Favourite Kids TV programmes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reggiethedawg

The Fly
Favourite Kids TV shows

A bunch of us were just discussing 70's/80's classic kids TV programmes in another posting which was straying off the original posts topic, so thought it would be a good idea to set up a post here to reminisce on your favourite kids TV programmes when you were younger.

So what were your favourite Kids TV shows when you were a kid, and why, and were there any kids tv programmes you didn't like? Here are a few of mine, bear in mind I'm from the UK...

* Rainbow :drool: :drool:
without a doubt the greatest kids TV programme ever - full stop! Featuring Zippy, George, Bungle, Geoffrey, Rod Jane & Freddy amongst others).

* Pipkins (Hartley Hare and Derek Griffiths)
* Lets Pretend (featuring guitar hero Christopher Lillicrap :rockon: )
* Picturebox (anyone else remember this, had Humphrey the Cushion in it, a talking cushion that used to scare the heebeegeebees outta me!)
* Little Blue (lovely cartoon thing about an elephant)
* Chorlton And The Wheelies (insane stuff, never understood what was going off, but was fascinated by it)
* Jamie And The Magic Torch
A classic cartoon, where a kid called Jamie would helter skelter down into a secret world underneath his bed everytime he went to bed.

Oh so many more too, over to you guys...

Last edited:
The Early Bird Show! The days when getting up at 7am on a Saturday was a great idea.
Then there was Aggro's Cartoon Connection which showed Masters of The Universe and other masterpieces of the 80s.
Romper Room. "Bend and stretch! Reach for the stars. There goes Jupiter, here comes Mars". There was not a kid alive back then who wasn't grateful if they had a common name which Miss WhoeverWasHosting would pretend she could see through her magic mirror watching her on the tv.
What was that cartoon with Penelope Pittstop and the car racing? That was another great one.

We only got like two channels growing up (this would be the late 80s and very early 90s), and I idolized Punky Brewster. I learned the real meaning of words like being "fired" from a job or being "grounded" for being bad from Punky. I also liked Small Wonders, some show about a girl who was really a robot but sometimes had feelings. Those are pretty much the only shows I cared about as a kid. Most of the shows my friends talk about, I've never even seen.

Angela Harlem said:
Small Wonders! She had brown hair and wore a red dress, right? Awesome. I remember that show. She 'slept' in a cupboard. :up:

YES! It was like a dark reddish brown. And I think she had freckles. No one I know ever remembers this show!! I can still sing the theme song, but people say I'm making it up. laaa la la laa la la la la la la la laaaaa.......

:applaud: Thanks for reminding me of it :D I cant believe I forgot that one. I watched it quite a few times. I dont think it aired for long over here, though.

Angela Harlem said:

Then there was Aggro's Cartoon

:drool:

I have very distant memories of that show :up:

Then there was Cheese TV , which really didnt show a lot of the older Kids shows....but...I was always suprised at how hyped up those two guys were for 6:30am (or whatever time it was the show started)....

The show was called Small Wonder. There was only one small wonder. The little robot girl. I think her name was Vicki. Vicki was "invented" by her father who was married and had a son name Jamie. Blah, Blah, Blah. It aired during the 80's on Channel 5 in NY. Funny, but cheesy.

Well, Rainbow obviously! Postman Pat, Playdays (especially the Tent stop), Fireman Sam, Sharky and George, Tintin, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (The ORIGINAL ones), Rosie and Jim, The Riddlers...this list could go on and on!

reggiethedawg said:

* Lets Pretend (featuring guitar hero Christopher Lillicrap :rockon: )

* Picturebox (anyone else remember this, had Humphrey the Cushion in it, a talking cushion that used to scare the heebeegeebees outta me!)

I remember these two shows. Picturebox had that weird revolving box at the beginning and wasn't it like an educational show? I don't remember the talking cushion :yikes: , thank goodness.

Didn't Let's Pretend have that weird puppet snake thing dancing to the opening credits?

I also loved Mr. Benn, Portland Bill, Rent-a-Ghost, Round the Twist, Chocablock, Cities of Gold :love: and He-Man to name a few. I watched loads of TV as a kid.:wink:

I loved Mr. Benn too! I also went through a secret Byker Grove phase (secret because my best friend at the time insisted it was crap). Also my best friend at the time and I were briefly obsessed with Grange Hill. Bizarrely this manifested itself by my friend pretending to be the character 'Lori', running into the 'road' painted on the concrete in the playground, me shouting "Lorry!", her replying "What?!", me screaming "No! Lorry!" and her pretending to be viciously run over by a truck. (actually knowing me and my best friend at the time it was really pretty normal :coocoo: :giggle: ). Ah, that joke never got old!

