Favourite Xmas songs and albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

annalivia

The Fly
Maybe you're yawning now, maybe someone else already posted it but Xmas will hit us anyway!

Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - John & Yoko

Do They Know It's Christmas Time - Band Aid

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - U 2

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - The Pretenders

I Believe In Father Christmas - Greg Lake

In Dulci Jubilo - Mike Oldfield

Album: Merry Axemas (A Guitar Christmas) with instrumentals by Jeff Beck, Brian Setzer, Steve Morse, Richie Sambora and many more.

wmann.gif

anna

There's this handbell christmas CD that I simply can't live without during the holidays. It's such beautiful music.

As far as favorite song...well, I think that hands down it's a tie between Holly Jolly Christmas (Burl Ives version) and any version of the First Noel (my middle name's Noelle cause I was born on Christmas Eve and my parents always told me they wrote the song for me!)

hippy

------------------
One love, one life...
Give peace a chance!
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Bono: I don't walk, I swagger! I sashayed once, but just once. It wasn't for me.

Okay, my latest purchase:

"Mambo Santa Mambo: Christmas From the Latin Lounge" (Rhino)

Yes, a compilation. All of the tracks were cut between 1950 - 1960, except for one that was cut in 1999 (the song from '99 is the only one that sucks ass - it's Lou Bega's reworking of his Mambo #5).

The title of this compilation is a bit deceptive. Some of the tracks are not Latin sounding at all, but they're all great.

Best track: "Donde Esta Santa Claus?" with the kid Augie Rios singing.

Get it!

My favorite Christmas song has to be "Little Drummer Boy."

------------------
~ME THREE

Don't get sentimental
It always ends up drivel

Jimmy Buffet's "Christmas Island" album is great. Christmas music with a beach feel- perfect for California! Especially- "Ho ho ho and a bottle of rum"

Avoid Christmas in the Stars (the Star Wars Christmas album) at all costs. (Yes, I do own a copy.) (Shut up.) It features great songs such as The odds against Christmas being Christmas (Are 365 to 1), What Can You Get a Wookiee for Christmas (When He Already Owns a Comb)?, and R2-D2, We Wish You a Merry Christmas. I listened to it once. One interesting thing about it, though, is that Christmas in the Stars was the very first album that Jon Bon Jovi ever appeared on.

[This message has been edited by Not George Lucas (edited 12-13-2001).]

Originally posted by annalivia:
Album: Merry Axemas (A Guitar Christmas) with instrumentals by Jeff Beck, Brian Setzer, Steve Morse, Richie Sambora and many more.
ooooh, I own that album
it's great !!!!!

almost as good as the John Denver and The Muppets Christmas album
biggrin.gif

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

When it comes to Christmas music, I am very attached to traditional fare. My favorite CD has to be A Charlie Brown Christmas (The Vince Guaraldi Trio) followed closely by Christmas albums by Nat King Cole and Bing Crosby. Frank Sinatra is in there too. And in our family, it wouldn't quite be Christmas without our battered and worn tape (yes one of those) of the Lennon Sisters Christmas. lol. If anyone other than myself has ever heard it, I'd be shocked.

biggrin.gif

-sula

"I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" Wow-there's nothing I could add to it. It's such a classic song! Another one is not specific to Christmas, but it's good, "What a Wonderful World." I LOVE that song.

------------------
Taste is the enemy of art.

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
blah another American with the CHarlie Brown album!!!!

i still cant find the damn thing anywhere

try here:
www.amazon.com

search under charlie brown.

------------------
~ME THREE

you can try the best you can
you can try the best you can
the best you can is good enough

[This message has been edited by U2ME3 (edited 12-20-2001).]

Growing up, my folks had the *perfect* Christmas album (vinyl-what's that?), that featured Perry Como, Bing Crosby, Eartha Kitt, Doris Day....can't remember the name of it, but to me, THAT is Christmas! But my current faves are now:

The 'Peanuts' CD / The Vice Guaraldi Trio (Sula you rock!!
biggrin.gif
if you want an immediate trip back to your childhood - this will do it!)

Yule B Swingin - misc. swing-era Christmas tunes, really fun

Louis Armstrong & Friends - What a Wonderful Christmas

George Winston - December (you can feel the chill in the air listening to this one)

Tony Bennett - The Christmas Album

And my home made tapes from our local PBS radio station - every year they devote about 8 hours to playing the best, wackiest and most interesting Christmas stuff ever put out there. Great variety!

Disco

[This message has been edited by Discoteque (edited 12-20-2001).]

these are some of my favorite x'mas songs and albums:

christmas in hollis - run d mc
father christmas - the kinks
christmas blues - canned heat
merry christmas - the ramones
christmas wrapping - ???
santa baby - madonna
merry christmas - coldplay
fairytale of ny - the pogues
someday at christmas - stevie wonder

the motown christmas album
the vanguards christmas album
esquivel's merry christmas from the space-age

Originally posted by Salome:

almost as good as the John Denver and The Muppets Christmas album
biggrin.gif

Yay Salome! I love that album! Beaker going "memememememe" on "Twelve Days of Christmas"! Miss Piggy complaining about piggy pudding! The songs that always make me cry myself silly out of nostalgia!(Would "Alfie the Christmas Tree" and "Silent Night" please report for duty?)
The album is brilliant!

------------------
Larry's always been tough. He can laugh heartily telling the story of how as little kids on Christmas Eve he and his sister kept pestering their father,saying, "I think I hear Santa, Dad! I think I hear Santa!" Until their annoyed old man said "There is no Santa Claus! Now go to sleep!"

--Bill Flanagan,U2 at the End of the World

My fav song is "white Christmas" for some reason!

My fav album is "If Everyday Was Like Christmas" - Elvis Presley!

------------------
Love, slowly stripped away
Love has seen its better day...

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

My fave Christmas song of all time?
O Holy Night

My fave Christmas album?
Tie between
"Christmas Eve and Other Stories" by Trans-siberian Orchestra and
"The Christmas Album" by Air Supply