file server question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diogenes

The Fly
I want to make one of my old computers into a fileserver I have all the hardware (NIC's and Router) but I need to know what software I need to run it.

------------------
" Can playing a Gibson guitar make you rich and famous? ... how do you define rich and famous? "

-Gibson, pure

Windows 2000 Server should be good enough methinks.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

Do you know of anyother software that is a little bit cheaper??

------------------
" Can playing a Gibson guitar make you rich and famous? ... how do you define rich and famous? "

-Gibson, pure

There are always Linux operating systems, many of which are freeware. Familiar with UNIX at all?

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

Not really, but I can probably read a few online manuals and get up to speed.

Thanks, I think I'll go with Linux (I knew about it but totaly forgot that I could use it)

------------------

-Gibson, pure

haha
smile.gif

------------------

-Gibson, pure

Back
Top Bottom