most of their way here. "It's expensive," Fred Wilpon said, "but we think it's right for the Mets."

Not only is this the right deal for the Mets, it's an even better deal than the one that got Pedro Martinez here.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:47 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

SWEEEEEEET

Old 06-13-2005, 08:18 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

New York still won't get the Olympics. Those are going to Paris, although I'd prefer London.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
Blue Crack Distributor

while i'm pissed at jim dolan and cablevision for effectively killing off any chance at getting the olympics thanks to their douchebaggery over the proposed west side stadium... the fact that an agreement is, in fact, in place for a new stadium for the mets and an opening date has been set far outweighs the olympics for me.

would have liked to see them here, but i knew all along that as the west side stadium dies, so does our chance at the olympics.

only shame is that other US cities who were willing to go the extra mile for the games got passed over for new york, only to have our bid ruined by the greedy dick that is james dolan
Old 06-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

so as of now... new stadiums/arenas going up in the new york city area...

--newark arena for the devil's... opening fall 2007, construction already begun
--brooklyn arena for the nets... scheduled to open fall 2008, construction due to begin spring 2006
--new giants stadium in the meadowlands... opening fall 2009, construction due to begin spring '06
--new mets stadium in queens... opening spring 2009, construction date TBA
--new yankees stadium in the bronx... in the planning stages, opening & construction dates TBA
--new jets stadium in manhattan... on hold, lack of funding.

it appears now that the jets will either try to get private funding to go ahead with the west side stadium, or more likely, join the giants in the new meadowlands stadium... keeping both of new york's football teams in jersey.

no plans for a new madison square garden because a) they really don't need one, and b) the dolan's are a bunch of douche bags
Old 06-13-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

i actually like shea stadium

probably because im used to getting awesome tickets there via scalpers in the parking lot for barely over face value.

i do look forward to seeing a new arena instead of continental airlines, it's the least favorite arena i've been to. i haven't seen a sporting event there, but i've seen four U2 shows there and it probably was the least clean/most tight and packed in venue.

but, hurrah for new stadiums in new york
Old 06-13-2005, 12:21 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

i don't mind shea, really... it's a dump, but it's my dump. but if there is a stadium in new york that could use a replacement, it's shea... and now it's signed sealed and delivered that we are getting a new one... and it almost makes up for wright's error blowing the game sunday
Old 06-13-2005, 01:05 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

The Yankees could really use a new stadium too, immediately. It is a toilet. Dirt and crap everywhere. It may be the house that ruth built but it is just a mess.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:22 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

i'll agree that yankee stadium either needs major renovations or for the yankees to get another stadium altogether. on yankee stadium.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:41 PM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

the yankees could use a new stadium.. they don't need one. despite it's problems, they still sell out almost every game and have the highest revenue in baseball. a new stadium for them is a bonus. that said, an announcement on a new yankee stadium is expected within the month.

and on a side note... any team who builds it's own stadium doesn't have to pay luxary tax on team payroll while the stadium is being built... and consdering the fact that the yankees pretty much bankroll the revenue sharing in MLB... yea... say goodbye to that cash flow for a few years
Old 06-13-2005, 01:44 PM   #11
War Child

The Yankees should build a new stadium in their natural home, hell.

Has there been any discussion of a new arena for the Islanders (presuming they play hockey anytime soon)? Nassau Coliseum is getting pretty decrepit.

Also, is there any truth to the rumour that the new stadium for the Giants will result in their name being officially changed to the New Jersey Giants?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:48 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
and consdering the fact that the yankees pretty much bankroll the revenue sharing in MLB... yea... say goodbye to that cash flow for a few years
and that would be a bad thing?
Old 06-13-2005, 01:59 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by PopFly
Has there been any discussion of a new arena for the Islanders (presuming they play hockey anytime soon)? Nassau Coliseum is getting pretty decrepit.
yes... but it's stalled due to an argument over wether or not the planned skyscrapper, part of the deal, should be built or not. no news on wether or not the renovation deal will or will not go forward... this is what it's supposed to look like if the deal ever does go through... (involves an office, hotel and residential complex, along with a completely renovated coliseum... gutted, floor lowered, luxary boxes added, etc. etc... islanders would play at MSG while being renovated)

Quote:
Also, is there any truth to the rumour that the new stadium for the Giants will result in their name being officially changed to the New Jersey Giants?
you're the first person to even tell me that rumor... and no, there is no truth in that. if there was even a shred of proof to it, it would have been back page headlines here in new york... it's never even had an article.

you can see the manhattan skyline from giants stadium. giants stadium is actually closer to manhattan than shea stadium is. they are named new york after the city, not the state... and they're just 5 minutes outside of the city (without traffic... with traffic? 20 minutes to an hour... gotta love it).

giants stadium is a hell of a lot closer to new york city than many many many other stadiums/arenas for other teams to their respective cities.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:26 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:42 AM
I love the Ebbett's Field look to the drawings. Not sure why they need a roof (unless they close it everytime the planes are coming in from that direction).

My feelings on the NY sports teams that need a new venue:

Islanders - they are seriously playing in a minor league venue.
Jets - must suck when you have to play in a different NFL team's stadium.
Mets - It is the biggest dump in MLB (Metrodome is not too far behind).
Everyone else should just suck it up.

Yankee stadium is just fine. Yankee fans should just stop whinning. Giants stadium is still one of my favorite stadiums....no charm, just FOOTBALL. Brendon Byrne/Meadowlands/Continental Airlines could just use a good update and some improvements to the road system (who in there right mind is going to go into Newark for a hockey game - OR ANYTHING?). MSG is ok too, but they need to do some updating on the concourse.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:58 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Doesn't this all mean that all these stadiums are going to become shitholes all at the same time in the future, and all be looking for money for replacement at the same time?

Philadelphia's going to have the same problem.