Favourite Kids TV programmes - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 01:45 AM
Favourite Kids TV programmes

Favourite Kids TV shows

A bunch of us were just discussing 70's/80's classic kids TV programmes in another posting which was straying off the original posts topic, so thought it would be a good idea to set up a post here to reminisce on your favourite kids TV programmes when you were younger.

So what were your favourite Kids TV shows when you were a kid, and why, and were there any kids tv programmes you didn't like? Here are a few of mine, bear in mind I'm from the UK...

* Rainbow
without a doubt the greatest kids TV programme ever - full stop! Featuring Zippy, George, Bungle, Geoffrey, Rod Jane & Freddy amongst others).

* Pipkins (Hartley Hare and Derek Griffiths)
* Lets Pretend (featuring guitar hero Christopher Lillicrap )
* Picturebox (anyone else remember this, had Humphrey the Cushion in it, a talking cushion that used to scare the heebeegeebees outta me!)
* Little Blue (lovely cartoon thing about an elephant)
* Chorlton And The Wheelies (insane stuff, never understood what was going off, but was fascinated by it)
* Jamie And The Magic Torch
A classic cartoon, where a kid called Jamie would helter skelter down into a secret world underneath his bed everytime he went to bed.

Oh so many more too, over to you guys...

Old 11-25-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
Jesus Online

Local Time: 12:45 PM
The Early Bird Show! The days when getting up at 7am on a Saturday was a great idea.
Then there was Aggro's Cartoon Connection which showed Masters of The Universe and other masterpieces of the 80s.
Romper Room. "Bend and stretch! Reach for the stars. There goes Jupiter, here comes Mars". There was not a kid alive back then who wasn't grateful if they had a common name which Miss WhoeverWasHosting would pretend she could see through her magic mirror watching her on the tv.
What was that cartoon with Penelope Pittstop and the car racing? That was another great one.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:22 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:45 PM
We only got like two channels growing up (this would be the late 80s and very early 90s), and I idolized Punky Brewster. I learned the real meaning of words like being "fired" from a job or being "grounded" for being bad from Punky. I also liked Small Wonders, some show about a girl who was really a robot but sometimes had feelings. Those are pretty much the only shows I cared about as a kid. Most of the shows my friends talk about, I've never even seen.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
Jesus Online

Small Wonders! She had brown hair and wore a red dress, right? Awesome. I remember that show. She 'slept' in a cupboard.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:29 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Small Wonders! She had brown hair and wore a red dress, right? Awesome. I remember that show. She 'slept' in a cupboard.
YES! It was like a dark reddish brown. And I think she had freckles. No one I know ever remembers this show!! I can still sing the theme song, but people say I'm making it up. laaa la la laa la la la la la la la laaaaa.......
Old 11-25-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
Jesus Online

Thanks for reminding me of it I cant believe I forgot that one. I watched it quite a few times. I dont think it aired for long over here, though.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:51 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
[B]
Then there was Aggro's Cartoon[B]

I have very distant memories of that show

Then there was Cheese TV , which really didnt show a lot of the older Kids shows....but...I was always suprised at how hyped up those two guys were for 6:30am (or whatever time it was the show started)....
Old 11-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The show was called Small Wonder. There was only one small wonder. The little robot girl. I think her name was Vicki. Vicki was "invented" by her father who was married and had a son name Jamie. Blah, Blah, Blah. It aired during the 80's on Channel 5 in NY. Funny, but cheesy.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:19 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:45 AM
Well, Rainbow obviously! Postman Pat, Playdays (especially the Tent stop), Fireman Sam, Sharky and George, Tintin, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (The ORIGINAL ones), Rosie and Jim, The Riddlers...this list could go on and on!
Old 11-26-2006, 02:23 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Favourite Kids TV programmes

Quote:
Originally posted by reggiethedawg

* Lets Pretend (featuring guitar hero Christopher Lillicrap )

* Picturebox (anyone else remember this, had Humphrey the Cushion in it, a talking cushion that used to scare the heebeegeebees outta me!)

I remember these two shows. Picturebox had that weird revolving box at the beginning and wasn't it like an educational show? I don't remember the talking cushion , thank goodness.

Didn't Let's Pretend have that weird puppet snake thing dancing to the opening credits?

I also loved Mr. Benn, Portland Bill, Rent-a-Ghost, Round the Twist, Chocablock, Cities of Gold and He-Man to name a few. I watched loads of TV as a kid.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I loved Mr. Benn too! I also went through a secret Byker Grove phase (secret because my best friend at the time insisted it was crap). Also my best friend at the time and I were briefly obsessed with Grange Hill. Bizarrely this manifested itself by my friend pretending to be the character 'Lori', running into the 'road' painted on the concrete in the playground, me shouting "Lorry!", her replying "What?!", me screaming "No! Lorry!" and her pretending to be viciously run over by a truck. (actually knowing me and my best friend at the time it was really pretty normal ). Ah, that joke never got old!
Old 11-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Byker Grove was great - I watched it during the classic PJ and Duncan years, when PJ (or was it Duncan?) got blinded in a freak paintballing accident. What a classic

Grange Hill was also a fave of mine - though I was from the Zammo era when he took a drugs overdose and died.

Gosh, kids TV could be mighty depressing, couldn't it?

Do you remember a show called Chocky? That show used to scare me sometimes - it had this green ghost thing in it with a scary voice
Old 11-26-2006, 03:24 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I clearly remember PJ getting blinded :snigger: The siren clearly sounds, PJ takes off his helmet and so, as you do, this other kid from Byker Grove suddenly bounds round the corner and shoots PJ full on in the face!

My era of Grange Hill was when Judy died after falling out of window while the school was on fire.
I didn't know Zammo died though. Then again my only experience of that storyline is that clip of that, er, big-boned kid finding him in the toilets and going "Zammo?" cue cut to "Just Say No".

Never heard of Chocky...what happened in it? I do remember Round The Twist though. Best theme tune ever! My era of kid's TV had tons of children's dramas imported from New Zealand and Australia. My favourite one had Michelle from Neighbours in it and her mum ran a fancy dress shop. What actually happened in it though eludes me! One thing's for sure it wouldn't be as depressing as British children's dramas- deaths, rapes, drug addictions, divorce, theft, violence- perfect grooming for kids to become Eastenders' addicts!
Old 11-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
God, there's loads

Bagpuss (natch )
Bod
Rainbow
the New Schmoo
Noggin the Nog
the Moomins
Postman Pat
Playschool
The Clangers
The Herbs
Granddad
Gruey
Brick-a-Brac
Chockabloc
Cities of Gold
Playaway
Fingerbobs
King Rolo

and many, many more...

:clap:
Old 11-26-2006, 03:34 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
oooooh and Rentaghost. How could I forget Rentaghost?!!!