FIA Formula 1 World Championship thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canadiens1160 said:

Heyyyyyy, who is this guy that I got to slap hands with after the race?

10007738sa.jpg

That's so cool! :cool:

Michael Schumacher and Felipe Massa on the front row for Ferrari. Schumacher is miles quicker than everyone else. Fisichella is third.

Webber's 12 :(:(:(

Another glorious day at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Hopefully the large and enthusiastic crowd will convince officials to bring F1 back.

two big crashes in the first lap.. Heidfeld flipped over several times and Kimi got caught in the middle... Why is it that he's always at the wrong place at wrong time.. Or his car breaks down..

I wonder where he ends up next year :hmm:

Adam'sbaby said:
Kimi got caught in the middle...

It was his own team-mate! :grr:

I was sitting up in the last turn across from the garages. I was bummed when I did not see both Mercedes come around.

In the local Indy paper today, it sounded like they might be able to work something out and get the U.S. Grand Prix back in Indy. If it returns...I will be there next year!

I will post some of the photos I took from the race (and how they transport the cars and equipment) later!

It's official...I am an F1 fan now!

zoney! said:

It was his own team-mate! :grr:

I was sitting up in the last turn across from the garages. I was bummed when I did not see both Mercedes come around.

In the local Indy paper today, it sounded like they might be able to work something out and get the U.S. Grand Prix back in Indy. If it returns...I will be there next year!

I will post some of the photos I took from the race (and how they transport the cars and equipment) later!

It's official...I am an F1 fan now!

I'm glad to hear that you're a fan now. I will be looking forward to those pics. :)

Montoya in shock NASCAR switch
Monday, 10, July, 2006, 11:47

Juan Pablo Montoya will turn his back on Formula 1 at the end of this season and switch to America’s NASCAR series.

The McLaren driver will reunite with Chip Ganassi Racing, with whom he achieved spectacular success on his last stint racing in the USA, winning the 1999 Champ Car title and the 2000 Indianapolis 500.

The shock news was announced by Montoya and Ganassi in a press conference at the Chicagoland NASCAR event on Sunday morning.

Montoya’s future has been one of the key talking points of the feverish F1 ‘silly season’.

McLaren had not taken up its option to retain him for 2007 and after a disappointing 2006 campaign to date his place in the Woking team was in jeopardy – especially with a bevy of other candidates in the frame for the coveted seat alongside new arrival Fernando Alonso.

With Toyota expected to re-sign Jarno Trulli for another three years and Red Bull’s interest apparently on the wane, Montoya’s options to remain in F1 were looking limited.

Ganassi recently expressed an interest in renewing his association with Montoya but it was assumed any overtures would be in connection with his IRL IndyCar squad.

Instead the Colombian will take on a completely new challenge after signing what was described as a "multi-year" deal.

He will become the first big-name F1 regular to compete in NASCAR full-time in the 58-year history of the stock car category.

“I am so happy to be entering the fastest growing racing league in the world,” he said.

“I’ve thought about this for quite some time, but the opportunity had to be right.

“I’ve known and worked with Chip for a number of years and this situation could not be better for me.”

Ganassi revealed that negotiations began “just last week” and presented no complications.

“We’ve obviously enjoyed some previous success, and that made it a lot easier,” he told the Associated Press.

“We have some opportunities to do some things after that.

“We had a very quick negotiation – if you can even call it that.

“It’s nice to have somebody in your car who wants to be there, wants to be with your team, wants to be a part of it.

“He said, ‘I want to get back to racing’. The guy loves racing. And what better place than here?”

Montoya will drive the #42 Texaco/Havoline Dodge Charger in NASCAR’s premier Nextel Cup class as well as contesting a limited programme of events in the second-string Busch division.

I'll be watching more NASCAR for sure next year, especially since I think Juan will finally be able to run into other people without breaking his car so easily!

He's also out at McLaren for the rest of the year and is being replaced by Pedro de la Rosa, because he broke his contract announcing his intentions for next season.

Montoya.. He's gone. Out of Formula 1 and going back to the States.. But to go to NASCAR is probably his best option now. There wasn't much chance of him staying at McLaren next year or going to any other top team anyway. And I don't think he's the kind of driver who's willing to drive for a team that still has to become succesful one day in the future.. maybe..someday..ever

When he was brought into Formula 1 years ago people thought he'd be a winner, a worldchampion... It didn't happen. I think he was just too "hyped up" to begin with when he started at Williams. When he came in from American racing Frank Williams had waited some time to see him become mature enough for F1.(Montoya already had a contract with Williams like a year before he went to F1)

Oh well, life goes on. Maybe Juan Pablo will become extremely succesful in NASCAR. I've never watched a NASCAR race in my entire life so I don't know what it's like. It's like salooncar racing, right? Like DTM or BTCC but then on ovals, right?

