Final Harry Potter Book Title. (enter if you want)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Final 'Harry Potter' title announced By HILLEL ITALIE, AP National Writer

NEW YORK - We now have a title for Harry Potter VII. But if you want to find out for yourself, visit J.K. Rowling's Web site and play a little game of hangman.

Rowling's U.S. publisher, Scholastic Inc., released a brief statement Thursday announcing the name of the world's most anticipated children's book, the finale to her phenomenally popular fantasy series.

No publication date or other details were offered. Rowling is still working on the book, she explained on her Web site in an entry posted early Thursday.

"I'm now writing scenes that have been planned, in some cases, for a dozen years or even more," she wrote. "I don't think anyone who has not been in a similar situation can possibly know how this feels: I am alternately elated and overwrought. I both want, and don't want, to finish this book (don't worry, I will.)"

Meanwhile, she set up a test for her Potter fans.

If you go to jkrowling.com, click on the eraser and you will be taken to a room — you'll see a window, a door and a mirror.

In the mirror, you'll see a hallway. Click on the farthest doorknob and look for the Christmas tree. They click on the center of the door next to the mirror and a wreath appears. Then click on the top of the mirror and you'll see a garland.

Look for a cobweb next to the door. Click on it, and it will disappear. Now, look at the chimes in the window. Click on the second chime to the right, and hold it down. The chime will turn into the key, which opens the door. Click on the wrapped gift behind the door, then click on it again and figure out the title yourself by playing a game of hangman.

Or you can just take Scholastic's word for it: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061221/ap_en_ce/books_potter_title

If Harry actually dies, I'll definitely read the book. I lost interest in the HP novels around "Order of the Phoenix"... Nowadays, I just look up the spoilers and that's pretty much it. LOL.

I'm fanatical about Harry Potter but it's a dormant thing. I'm trying to wait to wake it up until they at least announce when the damn thing is coming out.

But pretty cool title. Apparently a few years ago several permutations of Harry Potter and the Hogwarts Hallows etc were copyrighted... :nerd:

cool. I'm not obsessed but I love the book and am pretty much always reading one (like a page a night heh). it's a cool title. Harry's so gonna die...the whole Jesus thing you know?

well maybe anyway :wink:

I really do want to know when it comes out though. this girl that's obsessed (mugglenet tshirt wearing obsessed) told me it's not til next summer and she's obsessed enough that I believe her, but I hope she's wrong.

I dont think Harry will die. I dont think Dumbledore is dead. Nor do I think Snape is evil. I think so much will depend on Hogwarts re-opening, or even Harry, Hermione and Ron enrolling for their last year. The plot seemed to just get too important and busy for them to be at school to finalise everything left hanging at the end of book 6.

SpaceOddity said:
If Harry actually dies, I'll definitely read the book. I lost interest in the HP novels around "Order of the Phoenix"... Nowadays, I just look up the spoilers and that's pretty much it. LOL.

Same! :lol:

Harry dying seems too obvious to me :shrug:
I also agree that Snape isn't evil.

Whatever, I don't have a lot at stake in it the way most of my friends and family do. I have nothing against HP, its moderately interesting, I just don't get the mania. Ah well at least kids are reading (and excited about it).

Hmm, Emma Watson will be in full bloom for the final Potter movie - fuck the book :drool: :|

no thanks, i'll just read it

the new title is great.

Angela Harlem said:
I dont think Harry will die. I dont think Dumbledore is dead. Nor do I think Snape is evil.

good call.

but i do think dumbly's gone.

not so sure about sirius, though.

Last edited:
Personally, I think that the title is bloody awful. Clunky, awkward, with no zing or flow or catchiness to it, :down: But that's ok as long as the book itself is good.

I don't think that Harry will die in the final battle with Voldemort, but I think that JKR might still kill him off in the epilogue where he simply dies of old age or something along these lines.

Oh, and Dumbledore is definitely dead and JKR herself had confirmed it. She also said that he's not coming back a la Gandalf.

I'm 99% sure that Snape is not evil and had feelings for Harry's mother back in the days.

Angela Harlem said:
I dont think Harry will die. I dont think Dumbledore is dead. Nor do I think Snape is evil. I think so much will depend on Hogwarts re-opening, or even Harry, Hermione and Ron enrolling for their last year. The plot seemed to just get too important and busy for them to be at school to finalise everything left hanging at the end of book 6.

I think Harry and Voldemort will both die at the end, and that Snape is looking out for himself, working both sides as he sees fit.

I don't see Hogwarts being reopened after the headmaster got killed and Harry&friends have a mission to important to be in school.

Saracene said:
I'm 99% sure that Snape is not evil and had feelings for Harry's mother back in the days.

Interesting... Do they touch on that in "Half-Blood Prince"? I remember she stood up for him during the Snape's Worst Memory bit (in OOTP), but that's it.

VertigoGal said:
cool. I'm not obsessed but I love the book and am pretty much always reading one (like a page a night heh). it's a cool title. Harry's so gonna die...the whole Jesus thing you know?

The "whole Jesus thing" would be for Harry to die and come back.

Anyway, Harry's been near death fighting Voldemort how many times now?

VertigoGal said:

The "whole Jesus thing" would be for Harry to die and come back.

Anyway, Harry's been near death fighting Voldemort how many times now?

I think Dumbledore gave his life because Snape's one is more important to the cause

I believe in Snape!

anyway, that is a weird title, yet intriguing

SpaceOddity said:

Interesting... Do they touch on that in "Half-Blood Prince"? I remember she stood up for him during the Snape's Worst Memory bit (in OOTP), but that's it.

Well, my theory is based almost entirely on what Dumbledore tells Harry near the end of the last book - that Snape felt horrible remorse when he realised that Voldemort was going after Harry's parents. I think that the remorse only makes sense if it had something to do with Harry's mother, since Snape sure as heck wouldn't shed a single tear about Harry's father.

My theory is that Snape will die, somehow, to help Harry/Dumbledore. I cannot recall if there was ever a valid reason as to why Snape could never teach defence against the dark arts? I am betting he is unable, either by lack of skill in some way, or for a specific purpose. It's been rather handy having every teacher in that post come to a dramatic finish, but there's got to be more than a half baked reason why Snape is denied the spot. I've been re-reading them again, and if Gilderoy Lockhart, for example, was the teacher once, then there just has to be a reason Snape wasn't. I've always suspected Snape of being a key 'good guy' rather than the bad; thought each is as likely. His position as head teacher of Slytherin is interesting, as he never utilised it in any way. Either Dumbledore has/had a strong hold over him, or he is just not what would be most easily worked into the story.

I can't believe Dumbledore is dead. I dont want to accept that. I'll merrily continue on with my Snape obssession to distract from that; despite what JKR has said. What would she know!
:grumpy:

Angela Harlem said:

I don't think Harry will die either. In an interview with 2 british talk show hosts (I think they're like the Regis and whomever of Britain) last year JK said she'd changed the final chapter and one character had gotten a reprieve, while 2 more had died. I think it's possible Dumbledore was that character, and half of me wants to believe Dumbledore was too smart to be fooled by Snape and Snape isn't evil and even if Dumbledore is dead which i don't want to believe, it's for a good reason. But the other part of me is saying, honey you're in denial, whatch out for crocs.

Even if Hogwarts reopens Hermione and Ron will join Harry. I'd put money on it. (waits for someone to post link to betonharrypotter.com)

Saracene said:

Well, my theory is based almost entirely on what Dumbledore tells Harry near the end of the last book - that Snape felt horrible remorse when he realised that Voldemort was going after Harry's parents. I think that the remorse only makes sense if it had something to do with Harry's mother, since Snape sure as heck wouldn't shed a single tear about Harry's father.

I dunno. If Snape is actually a good guy, then no matter the grudge or even hatred between the two he would certainly feel remorse for the death of 3 people (at that point it looked like Harry would be dying too). If he's not a good guy then the remorse would just have been an act for Dumbledore. I wouldn't rule out feelings for Lily, but there's other reasons.

Angela - speculation on Snape not teaching DoD is that it would tempt him too much. This may be fan speculation or it may be Harry and friends speculating in one of the books, I forget.

U2girl said:

Snape is looking out for himself, working both sides as he sees fit.

Interesting. I've never been on a Potter board or anything, but I've never heard anyone suggest that. Everyone assumes Snape is either pro-Voldemort or anti-Voldemort, never that Snape looks out for Snape. Nice idea.

All I know is that I'm completely convinced that Draco will die, and that if he doesn't, I will construct an ending of my own where he does die and my theories will infact be correct.

