Film Scores

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beau2ifulday

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
In the past year or so, i've begun to appreciate scores from films alot more than some soundtracks. I'm looking to extend this collection a little bit more - for those of you who own some, which are your favourites and which composers do you favour?
I love the score from Romeo + Juliet (Nellee Hooper, Craig Armstrong etc) and tend to like the projects which James Newton Howard and Yann Tiersen undertake. I like Danny Elfman, but only own the Edward Scissorhands soundtrack by him.

I absolutely adore Howard Shore's magnificent work for "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. I don't think I'd love the films as much without the music. His scores for Scorsese's "Aviator" and Tim Burton's "Ed Wood" are fantastic too IMO.

Other favourites:

- "Gladiator" by Hans Zimmer
- "Schindler's List" by John Williams
- "Twin Peaks" by Angelo Badalamenti

Saracene said:
I absolutely adore Howard Shore's magnificent work for "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

Howard Shore's work on Silence Of The Lambs is great too. :up:

Saracene said:
I absolutely adore Howard Shore's magnificent work for "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. I don't think I'd love the films as much without the music.

Those are incredible soundtracks, I love them. The mark of a good soundtrack for me is being able to spot the exact moment a piece of music is played--and the LOTR soundtracks excel. Not to mention they used real Elvish. :)

I wish they'd release a CD of the "extra" music from the extended editions, like the song the Elves sing when going to the Gray Havens.

My other favorites:

1. Doctor Zhivago (Lara's Theme is much more repetitive in the movie than on the actual score, something Maurice Jarre was annoyed about)

2. Braveheart (before James Horner sucked)

3. Gladiator

His name has slipped my mind, but the guy who scores all of Kenneth Branagh's Shakespeare films, his are always excellent. Henry V is probably my favorite of his.

Vangelis - anything he's ever done is amazing
Explosions in the Sky - 'Friday Night Lights'
Last of the Mohicans
Danny Elfman - 'Theme to Batman'
John Williams - most of what he does is gold

AvsGirl41 said:

... like the song the Elves sing when going to the Gray Havens.

That gives me shivers. :drool: The Lord Of The Rings was great as a movie (though I still wish Tom Bombadil could have been included!) but made even better by Howard Shore.

Hans Zimmer's score for Hannibal wasn't too bad either. A bit predictable and cliched in places, but I don't mind listening to it every now and then.

Ennio Morricone is arguably the most influential film composer of all time. The Edge is a huge fan of his work.

I am a huge fan of John Williams scores. :drool:

I saw him conduct the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and they played an entire concert of his songs. It was good stuff, and one of the only things that gets me down to Symphony Center (along with their Christmas program, and the one time they did Bugs Bunny cartoons with live accompaniment).

Gabriel Yared is I think the best composer currently working. Primarily his work for director Anthony Minghella. The English Patient with its blend of traditional epic film music and the Egyptian/African elements, The Talented Mr. Ripley and the point/counterpoint between classical and jazz styles, and the very understated work in Cold Mountain which accompanied the folk material (epecially the beautiful piano piece that is the signature music from the film).

I'd also like to second the mention of Ennio Morricone. His stuff for Sergio Leone is great, as well as some of the more recent scores (Bugsy, Lolita, Legend of 1900). While much of it sounds the same, it's always great.

One last mention for Michael Nyman, who made a name for himself with his score for The Piano. One of my favorites is his work on Neil Jordan's The End of the Affair. Extremely moving music.

laz

"Gladiator" by Hans Zimmer

If you like "Gladiator" listen to "Pirates of the Carribean" in places it is virtually identical. Composed by Klaus Badelt a protegee of Zimmer, the story is that Zimmer did most of the work, but couldn't take credit as he was attached to another film at the time.

Anyways, I love James Newton Howard, John Williams, Danny Elfman (Big Fish was amazing!), and Howard Shore. I know a bunch of people trying to get into that business, USC has a Film Scoring program, and it is crazy.

trojanchick99 said:

"Pirates of the Carribean"

Possibly my favorite movie soundtrack of all time :up:

Followed closely by The Hours

And I count Mozart's Requiem as a film score because of it's association with Amadeus... but it's really not a film score... but it's my absolute favorite classical work :)

beau2ifulday said:
In the past year or so, i've begun to appreciate scores from films alot more than some soundtracks. I'm looking to extend this collection a little bit more - for those of you who own some, which are your favourites and which composers do you favour?
I love the score from Romeo + Juliet (Nellee Hooper, Craig Armstrong etc) and tend to like the projects which James Newton Howard and Yann Tiersen undertake. I like Danny Elfman, but only own the Edward Scissorhands soundtrack by him.

you need to get the " music for a darkened theater" cd's, they are of all Danny Elfman scores.

Back
Top Bottom