Fenway Park Superthread! - Page 47 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2008, 08:19 AM   #691
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:56 AM
I'm no expert on making friends, in fact I'm pretty terrible at it, so I'm not sure what advice I can give. Do you talk to other third-year people much? Sometimes it's good just to have a bit of small talk now and then. Don't be too picky with friends, take what you can get if you see an oppurtunity. Doesn't matter if they don't listen to the same bands as you, or if they laugh at every bad reference in Family Guy. Consider them 'friends' anyway. It makes you feel better once you start counting more people as friends.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #692
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:26 PM
throw.a.party.

it doesn't have to be a raucous shindig, you can just set something up to watch a game or something.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #693
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
You'll be fine, Ax. It's been hard for me making friends now that I live in Adelaide, though it's easier to keep in touch with some mates in the country, it's still sort of bumpy.
It's funny how cities are so full of people and yet feel so damn lonely sometimes.

Though by the sounds of the average Adelaidean, do you really want to be friends with them?

Quote:
I own a fedora, and I would wear it in public were it not for the fact that most people who were fedoras in public today are those that paint Warhammer miniatures, have a complete Disturbed collection and wear over-sized t-shirts with airbrushed Sioux Chiefs on them.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-08-2008, 08:28 AM   #694
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:26 PM
i think you should go to the debate or historical societies anyway. sure you don't know people now, but you will. i know it is an extremely brave thing to do. but you can at least try going to a meeting. no obligation. if you don't like it you don't have to return. if you do, then you'll start digging your heels in and you'll fit right in.

as for raccoon eyes, i don't know if that's the real turn for them, but that's what i call it. i've seen women wear sooooo much eyeliner, not because they're emo, but it really is a new trendy thing to do.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:28 AM   #695
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, they're emo.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #696
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Though by the sounds of the average Adelaidean, do you really want to be friends with them?
I certainly often prefer to be alone, of course - but it's always good to have somebody to fall back in if you want to go out or if you feel like a small piss-up at your place. I get the impression that you're not too hot on going to pubs and such, but it can be a good idea to just go to the nearest one after uni with someone, even if you don't know them too well. Just suggest it after a bit of talk, then you can get to know them over a drink or two. Other people can be shy, too. Take advantage of this!
Old 03-08-2008, 08:33 AM   #697
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
I'm no expert on making friends, in fact I'm pretty terrible at it, so I'm not sure what advice I can give. Do you talk to other third-year people much? Sometimes it's good just to have a bit of small talk now and then. Don't be too picky with friends, take what you can get if you see an oppurtunity. Doesn't matter if they don't listen to the same bands as you, or if they laugh at every bad reference in Family Guy. Consider them 'friends' anyway. It makes you feel better once you start counting more people as friends.
I'm hopeless at talking to other people in my classes. I'll talk all through the tute on whatever the topic is, but at the end I'll just vanish. I don't think I'm bad at small talk - just at being comfortable talking to people I don't really know. I've met some really cool people who I would've liked to know better, but ... I don't really know how to strike up a friendship. I'm the guy who before the tute sits around with his head in a book, or otherwise tries not to bother anyone.

Eh, I feel like I'm dragging down this thread ...

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #698
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I'm hopeless at talking to other people in my classes. I'll talk all through the tute on whatever the topic is, but at the end I'll just vanish. I don't think I'm bad at small talk - just at being comfortable talking to people I don't really know. I've met some really cool people who I would've liked to know better, but ... I don't really know how to strike up a friendship. I'm the guy who before the tute sits around with his head in a book, or otherwise tries not to bother anyone.

Eh, I feel like I'm dragging down this thread ...

I agree. Why are we talking about this when you obviously don't really want any friends.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:36 AM   #699
Blue Crack Addict

Alright, that's cool, we can bring it up some other time.

I'm working on a new anagram album.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:37 AM   #700
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by unico
i think you should go to the debate or historical societies anyway. sure you don't know people now, but you will. i know it is an extremely brave thing to do. but you can at least try going to a meeting. no obligation. if you don't like it you don't have to return. if you do, then you'll start digging your heels in and you'll fit right in.

as for raccoon eyes, i don't know if that's the real turn for them, but that's what i call it. i've seen women wear sooooo much eyeliner, not because they're emo, but it really is a new trendy thing to do.
I went to the debating society at the University of Queensland back in 2006. I've never felt so out of place. It was my scariest experience at university and I'm really, really reluctant to try in Melbourne. Kate was going to take me this year, but ... well, that's not happening now. I know, I should go anyway. But summoning up the courage is hard.

Ah, I see. There is no way that sort of thing looks good.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-08-2008, 08:38 AM   #701
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:26 PM
saddo i think dalton is trying to make a point about th contradiction here between saying you wish you had friends, but then saying that one doesn't really make efforts to make friends.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #702
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by unico
saddo i think dalton is trying to make a point about the obvious contradiction here between saying you wish you had friends, but then saying that one doesn't really make efforts to make friends.

Mia, you're just like me but with tact.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #703
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

I agree. Why are we talking about this when you obviously don't really want any friends.
I do!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #704
Blue Crack Addict

In my experience (both personally and observing others), people actually do get what they want in relationships. We might complain and say that we want something other than what we are getting, but if we slow down and look at it we find that we don't work towards getting what we claim we want.

If Ax wants friends, he'll push past his fears and do what it takes.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:43 AM   #705
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I do!

Then go make friends. You know what you need to do. That shit is not that hard, its just scary.

Tags
superthread