Favorite Superhero - Superman vs Batman vs Spiderman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
These three always seem to be the first names to come up when superheros are mentioned, so I thought it would be fun to debate which one is your favorite and why.

For me, it's Batman, easily.

First of all, I find Superman boring. By that, I mean that it's just too simple. It's the basis for all other superheros, BECAUSE it's simple. It's bland. Superman is the vanilla of superheros. The basis for any great superhero story is the struggle of duality, and I think of the three superheros we're discussing, Superman does the worst job of hitting on that. He's too perfect, too infallible, too pretty. And that flawlessness is what makes him boring and simple. That's why little kids love him so much. He's easy to understand and relate to. Superman doesn't require much thinking. There isn't much in the way of depth.

I like Spiderman a lot. The whole duality thing is done much better than Superman, at least in the recent three movies. The idea that power comes with responsibility comes across very well. One of the big drawbacks about Spiderman, imo, is the enemies. They're not developed enough. They're like cartoons.

Green Hornet 2 is suddenly instilled with the irrational desire to kill Spiderman because his father said to? And then just as quickly because some butler says 'your father was a liar', he suddenly changes his mind and becomes Peter's friend again? Not believable. The whole Topher Grace character in the third film was just laughable. That was the worst part of that film for sure. The character's reason for hating Spiderman was completely disproportionate to how much he hated Spiderman, and the way in which he transformed into Venom was completely stupid. Sandman was the only sort of cool enemy in part 3(Doc Ock was pretty cool in part 2). The thing about any dual-intentity character in a superhero story, good or bad, is that there has to be some conflict in that character, and it has to be developed on BOTH sides of the character. Harry Osbourne was written as a weak-minded son of a bitch, and his big conflict(his father's word vs Peter's word) wouldn't have been a conflict for a stronger-minded person. Brock/Venom just had no conflict about anything at all and, as such, was boring and underdeveloped. Terrible, pointless character. Anyway, I've gone off on a tangent.

The one other big drawback about Spiderman, for me, is that in the big action scenes, so much of it is CGI that the whole 'live action' idea is pretty much gone. Of course, it has to be CGI when you're talking about a guy swinging from skyscraper to skyscraper on a spiderweb thread, but still. It gets to look like a cinematic in a video game or something.

Now, onto Batman. First off, to get it out of the way, his enemies are by far my favorite...Joker, Catwoman, Penguin, The Riddler, Two-Face, on and on and on. But that's relatively minor compared to the other reasons I pick Batman.

The more I watch the Burton Batman films, the more impressed I am by the job he did of just putting a comic book on a screen. There was no CGI then, and the whole 'live action' concept is done EXTREMELY well in these two films. But on to more important things.

Batman just has a much darker aura about it than the other two. The themes are much darker, starting from the very point that Bruce Wayne became Batman. There is a HUGE difference between Batman and the other two that is imperative to one's appreciation and understanding of Batman, and that is this: Clark Kent became(or rather always was) Superman because of an accident of birth. On the level of the virgin mary's divine conception. Peter Parker became Spiderman because he was bitten by a spider. Both Clark Kent and Peter Parker became superheros because of freak accidents. Bruce Wayne is the only one of the three that CHOSE to be a superhero(after his parents were murdered), and in my eyes, that makes Bruce Wayne/Batman INFINITELY more interesting as a character and as a study of duality than the other two.

He's a total loner, and he's MADE THE CHOICE to fight crime as Batman, to totally alientate himself from from society(his headquarters are an underground cave for crying out loud), from having a normal life. I think Bruce Wayne struggles with reconciling his need to fight crime because of his parents with his desire to, like, have a normal social life and stuff, more than the other two ever do. I mean, Clark Kent/Superman hardly had anything to reconcile, and Peter Parker already had his girl in the last two films, so his struggle was really more about not letting the power go to his head, and that's just an easier struggle to overcome than Bruce Wayne's, imo. At the end of the Superman and Spiderman films, you sort of get the feeling that Clark and Peter have some semblence of a peace of mind. In the Batman films, especially when Michael Keaton and Christian Bale are Batman, when the films are over, you get the feeling that Bruce has no peace of mind whatsoever, and is just as mentally and emotionally uneasy as he was at the beginning of the film. And that makes him just much, much more interesting. And that's the crux of the reason I pick Batman so easily.