Byker Grove was great - I watched it during the classic PJ and Duncan years, when PJ (or was it Duncan?) got blinded in a freak paintballing accident. What a classic :wink:

Grange Hill was also a fave of mine - though I was from the Zammo era when he took a drugs overdose and died.

Gosh, kids TV could be mighty depressing, couldn't it?

Do you remember a show called Chocky? That show used to scare me sometimes - it had this green ghost thing in it with a scary voice :yikes:

I clearly remember PJ getting blinded :snigger: The siren clearly sounds, PJ takes off his helmet and so, as you do, this other kid from Byker Grove suddenly bounds round the corner and shoots PJ full on in the face!

My era of Grange Hill was when Judy died after falling out of window while the school was on fire. :sad:
I didn't know Zammo died though. :ohmy: Then again my only experience of that storyline is that clip of that, er, big-boned kid finding him in the toilets and going "Zammo?" cue cut to "Just Say No".

Never heard of Chocky...what happened in it? I do remember Round The Twist though. Best theme tune ever! My era of kid's TV had tons of children's dramas imported from New Zealand and Australia. My favourite one had Michelle from Neighbours in it and her mum ran a fancy dress shop. What actually happened in it though eludes me! One thing's for sure it wouldn't be as depressing as British children's dramas- deaths, rapes, drug addictions, divorce, theft, violence- perfect grooming for kids to become Eastenders' addicts! :wink:

God, there's loads :hmm:

Bagpuss (natch :wink: )
Bod
Rainbow
the New Schmoo
Noggin the Nog
the Moomins
Postman Pat
Playschool
The Clangers
The Herbs
Granddad
Gruey
Brick-a-Brac
Chockabloc
Cities of Gold
Playaway
Fingerbobs
King Rolo

and many, many more...

:clap:

Re: Re: Favourite Kids TV programmes

Tilli said:

Do you remember a show called Chocky? That show used to scare me sometimes - it had this green ghost thing in it with a scary voice

OMG Chocky, I had totally forgotten that one! That was classic, way too scary for kids TV, even my mum used to sit and watch that. It was a green ethereal pyramid thingy that talked.

oooooh and Rentaghost. How could I forget Rentaghost?!!!
Fingerbobs
And Dangermouse!!!!!!!!

Damn, now you're really talking! Fingerbobs, Dangermouse, and Rentaghost :drool: :drool:

Wasn't Audrey Roberts from Coronation Street in Rentaghost or have I lost the plot? Dangermouse was seriously funny, I'd love to see some of them again as I think a lot of the humour in those were adult orientated.

Hmmmm a few more have just sprung to mind...

Button Moon :drool: (featuring Licklebockle - ie Littlebottle), and everything was made from household items, mainly from the kitchen I think.
Playaway (with the legendary Brian Cant, he's still going strong!)
Ivor The Engine (Chercheecoo, Chercheecoo!)
Mr Men (Mr Greedy & Mr Topsy Turvy rocked!)
Whydontyou? (I could never get enough of this)
The Red Hang Gang
The Famous Five
Morph

:drool: :drool: :drool:

*Wipes back tears of nostalgia*

I feel sorry for the youth of today, I really do!

Ah i see you statrted the kid's tv show thread!!!! :wink: :hyper:

Can't believe i only just found it 24 hrs later! :ohmy:

You're right that Audrey Roberts from Corrie was in Rentaghost :lol: what a crazy but great prog and i love the theme tune!!! :yes:

God i watched all those shows! I actually have a book about it somewhere i bought about 5 yr ago! Not sure where it is! :hmm:
Be a good idea to dig it out to find out anything we want to remember :up:

The herbs was an excellent one too!