And U2girl, YES - I've always thought this. I don't think Snape is loyal to either side. Just to himself. Even if you look back at him supposedly defecting to the OOtP after the Potters got Avada-d, you can still argue that it was entirely based on a need on his part to ease his conscious - not necessarily because it was 'the right thing to do', etc.

Last edited:
I had a dream last night that Jo changed the title of the book and it was far better. I forgot it once I woke up. Oh well.

It really is strange to think that this is it...the final book in the series. I basically grew up with Harry Potter. I can't remember when I got my first HP book - 1999 or 2000. Whenever it was, I fell madly in love with Hogwarts and everything related to the wizarding world. The first website I ever bookmarked was mugglenet. I even took part in a pointless online petition opposing the idea that Warner Bros. might get their grubby little fingers on my favourite books. So much for that. My passion for the series has subsided quite a lot, especially when it comes to theories. I gave up on theories after OotP was released. Even so, I'm looking forward to what J.K. Rowling has in store for us. :up:

Who's going to be a dork like me and go to a midnight book release when it finally comes out? :wink: I might even dress up as McGonagall. :uhoh:

*Guy drives by a book store at night before release of Harry Potter 6*

"SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!"

"you...you...son of a bitch!"

:lol:

Harry's gotta go out in a blaze of glory. I'm also hoping for some more snogging. :up:

:scream:

Oh God, that reminds me, LMP. I had OotP spoiled for me by some arsehole on the Internet. I'm not going online AT ALL during the week when the book comes out. I will not relive the dreadful "OMG Sirius dies" ordeal of 2003.

beau2ifulday said:
I don't think Snape is loyal to either side. Just to himself. Even if you look back at him supposedly defecting to the OOtP after the Potters got Avada-d, you can still argue that it was entirely based on a need on his part to ease his conscious - not necessarily because it was 'the right thing to do', etc.

Snape didn't defect to the OotP after the Potters were killed though. In the fourth book Dumbledore testified that Snape switched sides some time before Voldemort's fall and therefore before Harry's parents were killed. I'm also 99% sure that he was the unnamed spy mentioned by Fudge in the third book who tipped off Dumbledore about danger to Potters.

I'm convinced that Snape is on the right side, but I also think that he's anti-Voldemort for purely personal reasons which have little to do with 'the right thing to do'.

Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Oh God, that reminds me, LMP. I had OotP spoiled for me by some arsehole on the Internet. I'm not going online AT ALL during the week when the book comes out. I will not relive the dreadful "OMG Sirius dies" ordeal of 2003.

Same here, except for me it was the sixth book and some idiot on the IMDB movie boards posting under "SnapekillsDumbledore" handle, :mad: :mad:

Varitek said:

I don't think Harry will die either. In an interview with 2 british talk show hosts (I think they're like the Regis and whomever of Britain) last year JK said she'd changed the final chapter and one character had gotten a reprieve, while 2 more had died. I think it's possible Dumbledore was that character, and half of me wants to believe Dumbledore was too smart to be fooled by Snape and Snape isn't evil and even if Dumbledore is dead which i don't want to believe, it's for a good reason. But the other part of me is saying, honey you're in denial, whatch out for crocs.

Even if Hogwarts reopens Hermione and Ron will join Harry. I'd put money on it. (waits for someone to post link to betonharrypotter.com)

I need to state outright here that every prediction or guess I have ever made on Harry Potter has been blatantly and wildly wrong when the new book has subsequently come out :lol:

But...I keep coming back to one hard truth. She has always defended these books with this, and it is a strong theme through each, that it is essentially the good beating evil formula - the tried and true age old battle. Also, in a practical sense, each of the books up to this point have taken place over a year and have coincided with his years at school. It stands to reason that this needs to continue, but as we all know, given the ending of the last one, this is going to prove tricky to resume. With that said, though, where else can this battle take place? Will this book be set over a year? How can the school actually close? But how can the school actually re-open? Where, physically, will this next book take place? She has so far given very little detail to any wizarding environment beyond Hogwarts and Diagon Alley and the town. Then there are the key characters which need to continue on, and presumably assist in the coming book; Professor McGonagall, Hagrid, Mr Weasley, and so on. I'd bank on likely victims as being perhaps one significant on each side: say, Lucius Malfoy and Hagrid? Even Draco.

Back
Top Bottom