Your turn.

Last edited:
Green Lantern

Green_Lantern_by_Lepios.jpg

quote from bill :

Superman stands alone. Superman did not become Superman, Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he is Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red S is the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears, the glasses the business suit, that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He's weak, unsure of himself... he's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race.

Gotta go with Batman on this one, I've always been a Batman fan.

I'll never forget watching Returns, seeing The Penguin drop dead, and my mother telling me that "he was just sleeping and his penguin friends were taking him to bed"... in the sewage water.

I mean, even Batman's Rogues Gallery is classic: The Joker, The Penguin, Catwoman, The Riddler, Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, Scarecrow, Bane, Poison Ivy, Clayface, Egghead.

200px-Egghead_batman.jpg

Well maybe no egghead.

Best Batman = Michael Keaton, but Christian Bale will replace him as the best if The Dark Knight is as good as I'm hoping it'll be.

Best superhero movie? Batman Begins? Spidey 2? Superman: The Movie?

Last edited:
as "Return of The Dark Knight" reveals... at the end of times, Superman becomes the goverment's boy scout, Batman fights for everything that's right, and eventually beats him...

Batman hasn't "died"...

Superman hasn't returned from a wheelchair to fight crime...

Spiderman is EMO

intedomine said:
Captain Pollution

"EARTH!"
"FIRE!"
"WIND!"
"WATER!"
"HEART!"

"Go Planet!"

"By your powers combined, I am Captain Planet!"

Captain Planet, he's our hero
Gonna take pollution down to zero

He's our powers magnified
And he's fighting on the planet's side

Captain Planet, he's our hero
Gonna take pollution down to zero

Gonna help him put asunder
Bad guys who like to loot and plunder

"You'll pay for this Captain Planet!"

We're the Planeteers
You can be one too
'Cause saving our planet is the thing to do!

Looting and polluting is not the way
Hear what Captain Planet has to say!

"The Power is Yours!"

COBL_04 said:
Spiderman's crap.

Batman's a little dark.

Superman kicks fucking arse. The story is so good.

What if I shoot Kryptonite darts at him? Then an 8-year-old girl can kick his ass.

Batman?

He'd spray me with "Anti-Kryptonite Gun Spray" then kung fu the shit out of me.

Originally posted by namkcuR
I like Spiderman alot. The idea that power comes with responsibility comes across very well.

Yes indeed ... I agree, it's Spidey for me too !! :up:

Originally posted by namkcuR
One of the big drawbacks about Spiderman, imo, is the enemies. They're not developed enough. They're like cartoons.

True. But have you ever seen the original 1967 Spiderman Cartoon collection ?? :applaud:
OMG ... if those 'villians' were brought to life (for real) on the movie screen !!
WOW !! Spiderman would indeed have his work 'cut-out' for him. :evil:

Here's some of those amazing villians from that collection ...

Okay, yes, these 3 villians were already in the Spidey movie. :wink:

The Green Goblin
Dr. Octopus
The Sandman

But here's several more amazing villians, from that cartoon collection, that would be an even 'tougher act' for Spidey to conquer over ...

Electro (The Human Lightning Bolt)
The Scorpion
The Vulture
The Slippery Dr. Von Schlick
Dr. Magneto
The Phantom
The Lizard Man
Doctor Noah Boddy ... (this villian was invisible.) :yikes:
The Flying Dutchman
The Rhino
The Fly Brothers
Parafino ... this villian had a wax museum. Creepy !! :scream:

I hope someday they make another sequel (possibly #4 or a later #5) that has some of the amazing 'villians' listed above in the movie.
That would really be awesome. :bow:

Back
Top Bottom