Finallly... Shea Stadium to get flushed out of Flushing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
randhail said:
Point taken, but don't you think it is foolish for a New York team to be even considering a stadium with a roof?
Right cause we all know it never rains in NYC especially in April. They'd never ever have reason to close the roof.
And the stadium could be used for other events ( final 4, concerts, SuperBowl) or whatever all winter long without the roof in NYC's tropical climate.

What are you afraid of some rain coming down on you while watching the game? So what if a game gets rained out. Doubleheaders are great. I don't think the NFL would be jumping on the chance to have a Super Bowl in a baseball stadium. I'm surprised New York doesn't have a more tropical climate given all the hot air that comes out of New Yorkers mouths.

Perhaps you've mistaken me for a New Yorker, ask Headache how accurate that is.
At any rate, any city/team buiolding a stadium always has to consider the option of a roof these days...NYC is obviously not a warm weather climate 12 months a year, if either new stadium had a roof it would open up further revenue possibilities for the owners off season.
And while you think doubleheaders are great, I guarantee you the likes of George "Calzone" Steinbrenner and other owners would disagree and would prefer not to lose the revenue on about 50,000 tickets rather than a rainout being made up as a doubleheader.

randhail said:
What are you afraid of some rain coming down on you while watching the game? So what if a game gets rained out. Doubleheaders are great. I don't think the NFL would be jumping on the chance to have a Super Bowl in a baseball stadium. I'm surprised New York doesn't have a more tropical climate given all the hot air that comes out of New Yorkers mouths.

that hot air is out of our asses, not or mouths... and hewson is from the boston area, not new york. his hot ass air is due to eating too many beans.

the point of the non-existant roof is exactly what hewson said... to give the stadium year-round useability, so that events could take place inside the stadium from october through april, providing an extra source of revenue for both the teams and the city. the fact that neither stadium will have a roof now makes this argument silly, but what the hell...

and yea... why would the NFL want their premier event in the biggest media market in the nation, if not the world? that's just silly talk...

and it's not like football was ever played in yankee stadium before or anything... i mean who would believe that...

yankeegiants.jpg

and FYI... the NFL is in talks with the city about putting the super bowl in the new giants stadium, despite the fact that it'll probably be about 20 degrees with a good chance of snow at the time.

and finally...

randhail said:
Don't bother with New York, the city itself is horrendously awful. Way too many people, it's super filthy, and overrated - about as fun as a colonoscopy. But hey, since U2 is playing there, it can't be that bad for a day or two.

and here i thought we were the ones full of hot air...

That looks like a real recent photo at Yankee Stadium. Just a little bit before the modern Super Bowl era. FYI, I said the NFL wouldn't be playing there biggest game in a baseball stadium. I did not say it wouldn't be played in New York, but it's not like the NFL will be gaining all sorts of new exposure by playing the game there. Last time I checked, a few media outlets covered Super Bowl in Jacksonville and they could probably stick the game in Wyoming and it would still be the number 1 television event of the year.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
... they actually point to the fact that the vikings haven't been back to the super bowl since they moved inside as a reason not to have a roof

Not like those four super bowls before the dome had a good finish. Minneapolis has hosted two Final Fours though (and a Super Bowl).

As for the "rain in April" for the lone reason for a roof...tell me, outside of the small corner in the US called "southern California" that doesn't have rain in April? April showers bring may flowers (and Cub pitching injuries), right?

A domed (or retractable roof stadium) in NY would be the lamest thing EVER. EVER.

Islanders, Suffolk go for brokering
Static situation with Nassau has Charles Wang, the NHL team's owner, eyeing possible options to the east

BY CHAU LAM AND MARK HARRINGTON
STAFF WRITERS

January 27, 2006

Talks of moving the New York Islanders across the county line to Suffolk are heating up, with the parties agreeing in writing to explore the relocation, said two people involved with the negotiations.

A written commitment, called a memorandum of understanding, calls for "exploring plans, direction and an agreement" to locate the hockey team in Suffolk, said Bob Venero, a member of Suffolk County Executive Steve Levy's Economic Development Committee and a confidant of Islanders owner Charles Wang, who is brokering some discussions.

"We're beyond meetings at this point and into strategic planning and development," said Venero, who is also president of Future Tech Enterprise.

Sources familiar with the plans said Pilgrim State Psychiatric Center in Brentwood is among two sites being explored.

Wang couldn't be reached yesterday for comment and Levy would neither confirm nor deny that the county is signing any commitment with the Islanders.

"As this long process with Nassau continues, we would be foolish not to begin to explore alternatives. Suffolk County is a real and viable option for the Islanders and our fans across Long Island," said Chris Botta, Islanders vice president for communication.

Billionaire businessman Wang proposed renovating Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum and building a sports technology center, conference facility and other buildings on the surrounding 77 county-owned acres in central Nassau.

After pressure from Nassau legislators, the project, which Wang proposed developing primarily himself, was put out for a 45-day bidding process.

Sometime in the middle of 2005, Wang approached Suffolk to gauge the level of interest. Wang met with Levy several times in 2005, Levy said. The latest meeting took place days before Christmas.

"We're not poking our nose in Nassau's business. But if things fall apart there, we would consider it," Levy said yesterday.

The intensified discussions are the result of the Islanders' "frustration with Nassau County," Venero said.

Asked how serious the discussions were, Venero said. "Do I think it's a reality? Yes, it is. It's very close ... I believe the people of Suffolk County will do this faster."

In the meantime, Lisa Tyson, director for the Long Island Progressive Coalition, said that she'd prefer the team stay in Nassau.

Staff writer Deborah S. Morris contributed to this story.

headache hasn't been to a pro hockey game since he was a freshman in high school... but if they build this arena in suffolk, a 5 minute drive from my house, i shall go to a game or two.

and the concerts :drool:

newarena.jpg

:wink:

Last edited:
The Islanders play in what is the WORST arena in any major sports. It is even worse than the Metrodome!

...And I am glad headache has found a way to work "Wang" into this thread!:up:

zoney! said:
The Islanders play in what is the WORST arena in any major sports. It is even worse than the Metrodome!

...And I am glad headache has found a way to work "Wang" into this thread!:up:

wang.jpg

and you're right... it is terrible. the sightlines in the place are actually very good... there really aren't any bad seats, but the place is falling apart, the stairs are about half a foot in width making it very dangerous, the sound is terrible, nothing ever works right... it's a dump.

but worst of everything is that there's zero mass transit going to the arena. nothing, zip , nada. you either drive or you don't go. i think there's one local bus that stops outside the arena, serving both the arena and hofstra, but that's it. and if you're not from the immediate area that local bus is pretty much useless, and it stops running after 8pm anyway. i used to have a friend who lived across hempstead turnpike from the coliseum... a nice 30 second walk from the parking lot. but he moved, and i haven't been to an even there since then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom