Fenway to host first ever rock concert... Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
i didn't know wether to post this in Just the Bang and the Clatter, or in Keep 'em Under Pressure, seeing as it's a significant music and sports story... so i put 'em in both.

It won't end the curse of the Bambino. But it's a decent alternative.

For the first time in its 91-year history, Fenway Park will play host to a major rock concert when Bruce Springsteen and his E Street Band perform on Sept. 6.

Springsteen announced his concert dates on Monday, and Fenway is one of four baseball parks that Springsteen will play during a series of concerts in August and September.

The other baseball venues are: Comiskey Park in Chicago (Aug. 13); Comerica Park in Detroit (Sept. 21); and Miller Park in Milwaukee (Sept. 27).

The Red Sox will not be too far away when Springsteen shows up in Boston. The club has a three-game series that weekend in New York at Yankee Stadium.

Sept. 6 will not be the first time Fenway has hosted a musical group. Rock group Smashmouth performed there during All-Star Week festivities in 1999. The park also hosted a Christian musical ceremony during the Catholic Church Jubilee in 2000.

Obviously, neither of those acts are on the same magnitude as Springsteen. But current Red Sox owners John Henry and Tom Werner are trying to extend Fenway's use beyond baseball and to the community. They sought the city's permission to use Fenway as a venue for Springsteen, and received the go-ahead on Monday after the Office of Consumer Affairs and Licensing gauged public interest.

Don't expect, however, to see Fenway hosting concerts every time the Red Sox are away. Some residents who live near the venerable stadium worry about the noise factor a rock concert would generate.

"I don't think Fenway Park would be an appropriate venue for a regular concert series. The noise would just be overwhelming,'' Bill Richardson, president of the Fenway Civic Association, told the Boston Globe prior to Monday's announcement. ''But if (Springsteen) did show up, I'd be sitting on my roof deck listening in. It would be something.''

Springsteen is not unfamiliar with baseball, having thrown a few pitches during his video, "Glory Days."

In addition, members of his tour group have formed a softball team called the E Street Kings.

Even his performances can draw baseball analogies. A review by the Detroit News on a Springsteen concert on HBO said, "Every single song slams home like a baseball bat to the chest."

Springsteen will also play at Kenan Stadium in Chapel Hill, N.C. (Sept. 14) and Ralph J. Wilson Stadium in Buffalo (Sept. 20).

The six concerts extends Springsteen's current tour that started on Aug. 7 and has sold more than three million tickets. Additional stadium dates will be announced in July.

I wonder if the grounds crew have their knickers all in a twist... the guy in charge is so anal about keeping the field in tip-top shape, and having a concert in center field must be driving him nuts, haha. But I think it's cool that Fenway's getting used for something other than baseball, just to spice things up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom