Favorite things your parents said growing up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RussellbeStaji

The Fly
on the other side of the world where people walk u
Okay, so it's 5:00 in the morning!!! Whoo!! Working on a last minute paper due in 5 hours... yea.. procrastination. Anyway, what was one of those things your parents used to say while you were growing up that still makes you laugh when you hear it/ think about it?

Example: my mom referring to a bowlegged person- "That girl couldn't corner a pig in a 2 foot alley."

Yea..

------------------
Southern playalistic

"Put a jumper on, you'll get triple pneumonia"

"Mr Whippy plays the music when he's run out of icecream"

"Do you want to be grounded?" Yeah, *yawn* thought you'd never ask. I never got grounded by the way.

But I think I'm scarred.

I remember my mom always talking about how hot Huey Lewis was and screaming "HUEY!!!" everytime he came on the radio.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

I still have to listen to this one:

As long as your under my roof, you'll abide by my rules!

(i hated this one) when i was about 6/7 in the summer we were sent to bed early and i used to look out my bedroom and see all the little children still playing and we used to cry but everyone else is out playing- they said so if everyone else stuck their hand in a fire, would you?
then but its still birght, bedtime is for when its dark
Them- When your older youll be healthy strong children, one day you will thank us *yawn* yeh right!

------------------
I love the way you look at me, I love all the things you do.

[This message has been edited by bono-vox (edited 02-19-2002).]

Shut that door, I can't heat/air condition the whole outside world!

Keep your arm inside the car, there was this little girl who got it cut off by a passing truck and her parents had to stop the car and run back to find it.

If you sing at the table, the crows will peck you.

If you pull the hair out of your brush and throw it on the ground, and a bird finds it and builds a nest with it, you'll go bald.

It's bad luck to rock a chair with nobody in it.

If you don't stop I'm going to whoop you with a cake turner (she never did really)

See my big fat hand? Get out from in front of the TV set while the game is on!

If you go on the next street without telling me, the boogerman will get you. (Boogerman being a child molester, not a creature)

This one is not my parents but my older sister:

If you're not in bed by 11 when the train comes by, a monster will jump off and eat you.

me: There's no such thing as monsters. They all live in Fairytale land.

Her: Ah, but the train is coming from fairy tale land!

Well, I still live with my parents, so I still hear these sometimes.
rolleyes.gif

When someone says "thank you" to my mom: "Thank you, thank you, thank you, said the goose" (reference to Charlotte's Web)

When I ask where someone, probably my dad, is: "He has disappeared without trace," my mom again (Sherlock Holmes ref--funny thing because my mom is probably the least big Holmes fan in my family--but she does like him)

"Maternal advice coming up" when she wants to tell me something about cooking or laundry or something (and unfortunately it tends to get me to tune out)

Actually, both my mom and dad are wonderful and brilliant people, but I think my mom is more prone to the interesting sayings.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

My mom still calls me "Peach Pit." I don't know why, but I LOVE IT. She cracks me up. My mom is a great lady. My dad is my hero, but I can't think of any good quotes at the moment.

Mother's mantra..."never marry a man who drinks"(she's raised 4 daughters and I think we all thank her for "drumming that into us" as she would say.)
lots of others,"rise and shine" was a fave. I never listened to her one about "keeping it short and sweet"

[This message has been edited by cass (edited 02-19-2002).]

LOL cass, my mum used to say that too, and gamblers.
She also used to say ALL the time, 'you kids have it so lucky, my mother was so strict with me" Which is absolutely hilarious if you know my grandmother. She has to be the sweetest kindest most excellent person I know. She is really on her way to Sainthood.
Brilliant lady.
smile.gif

Mum: Why do you need so many stuffed animals on your bed?!
JT: But I like them.
Mum: If they fall on the heat vent, they'll catch fire and burn the house down! It'll be all your fault.

Of course, this probably explains why I have a closet shelf full of stuffed animals and my bedsheets and blankets never hangover the edge of my bed.

------------------
"Don't let the world bring you down
Not everyone here is that fucked up and cold.
Remember why you came and while you're alive
experience the warmth before you grow old."
-- Incubus: The Warmth

SlipStream Soul

[This message has been edited by J-Tree (edited 02-20-2002).]

My Dad always and still says:
"Wellp, I'm goin' to bed, g'night!" (In a very nerdy voice)

My Mom says:
"You can't elope with a canteloupe"

harhar

------------------
We plants are happy plants.

Back
Top Bottom