Final exam paper help! Encephalitis and acyclovir.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
Alright all you pharmacology pros out there, I need some more help. I've got the basics of treating encephalitis with acyclovir, but I need more details. Lots more. In plain language would be wonderful too! I need the indications, side effects, pharmacology, administration....ALL of that kind of thing, for acyclovir, which is used to treat encephalitis. My prof is a major drug nut (as in he's days away from his PharmD) and the more I butter him up the better! Lay it on me!

I actually do most of my research on breast cancer and leukemia, the mice experiments are just my in vivo system, nothing else.

Are you talking about encephalitis in general or AIDS-related encephalitis? I know they use it in the latter, because of some positive results they've seen in neuronal studies.

For side effects, the most obvious one is neurotoxicity from build up in the bloodstream. Neurotoxicity is dose dependent.

An interesting thing is that symptoms of acyclovir neurotoxicity and encephalitis are actually very similar, and I just saw a clinical paper where they outlined the indications of each.

Back
Top Bottom