Adam'sbaby said:

Oh well, life goes on. Maybe Juan Pablo will become extremely succesful in NASCAR. I've never watched a NASCAR race in my entire life so I don't know what it's like. It's like salooncar racing, right? Like DTM or BTCC but then on ovals, right?
Basically, yeah. Probably the most fiercely competitive race series in the world at the moment as far as you need to be extremely consistant to do well in the points..

Passions flare up a lot more than in F1 as well post-race due to on-track inncidents so I think JPM will do just fine there :wink:

Might motivate me to watch next year...

t446on.jpg

t051cc.jpg

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:

NASCAR Racing..
Is it me or is that track small compared to the number of cars on the track? I can see how that makes it a competitive series and I can imagine a lot of close racing and big crashes happening there. Yeah you're right, Juan will have lots of fun there :wink:

Adam'sbaby said:

NASCAR Racing..
Is it me or is that track small compared to the number of cars on the track? I can see how that makes it a competitive series and I can imagine a lot of close racing and big crashes happening there. Yeah you're right, Juan will have lots of fun there :wink:

The track pictured is but 1/2 mile in length yet it packs in 125,000 people. In Nascar, the ovals range from 1/2 mile to 2&1/2 miles. They also race at 2 roadcoarses including the world famous Watkins Glen where the U.S Grand Prix was held in the 60s and 70s.

the rockin edge said:
i just can't make myself watch people race in an oval 300 times. :crack:

And they are friggin slow TANKS compared to F1 or even IRL.

No thank you....good luck senor montoya, I will not watch that crap.

Race Results Grand Prix of France - Magny Cours

1 Michael Schumacher (GER)
3 Felipe Massa (ESP)
4 Ralf Schumacher (GER)
5 Kimi Räikkönen (FIN)
6 Giancarlo Fisichella (ITA)
7 Pedro De La Rosa (ESP)
8 Nick Heidfeld (GER)
9 David Coulthard (GBR)
10 Scott Speed (USA)

Nothing extremely interesting happened in this race. It was
boring :yawn:

But then again this race usually tends to be boring under dry conditions. Rain always brings excitement and action to this track. But there was no rain this weekend.... :(

zoney! said:

And they are friggin slow TANKS compared to F1 or even IRL.

No thank you....good luck senor montoya, I will not watch that crap.

actually they're faster in a straight line

NASCAR and F1 are nearly the same speed with peaks of about 215-130mph.
The peak is higher at NASCAR with 230mph whereas F1 not really is faster than about 220mph.

The fastest is the Indy car with a peak of about 237mph.

zoney! said:
:eyebrow:

NASCAR faster than F1?

In a straight line, yes.

However the acceleration isn't as good, and speeds around corners (yes, NASCAR does have some road circuits) aren't in the same ballpark

Code:
1.  RAIKKONEN       McLaren
2.  M.SCHUMACHER    Ferrari
3.  MASSA           Ferrari
4.  BUTTON          Honda
5.  FISICHELLA      Renault
6.  BARRICHELLO     Honda
7.  ALONSO          Renault
8.  R.SCHUMACHER    Toyota
9.  DE LA ROSA      McLaren
10. COULTHARD       Red Bull
11. WEBBER          Williams
12. KLIEN           Red Bull
13. VILLENEUVE      BMW
14. ROSBERG         Williams
15. HEIDFELD        BMW
16. LIUZZI          Toro Rosso
17. SATO            Super Aguri
18. MONTEIRO        Midland
19. YAMAMOTO        Super Aguri
20. SPEED           Toro Rosso
21. TRULLI          Toyota*
22. ALBERS          Midland*
* demoted 10 places due to engine change

Race Results:

1. M. Schumacher Ferrari
2. F. Massa Ferrari
3. K. Räikkönen McLaren
4. J. Button Honda
5. F. Alonso Renault
6. G. Fisichella Renault
7. J. Trulli Toyota
8. C. Klien Red Bull

Someone needs to get his act together if he still wants to win that championship... Michael is closing in on him and all he's been doing is talking about the lack of problems and how great everything is.. Fernando, come on! :huh:

Kimi did a nice job though. Even though he didn't win at least he was on the podium. :yes:

Race results Hungarian Grand Prix:

1. J. Button Honda
2. P. de la Rosa McLaren
3. N. Heidfeld
4. R. Barrichello
5. D. Coulthard
6. R. Schumacher
7. F. Massa
8. M. Schumacher

Wow, now that was an amazing race! :drool:

Jenson Button's first win, I thought he'd never get to win but now he has! And the top teams(Renault, Ferrari, McLaren with Kimi 's big crash) were in big trouble. I still can't believe Fernando and Michael both had their cars breaking down in the same race. The Ferrari's were really struggling in this race.

Alonso was leading when he broke down.. Michael was somewhere around 7th pos or something..

oh and I just read that Michael Schumacher got 1 point closer just because Kubica got disqualified...

Rain always makes F1 more fun! :yes:

I love when the guys that ussually dont win, win... that happens most on Monaco, but when happens, you know it was an entertaining race

Man what a race! I hope MS sends Renault's right rear tyre wheel bolt man some chocolates or something as a thank you.

Back
Top Bottom