And has anyone mentioned Capt Pugwash yet? :shifty:

I well remember Humphrey cushion!

susanp6 said:
Ah i see you statrted the kid's tv show thread!!!! :wink: :hyper:

Can't believe i only just found it 24 hrs later! :ohmy:

You're right that Audrey Roberts from Corrie was in Rentaghost :lol: what a crazy but great prog and i love the theme tune!!! :yes:

God i watched all those shows! I actually have a book about it somewhere i bought about 5 yr ago! Not sure where it is! :hmm:
Be a good idea to dig it out to find out anything we want to remember :up:

The herbs was an excellent one too!

And has anyone mentioned Capt Pugwash yet? :shifty:

I well remember Humphrey cushion!

Hehe welcome on board Susan!

Captain Pugwash :drool:
Can't believe I left this one out! My mum will have a photo of me buried away somewhere at my 4th birthday party wearing my pride and joy... a Captain Pugwash t-shirt.

The whole Seaman Stains, and Master Bates thing that everyone talks about from that show is an urban myth though isn't it? They never really existed did they?

The Herbs is ringing distant bells, I've gotta say, what was that one about?

Dig the book out, dig the book out, more nostalgia!! :wink:

:lol: :wave:

I think the Pugwash stuff is a myth i understand, yes!!!! :lol: i've heard lots of people debate that whole subject! It's always a big talking point eh!!! gets everybody sniggering anyway! lol.

I'll try&find the book in the next day or 2 - no way i feel like getting it out now so to speak! :ohmy:

The herbs were like animated animals named after herbs like there's a lion called Parsley! Also Dill the dog! It was ace!

Oh Willow the wisp too - with Kenneth Williams voicing!

Ohhh Matron, stop messing about! Willow the Wisp was great, even though I never understood what was happening, a bit like Chorlton and The Wheelie World, what the heck was all that about, the creators must have been doing some serious drugs :lol: !

The Herbs is definitely ringing bells, was it a BBC thing circa Rhubarb & Custard - mid 70's? Lol, Rhubarb & Custard, theres another classic! And what a theme tune.

That Aussie kids show Round The Twist had the best theme music ever though.

Hmmmm.... Runaround, Gggggggg Go!!! Remember that?!! With the legendary Mike Reid. Remember the circular table chock full of prizes. You can imagine Mike Reid clipping misbehaving kids round the earhole off camera.

Magpie!!! ITV's Blue Peter, with Tony Barnstaple, Jenny Hanley :drool:, and Tommy Boyd who went on to present Childrens ITV. Tony Barnstaples name used to send me into fits of hysterics for some strange reason. I was a disturbed child lol.

Nah, Herbs is animated like plasticine but Rhubarb&custard is a cartoon but yes what a theme tune indeed - hilarius :lmao: i loved it!

Chorlton and the wheelies was amazing and how crazy is that witch? :ohmy:

Oh yeah Runaround with old Frank Butcher! :lol: always used to watch it.

:lmao:

I'm off to bed :wave:

i shall return with book sometime soon i'm sure! :)

Hmmm, let me remember...it was a LONG time ago
You Can't Do That On Television
Grange Hill
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole
Degrassi Junior High (the original one)
Kimba The White Lion
Inspector Gadget
The Magic Roundabout
and there was some aussie show, on the abc on weeknights about a group of kids at a summer camp, i just cant remember the name of it!! Anyone know it?

was that the one with the evil guy who wanted to infiltrate them or something, and these kids were so clean cut and upstanding it was rather revolting? there was a fat kid and he was bribed with a big tin of lollies once. they wore blue tee-shirts.
:hmm:

I used to like The Herbs. It was so cute! (In the UK, kids' TV programmes seem to be repeated more often than Cash in the Attic!).

And to be :nerd: for a second. Blue Peter was good. Diane Louise Jordan is an absolute legend :bow:
Plus I remember the whole Richard Bacon cocaine scandal well. They had a broadcast from the BBC's head of children's programming right in the middle of CBBC and everything.

bammo2 said:
lol richard bacon. He was a childhood friend of mine, and was a bit of an idiot even then. He pooed on my bathroom floor when he was about 12 for no reason. And the toilet was in a seperate room

:lol:

:laugh: Well that explains a lot. I used to love the Herbs too, Parsley the Lion was my favourite and I vaguely remember the old glory days of Blue Peter with John Noakes, (come here Shep), Peter Purves and Valerie Singleton. Also loved the Magic Roundabout, the Clangers, White Horses, Mr Benn but the best of them all was Tiswas :drool: Saturday mornings have never been the same since.

Back
Top Bottom