Favourite board games

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometime I get a rousing game of "Hi Ho Cherry-o" going with my daughter.

My favorite all time game is a fairly simple one called "The Name Game". It is ideal for parties of six or more.

All you need are slips of paper, pens, a large bowl and a timer.

Everyone writes down the name of someone living or dead, real or fictional on the slips of paper. Take about 15 minutes to do this. The only limitation is that at least half of the people should recognize the name (this avoids trying to guess someone's third grade teacher, etc.). The more names the better.

Divide people into two teams. Each team takes turns sending one representative up to pick names from the bowl and give clues to their team. You cannot use "sounds like" clues, as that would make it too easy.

Each team has 60 seconds to guess as many names as possible. The representative may pick up the first name and look at the slip before the clock starts.

If a name is difficult or the representative does not know how to describe the name, they may pass on that name. You are limited to one pass per round. The person picking the names has one pass. Thus, if you pass on a name, you keep that name in one hand and take one more name from the bowl. If you are stuck on the second name, you cannot go back to the bowl for more names.

All names guessed by a team are discarded. The game continues until there are no names left in the bowl.

What is interesting about the game is the type of names added by each participant. Individual interests are revealed by the names that appear. Frequently, people run with themes (listing Disney characters, for example or if you find Ryan Adams 50 times, you are playing with BC).

Fun, competitive, no cost!

Enjoy!

Got to go with trivial pursuit as well. maybe get the dvd edition though because it at least has something to look at for those people who get bored quick. I also like headbandz and scattagories.and charades are always hilarious, especially if you make up your own catagories.
by the way it's called clue in canada too, never heard of cluedo

I've got a good game but it's a bit girlie! It's called 'Knowing Me Knowing You', not sure if you can get it anywhere other than the UK. It's basically a game to see how well you know your friends, with questions like...
Which band would (Whatever the name is!!) like to sing backing vocals for...?
What works best for (that person again!)...alcohol,massage or yoga?
Which Hollywood celebrity would (that person again!) like to accompany to a premier?
etc!
I've played it with good friends lots of times and it's great fun, especially with a wee drink or two!

I love Scattergories and Trivial Pursuit. Just about any board game is 'fun' with my family. Last time we played Taboo, one of my sisters ended up throwing cards at the other sister. And last time we played Monopoly, my dad decided he wanted to quit while he was ahead, so he gave all of his money to my sister who was pretty much bankrupt. A brawl just about broke out over whether that was a 'legal' move.

If my sister and her husband ever get divorced, it will be over a board game... :tsk: :D

Seriously, I love playing them with my family.

And I must confess, I've never played Risk. :reject: Maybe someone can teach me. :wink:

HeartlandGirl said:
And I must confess, I've never played Risk. :reject: Maybe someone can teach me. :wink:

Rules Of Risk

1. Throw tiny, easily loosable game pieces on random countries.

2. Roll dice several hundred times, only to lose.

3. Flip the gameboard and send the pieces flying.

At least that's how I've come to know the game. :wink:

...And yes, I'm bitter. :lol:

bonosloveslave said:
Beyond Balderdash is a fun board game :up:

balderdash, that's the one i was forgetting. love that one. super-fun, especially when you play with people with warped minds like my friends.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom