Female golfer, Sorenstam, to play on PGA Tour this weekend - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2003, 12:52 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:51 AM
Female golfer, Sorenstam, to play on PGA Tour this weekend

Annika Sorenstam will be the first female golfer in 58 years to play in a PGA event. This has caused a bit of a stir as some male golfers are quite opposed.

Vijay Singh has been the most vocal

''What is she going to prove by playing? It's ridiculous,'' said Singh, a two-time major champion who ranks No. 7 in the world. ''She's the best woman golfer in the world, and I want to emphasize 'woman.' We have our tour for men, and they have their tour. She's taking a spot from someone in the field.''

He also said if he was paired with her he would withdraw from the tournament. (But that is not possible because he will be paired with another PGA champ)

So what do you think, should she be allowed to play? And how do you think she will do? She will have a lot of pressure on her, which will make it that much harder.

I think she will not make the cut, and do rather poorly, I dont think a couple 78-80's would be out of the question. She recently played with Tiger Woods and John Smoltz, and even John Smoltz beat her, and he is a professional baseball player!

So, I am a bit skeptical, but it will be interesting to see nonetheless.

Old 05-13-2003, 04:21 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

I think it's great - I rarely watch golf, but I would definitely watch this.

Chill out Vijay

My view is, so what if she does "poorly" - she doesn't have to prove herself by doing this-isn't she the best female golfer, and isn't she sometimes referred to as the "female Tiger Woods" ?

I don't think men should be threatened by women in sports, and vice versa-it's all about doing your individual best, at least that's what it should be about.

Old 05-13-2003, 04:48 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:51 AM
If she can qualify to play, I guess it's okay with me. From what I understand she's not trying to make a point about women being able to play in the PGA, but rather she was getting bored and wanted the challenge. Let's see how she does...
Old 05-13-2003, 04:58 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Well that's the thing, she didn't really qualify, she got a sponsor's exemption. And it's true she is just challenging herself more than making a statement, but I guess she has pissed off a few male golfers who think she is taking the spot of some guy who could use the chance to make some money just because she is bored with the LPGA.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:29 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's a lot like Hayley Wickenheiser playing in Finland... she's done pretty well so far. I hope Sorenstam at least can compete, after all the courses are a lot different. But, I think that the Tour will find any excuse they can to get her out of any future events.
Old 05-13-2003, 05:33 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

She did pick a course that was shorter and more suited for her game, so who knows. I don't know about the Tour not wanting her. It is creating a buzz, which will mean big ratings, which will mean more money. And it's all about the money so I think they are happy to have her, as long as it brings in the dough. The players on the other hand...
Old 05-13-2003, 06:31 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:30 PM   #8
New Yorker

Its actually next week, and Singh has said he was misquoted...funny how a guy exposed to racism early in his tour career might get a bit sexist in his remarks.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:44 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
poor vijay for being misquoted.
Old 05-14-2003, 10:33 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Yes, he now says he was "misquoted", but the article I read said that the reporter's notes supported the original quotes.

Yes, it is rather ironic that someone who has been subjected to racism would be sexist, or appear to be so. Maybe this applies to Tiger as well

Maybe it's more of an ego issue than a sexism issue, but I think it's both
Old 05-14-2003, 03:56 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

i don't believe vijay singh's comments are sexist at all... i think they're truth. sorenstam should not be playing in a men's tournament. they have the lpga for a reason. if you want to combine both of them into one big co-ed league? fine... but this is taking a spot, and money, away from a man. so if it's ok for anika sorenstam to play in the men's league, would it be ok if tiger woods switched over and played in an lpga event? of course not. if sorenstam wants to play in a non-pga sanctioned event with and against men? more power to her... i'd encourage her to do so. but women have the lpga... they have their own majors... it is not fair for a woman to come in and take a spot from a man, when if a man tried to do the same in the lpga he would get shot down and rediculed for being "sexist." and just to back up that last point... after sorenstam said she would play in this tourney, a journeyman golfer on the pga tour DID try to sign up for an lpga event... and was denied.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:36 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i don't believe vijay singh's comments are sexist at all... i think they're truth. sorenstam should not be playing in a men's tournament. they have the lpga for a reason. if you want to combine both of them into one big co-ed league? fine... but this is taking a spot, and money, away from a man. so if it's ok for anika sorenstam to play in the men's league, would it be ok if tiger woods switched over and played in an lpga event? of course not. if sorenstam wants to play in a non-pga sanctioned event with and against men? more power to her... i'd encourage her to do so. but women have the lpga... they have their own majors... it is not fair for a woman to come in and take a spot from a man, when if a man tried to do the same in the lpga he would get shot down and rediculed for being "sexist." and just to back up that last point... after sorenstam said she would play in this tourney, a journeyman golfer on the pga tour DID try to sign up for an lpga event... and was denied.
i agree
Old 05-14-2003, 04:41 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

well, the pga is the professional golfers tour, and i think they should take the best players, male, female, transexual or whatever. its not the mpga. but, i think that if annika wanted to play she should have qualified like any other male that tries to make it on the tour, not some sponsors exemption.
Old 05-14-2003, 04:46 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Well there's a double standard there too... some Senior players are now getting special invitations to the Master's because the tournament has revoked it's policy of life-time exemption. I'm not comparing Annika's status to Jack Nicklaus or Arnold Palmer, but she's made her mark on the golfing world by winning consistently and proving herself as an elite player. And, seeing as this event is not a premier tournament, such as a grand slam, the guys should lay off and let her play. As for the comment about her "taking" the place of a man in the field... what's the difference? If that one guy qualified, what are the chances he would even make the cut... nevermind win. Like Chizip says, this is a ratings boost for the sport which ultimately benefits all the players to more exposure. sheesh.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:23 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

make the cut... unlikely... still get a pay check? deffinetly... these journeymen golfers at the bottom of the pack... they really do need the pay checks... it's how they make their living. if tiger skips a tourney here and there, it's really not making a dent in his pocket. if some schmo at the bottom misses a paycheck, it's a big deal for him.