Favre is returning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
It's just been reported here in Green Bay that Brett Favre is returning to the Packers next year. Nothing on the national news yet, but all the news stations here are reporting it.

I just called my dad to make sure he heard, and when he answered, the first thing he said was, "Did you hear the news?" I said, "Brett Favre?" He said, "Yeah!" :lol: Good to see we're thinking alike. :wink:

:yawn: This is a joke now. A)he's not a factor anymore and risks making a fool of himself by sucking, B)He's on the verge of becoming one of those people who become a joke for constantly threatening to retire, then backing out, or even worse, really retiring and coming back, retiring and coming back (like Sugar Ray Leonard) It will reach the point where everyone will go 'who cares anymore.'

U2Kitten said:
:yawn: This is a joke now. A)he's not a factor anymore and risks making a fool of himself by sucking, B)He's on the verge of becoming one of those people who become a joke for constantly threatening to retire, then backing out, or even worse, really retiring and coming back, retiring and coming back (like Sugar Ray Leonard) It will reach the point where everyone will go 'who cares anymore.'

I think by now Michael Jordan is probably the most well-known example of an athlete actually retiring, coming back, retiring, coming back, and retiring again.

not for nothing... i work with a ton of people from the midwest. for the most part they're all cardinal fans and packer fans. die hards, too. when the news first came over the internet about favre it was right around noon... i printed out the article and brought it down to the cafeteria and gave it to the 4 die hard packer fan teachers. each and every one of them was thrilled.

so packer fans, for the most part, want him back. favre wants to be back. what is the issue? i hope he plays as long as he possibly can. he's not like sugar ray leonard or michael jordan. he's never retired... never... not once. all he's said is that he's thought about it. and who hasn't?

if he can play till he's 50 and still be respectable, why the hell not. who am i to say when someone else should give up doing something they love?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i work with a ton of people from the midwest. for the most part they're all cardinal fans and packer fans. die hards, too.

So the Cardinal fans haven't taken up with the Rams instead? They don't hate the Cardinals for moving to Arizona? Just asking, in comparision to the way some Baltimore fans react.

he's not like sugar ray leonard or michael jordan.

He's headed that way.

he's never retired... never... not once. all he's said is that he's thought about it. and who hasn't?

But most people, in football or not, don't go around making a big story out of it in the media about how they MIGHT. I saw his tearful speech after the last game of the season. Why even make an issue of it in public, unless you want the attention, or want to feel really cool when people beg you to come back, then more attention when you decide to stay? All I'm saying is, retire, or don't, but don't make a hugeass deal out of the possibility like he has the last two years. That does make him almost as bad as those guys who retired and came back.

And when he does finally retire, I bet he does that too.

The key is that they were close to the playoffs this year. If the team around him gets better, he can be successful in the weak NFC.

U2Kitten said:

So the Cardinal fans haven't taken up with the Rams instead? They don't hate the Cardinals for moving to Arizona? Just asking, in comparision to the way some Baltimore fans react.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
for the most part they're all cardinal fans and packer fans.

pujols.jpg
brett-favre.jpg

But most people, in football or not, don't go around making a big story out of it in the media about how they MIGHT. I saw his tearful speech after the last game of the season. Why even make an issue of it in public, unless you want the attention, or want to feel really cool when people beg you to come back, then more attention when you decide to stay? All I'm saying is, retire, or don't, but don't make a hugeass deal out of the possibility like he has the last two years. That does make him almost as bad as those guys who retired and came back.

who's making a big deal out of it, brett favre or the media?

last year he strung it out, and he was wrong to do so. the playoffs aren't even over yet and he's already said he's coming back, in a simple statement to his local hometown paper, not a huge press conference on espn.

Last edited:
That's right it is more the media than him. Ironically last year when he first mentioned retirement, he had said the main reason was the way the media treated him after the tragic deaths of his father and his wife's brother. He wanted to retire to have more privacy.

And I know there are baseball Cardinals too but since we were talking about football I thought you meant them. I wonder if the poor NFL Cardinals have any real devoted fans, anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom