FIA Formula 1 World Championship thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The most important moment of this weekend: The Italian Grand Prix..... Schumacher's anouncement.

Q: Michael, an amazing day, a great start alongside Nick Heidfeld, taking second place early on and an emotional scene there on the podium.

Michael SCHUMACHER: Yeah, it’s been a very special day and to finish it in this style as we have been doing today, looking at the championship as well, but much more at what’s going to happen somehow in future. There’s been a lot of discussion for a long time concerning my future and so on and I think all the fans, all the people interested in motor sport, they have a right to have explained to them what’s going to happen. I’m sorry it may have taken longer than some of you wanted but you have to savor a moment, and you have to find the right moment and we feel this is the right moment.

To make it short in a way, this is going to be my last Monza race that I’m going to do. At the end of this year, I’ve decided, together with the team, that I’m going to retire from racing. It has been an exceptional, really exceptional time, what motor sport has given to me in more than thirty years. I’ve really loved every single moment of the good and the bad times. Those ones make life so special.

In particular, I should thank my family, starting, obviously, with my Dad, my passed-away Mum and obviously my wife and my kids who, at all times, supported what I was doing, and without their support, without their strengths, to survive in this business and this sport, and to perform, I think would have been impossible, and obviously I can’t be thankful enough, obviously to my family but also to my mates from the Benetton time and obviously, specially in the Ferrari days when I have made so many friends. I have so many great guys in that team and it has been a really tough decision to decide to not work together at this level with all my friends, my engineers, everybody. They are just so great but one day, the day has to come and I felt that at one point that this is the moment as well as, in terms of timing the decision, I thought that it was fair to find that moment so that Felipe has a chance to decide his future, because I think he is a very great guy. He has been doing a very good job for the team, very supportive, a really great teammate, and there was a moment for him to decide for his future, and there was no point for me to take my decision any later than his decision had to be taken and this was the conclusion.
As well as in a way my future replacement, it’s a driver – at some stage the team will tell you – but I was always pleased and I knew a long time ago – to hear that he was the person, and now I would just like to concentrate on these last three wins and finish it in style, and hopefully with the championship, we have made a big step today for that and I really look forward, and I want to thank everybody who has been on my way, or supporting me at all stages. They have been a lot of people. Thank you very much.

- He's leaving! I can't say that I really wanted him to continue racing but it's gonna be very different next season. I'm definately not a fan.. But for as long as I've been a Formula 1 fan Michael was there. I was mad at him a lot - I even hated him at times (I'm sure we all know why, he was very controversial on the track at times.. to say the least) But he is THE Micheal Schumacher, the one to beat every year! And not many drivers managed to actually beat him..

Who's going to replace him? Can he be replaced at all? I don't think so.. I wonder if Ferrari will be as strong without him as a driver. If Kimi's going to Ferrari.. He's is good but not that complete. Maybe he will learn and become just as good (It's not just the driving but the whole politics of Formula 1- stuff that Michael was really good at.)

Kimi's definetly going to Ferrari - the question is whether Russ Braun will stay. I doubt it as he is obviously very close to Scheuey, as opposed to the corporate side of Ferrari. The media is speculating that Schu was basically given little choice as the management wanted him to retire.

I thought Todt was planning to leave Ferrari when Michael did. Brawn leaving Ferrari won't happen. I really can't see that happening. He's too important for the team. Ferrari needs him and Todt.

Todt, Brawn and Schumacher were like the holy trinity of Ferrari. Schumacher might be helping them run the team next year.

Well, I heard the media(Dutch media) saying that he would be taking an advising role in the team. But then again they can be wrong. We'll see.

One thing's for sure - this is going to be one hell of a championship race.... And btw, BRAVO for Kubica!

image1cw0.gif

image1sw6.gif

Last edited:
Alonso brands Schu ‘unsporting’
Tuesday, 12, September, 2006, 18:56
www.itv-f1.com

Fernando Alonso has branded title rival Michael Schumacher “the most unsportsmanlike driver in the history of Formula 1”.

In the wake of an emotionally charged and politically toxic weekend at Monza, which culminated in Schumacher announcing his retirement, Alonso launched a scathing attack on the seven-time champion on Spain’s Radio Marca.

Alonso said Schumacher’s reputation was more tarnished than that of footballing legend Zinedine Zidane, who bowed out of his final game with a red card for head-butting Italian defender Marco Materazzi during the World Cup final.

“Zidane retired after a glorious career, while Michael is the most unsportsmanlike driver in the history of Formula 1,” Alonso said.

“No one has had more sanctions than him.”

But Alonso drew a clear distinction between Schumacher’s ethics and his formidable talent and achievements.

“That doesn’t mean he hasn’t been the best driver, and fighting against him has been an honour and a pleasure,” he said.

“But the time has come to retire and you have to respect his decision.

“Things will be more equal between the drivers now.”

So Schumacher is going...sad to see a good, competitive driver go but I always hated him. He won about three (four tops) of his seven championships. The car, the pit crew and the FIA won the rest.

Webber finished a race!

The penultimate round of the 2006 championship is a farewell to the Suzuka circuit, at least for the foreseeable future. The Japanese Grand Prix will be held at Fuji in 2007 and while Suzuka hopes to return to the calendar perhaps in 2008, it remains to be seen if that will happen.
:sad:

Yeah I am tiring of Alonso's whining at the moment.
Next year I'm all Kimi, baby.

Ferrari and reliability - hasn't been a problem 'till Michael's engine exploded when they couldn't afford it to. It sucks for him. The end of his carreer ruined by an engine failure.

So Alonso will be champion unless Schumacher wins and Fernando doesn't make it to the finish..

Small chance, practically impossible even for Schumacher

JAPANESE GP - SUNDAY - RACE REPORT
A funny old world
Fernando Alonso, Japanese GP 2006© The Cahier Archive

grandprix.com

One day perhaps some worthy sociologist will write a dissertation to explain what happened in the Media Centre at Suzuka when Michael Schumacher's Ferrari blew its engine during the Japanese Grand Prix of 2006. There was a roar of approval. A loud roar. The F1 Media - the representatives of the fans (in theory at least) - did not want Michael to win this one. Why did they react as they reacted? Here was a great champion coming to the end of his era and the chroniclers of F1 history were cheering his demise.

Yes, Michael has always been a controversial soul but this seemed to be more than that. This was about natural justice - the phrase even came up in the press conference. It was about overturning the advantage that Michael had gained from the mass damper decision and the penalty against Fernando Alonso at Monza. Alonso talked about God. The non-believers talked about Fate. The ever-efficient Jean Todt talked about failure.

But what would a sociologist conclude?

Perhaps that the reaction in the Media Centre was a cry of freedom. A realization that there was some mystical powers greater than anyone in the sport. A great steward in the sky, if you like.

Who knows? Indeed, who cares? Perhaps in Brazil in two weeks from now the reverse will happen and Michael will leave the sport with an eighth World Championship. If that happens one can only hope that it does not involve any funny business.

Judging by the noises coming out of the Ferrari pit after the race, there is no appetite left for that sort of thing.

"We are nine points down in the Constructors' Championship," Schumacher said. "We will do all we can to win this in Brazil. As for the Drivers', it is lost. I don't want to head off for a race, hoping that my rival has to retire. That is not the way in which I want to win the title."

And this from the man who twice in the 1990s drove into his rivals to try to stop them winning World Championships.

To win the title is the tallest order possible in F1. Fernando is now 10 points ahead. There are a maximum of 10 points available to Michael in the Drivers' title. To win the championship Schumacher must win the race and Alonso must fail to score. It is possible but not very likely.

In Suzuka Ferrari took the blame for its failure.

I like that article. ^

" But what would a sociologist conclude?

Perhaps that the reaction in the Media Centre was a cry of freedom. A realization that there was some mystical powers greater than anyone in the sport. A great steward in the sky, if you like. "

Hallelujah! :lol:

Hmmm.

I somehow see Massa slamming Alonso at the beginning of the race and kicking him out. :evil:

And then Schumi will cruise to another championship. :drool:

The great steward giveth and the great steward taketh away.
Though I'm sure that next year the lack of Schumey won't change the
bias of the FIA (Ferrari International Assistance). :lol:

After 13 years A Brazilian wins in Home

That's What I call A sort of Homecoming

Whatta sort

That's up for ya Senna !

TSN just mentioned that they estimate 800 million people are watching this final race of Michael Schumacher's career.

Too bad the spread wasn't a bit tighter between Alonso and Schumacher.

Great career, definitely one of the best drivers ever, with a few sketchy moments during his career. But overrall, congrats Schumie!!

Hopefully, we won't see any headbutts during this race.:wink:

Punctured tire!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well, he is on a different pit strategy then everyone else now!!

What a great race!! Schumacher picked up 46 seconds after the puncture early in the race. Magnificent racing!!

Congrats to Alonso for back to back titles and Massa winning at home!!

RenauOWNED.

Still, great amazing career for Schumie, even if he did do a lot of dirty stuff.

Official: Brawn to leave Ferrari
Thursday, 26, October, 2006, 16:12
Courtesy iTV-F1

Ross Brawn will leave Ferrari before the end of this year, the Italian squad confirmed on Thursday.

In a long anticipated move, Brawn will stand down from his post of technical director and will make way for Mario Almondo.

Engine guru Paolo Martinello will also leave the team, moving to Ferrari’s parent company Fiat.

Meanwhile Stefano Domenicali will take over Jean Todt’s role as sporting director.

The Frenchman, who was appointed CEO of Ferrari on Wednesday, will serve as managing director of Ferrari’s sporting division for a transitional period.

Aldo Costa will head up the team’s chassis department and Giles Simon will lead the engine department. Both men will report to Almondo.

“Ferrari offers its most heartfelt thanks to Ross Brawn and Paolo Martinelli for their immense contribution in the drafting of an extraordinary chapter in the history of the Scuderia and motorsport, which has produced a tally of 11 world titles and of around ninety wins in Formula 1 grands prix,” Ferrari said in a statement.

“After years of hard and demanding work, Ross Brawn has decided to turn his attention to his personal life, while Paolo Martinelli will take on an important role within the Fiat Group: to them go best wishes for a satisfying future.”

Ok, Ferrari's future without Brawn and Schumacher... Gonna be tough.. Kinda weird to imagine that Schumacher won't be there at Ferrari. He's been there for ages, for as long as I've been watching F1.. Oh well, he's had a great career in F1.

And I think Alonso did great. Back to back title.. Way to go, Alonso!! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom