Female golfer, Sorenstam, to play on PGA Tour this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tournament starts thursday, so it's make your prediction time!

I predict a 76 and 77 for a 153 which means Annika will miss the cut.

Now you go.

its quite simple really

humans should compete against each other.

brettig [quoting someone else] said it best, the 'she is taking a male's spot' is a crock. there is obviously no explicit rule which does not allow her to compete. so, why not?

the real sparks will fly if the 'unthinkable' happens and she places in the top 10 or thereabouts. what if she wins an exemption to a future tourney? what if she gets into the masters?
i don't know what exemptions the colonial has available but one never knows...

the thing is, playing with a sponsors exemption wont really prove anything, either good or bad. it is just 1 tournament, and anything can really happen. if she really wanted to test herself she would try to qualify like everyone else that wants to play on the tour, than she would really know if she is good enough.

so men who have won tournaments they gained access to via sponsors exemptions shouldn't enjoy thier victory as much as others?
exemptions are there for a reason-to allow someone who didn't gain access to the tourney through conventional means the chance to enter and compete. if your beef is with exemptions than i can see where you are coming from, but they are fairly established and always provide the potential for excitement.

tomorrow is the first day of play, they make the cut after the second day, so to answer your question, Friday.

ted connors asks

"should women be allowed to play any sports, even in their own league?"

sometimes i wonder about you ted...

not to get too excited but these are good for anyones 1st round on the pga

Hole 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 OUT 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 IN TOT
Par 5 4 4 3 4 4 4 3 4 35 4 5 4 3 4 4 3 4 4 35 70
Rnd 1 5 4 4 3 - - - - - - 4 5 4 2 4 4 3 4 4 34 -
Stat -1-1-1-1 - - - - - E E E -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

she has played very very well, and looks like she is having a great time out there, it's amazing she hasnt let the pressure get to her at all

she is just playing a very smart simple game, not trying to be macho, like the guys tend to be, which gets them in trouble

very impressive so far

she ended with a +1 71, not too shabby.

hey putting is what killed her, maybe he should get some tips from vijay :wink:

they said it was the easiest conditions the course could be, so there will be some low scores. she will likely need to do better than that tomorrow to make the cut.

we will see.

oh and when i said 76 and 77, i thought it was a par 72 course, so for a par 70 my predictions would have been 74 and 75. so i was a little high the first day, we will see tomorrow.

Last edited:
Excellent round, but its ironic that she putted badly - yes her strength is her tee to green game but she's also been pretty good at closing the deal on the greens, and it looks like she missed a few short putts out there today. The way the scores look though she'll probably have to better her score if she wants to make the cut.

Nothing wrong with how she putted. The only 3 putt she had was from 60 feet plus at the 5th. What happened to her at the last hole would have happened to anybody. She was a bit tentative with her birdie chances, which is understandable. She didn't want long par putts from being too aggressive. That could have taken her out of contention right away. I expect her to be a lot more bolder today.

Well I didn't see the whole round, just news reports, and from that she missed some chances. She couldn't have played too much better off the tee, but it'll be interesting to see if she can get some iron shots a little closer to the pin today. Any chance of wind in the afternoon?

well a 4 over 74 on the second day to end +5, 4 strokes over the cut. Her putting once again killed her.

So, was this a success or not?

Was respectable if not stellar i think we can say. I was impressed that she didn't let anything worse than a bogie sneak into her card, that suggests how well she carried herself.

Her putting was a two edged sword today. She 3 putted twice, but she also made a bunch of 5-10 footers that kept her from shooting 80. Her tee ball on the 5th seemed to throw her entire game for the next 8 holes.

Success? maybe. I don't think she played nearly as well as she can, but given the circumstances she did very well.

Well, she did say after the first day it was the best round she ever played. And she did prepare for this tournament more than any tournament before. She picked a course that was best suited for her game, and the course ended up having optimal playing conditions, and was playing against a depleted field that was missing 13 of the top 25 players. So it was all set up perfectly for her, yet she still missed the cut by a good margin. I think this shows that there really is a big difference in quality of play between the PGA and LPGA. Maybe Vijay was right when he said she didn't belong out there.

Originally posted by Chizip
Well, she did say after the first day it was the best round she ever played.

Me thinks she was caught up in the moment here. She did shoot 59 once.

So it was all set up perfectly for her, yet she still missed the cut by a good margin.

true, but she also had a lot of weight on her shoulders. This was her only chance, while the guys in the field saw it as just another week on the tour. She was playing the same course as the fellas, but not under the same circumstances. To her, this was bigger than any major championship on the LPGA.

I think this shows that there really is a big difference in quality of play between the PGA and LPGA.
She beat Craig Perks, Mark Brooks, and Bob Estes. She finished within two shots of Scott Simpson, Sergio Garcia, and Stuart Appleby.

With driving distance and the ability to spin the ball w/ longer irons the men are decidedly superior.

Two rounds do not prove a thing-- but that wasn't the point to her playing anyway.........

Maybe Vijay was right when he said she didn't belong out there.

Interesting how someone can look so smart from a distance. I have no respect for the man. He's the only one who lost face this week, IMO.

Last edited:
Clark W. Griswold said:

Interesting how someone can look so smart from a distance. I have no respect for the man. He's the only one who lost face this week, IMO.

Definitely

I am certainly no golf expert, but I think it's so unfair to say that because she didn't play well enough to make the cut that she "didn't belong there". She worked hard to prepare for this, and she's just human. She dealt w/ the mental pressure, especially the ridiculous media attention.

She rocks :up: :bow:

She did this for herself, for no one else ( I believe her when she says this), and for that I say- good for her.

Well said, you two. :up:

There's always next year...

I don't know why sexism in sports manages to still surprise me, but it does. :|

Last edited:
For the record I don't believe everything I said, I was just trying to spark a conversation. But, I think it's a little ridiculous to call anyone who doesnt think this was a 100% successful experiment a sexist. I'm glad she played, I think she had a right to be out there, and I was pulling for her. She handled everything great and with a lot of class, so it would be hard not to pull for her, and it was great for the game of golf.

But, she is the greatest female player on the planet, and under optimal conditions she ended up in 96th place. Now I agree that you can't really judge on one tournament, but you would think this would be the tournament she would do best in if she played 5 or 6. Because it was the shortest course, she had taken time off to prepare for it like a major, most of the top players weren't playing, and there were optimal weather conditions, so one would think this would be the one with the lowest score. But I'm getting off point. The whole point is the media is making it like this was such a huge success and Annika did great, but if you want to call coming in 96th place a huge success, well then I guess you have lower standards than me, and i'm sure Annika as well. If that makes me a sexist, so be it.

Back
Top Bottom