Favorite Superhero - Superman vs Batman vs Spiderman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There have been some alternate universe aka imaginary stories outside regular continuity showing a dark version of Superman where he basically obiterates everyone. Superman can be written in a manner where he is the scariest SOB ever and not always as a boyscout. It all depends on which story you read. Some Batman stories depict him as a big ole softie or with strong ethics like the aftermath of Identity Crisis which other heroes don't follow. Oliver Queen aka Green Arrow makes Batman look like a boy scout sometimes. Wonder Woman killed Maxwell Lord by snapping his neck to stop him from controlling Superman and it was broadcast to the world. I doubt Batman would willingly execute someone unlike his replacement, years ago.

:nerd:

trevster2k said:
There have been some alternate universe aka imaginary stories outside regular continuity showing a dark version of Superman where he basically obiterates everyone. Superman can be written in a manner where he is the scariest SOB ever and not always as a boyscout. It all depends on which story you read. Some Batman stories depict him as a big ole softie or with strong ethics like the aftermath of Identity Crisis which other heroes don't follow. Oliver Queen aka Green Arrow makes Batman look like a boy scout sometimes. Wonder Woman killed Maxwell Lord by snapping his neck to stop him from controlling Superman and it was broadcast to the world. I doubt Batman would willingly execute someone unlike his replacement, years ago.

That's what makes it so hard to vote on a fave superhero, too. I'm sure the movies nowadays have more of a bearing on the perception of superheroes than the comics themselves.

Frank Miller's Batman series is probably my favorite comic book series of all-time.

Last edited:
I've never read comic books, so going by the movies it's Spiderman for me, by default. I find Superman pretty dull and never got into Batman movies either. Granted, I still haven't seen Batman Begins, but my impression of Batman from the earlier films is that of a chin in a costume with zero personality.

Firstly, "Green Hornet" was not Spiderman's enemy. It was the Green Goblin or Hobgoblin. So that just shows your damn DC bias. I was a Marvel guy as a teen, so right there I hate you....

(kidding)
There's a difference between the films and the comic books, though, which have gone through several writers. I guess, in terms of movies, I'd agree that Batman Begins was the best. However, I'd say Superman by Bryan Singer has much more potential than Spiderman by Sam Raimi.

Singer did a great job with the first two X-Men films because he got rid of a lot of the melodrama. They weren't perfect or as good as Batman Begins, but they were pretty good.

I think the Spiderman films suck, and I loved Spiderman as a kid and comic collecting teen. The writers made it simplistic and overdone, though X-Men was the better comic book.

I really find Tim Burton one of the most overrated directors of all time. His movies are silly and superficial. His Batman flicks were childish. I would say he was perhaps better at conveying the cinematic potential of Batman with lots of wide shots of the cloak which I found missing from Christopher Nolan's film. However, I'd say Bryan Singer kicks Burton and Raimi to the curb. It's just that things didn't work out as well as he'd hoped. It's kinda like how Ang Lee flopped with Hulk. You can tell both are trying for something deeper. Singer was trying to make Superman less dramatic but it's so hard given his role in the traditional stories. How do viewers relate to a character who can do anything. Where's the conflict? Wouldn't he be tempted to use his powers for self-serving ends? Well, I guess he was stalking his ex-girlfriend, looking into her window.

Anyway, I agree with you; my ranking goes like this:

Nolan's Batman
Singer's X-Men films
Singer's Superman
Raimi's Spiderman films
Burton's Batman

And, if you haven't, you should check out Christopher Nolan's "The Prestige", which was awesome! So much more complex and interesting than the crappy "Illusionist."

Saracene said:
my impression of Batman from the earlier films is that of a chin in a costume with zero personality.
That's pretty funny. Batman Begins was so much better than the other Batman films, though. They poorly cast the annoying wife of Tom Cruise though. Every time I see her, I get annoyed.

LemonMacPhisto said:

What if I shoot Kryptonite darts at him? Then an 8-year-old girl can kick his ass.

Batman?

He'd spray me with "Anti-Kryptonite Gun Spray" then kung fu the shit out of me.

He doesn't have any awesome special powers though. He's strong, sure, but Superman has it all, uh, man.

And I agree that Spiderman is emo.

COBL_04 said:

He doesn't have any awesome special powers though. He's strong, sure, but Superman has it all, uh, man.

And I agree that Spiderman is emo.

That's one of the reasons why I love Batman, he doesn't have any powers whatsoever. All he has are skill, intelligence, and the coolest gadgets ever.

Muldfeld said:

I really find Tim Burton one of the most overrated directors of all time. His movies are silly and superficial. His Batman flicks were childish. I would say he was perhaps better at conveying the cinematic potential of Batman with lots of wide shots of the cloak which I found missing from Christopher Nolan's film.

What makes those movies childish, at least for you?

The first comic my dad bought me was Spiderman. I loved it. I loved Batman and Superman. I still have all of my comics.

Probably my favorite comic in my possession is Superman VS Muhammad Ali. It is AWESOME!!!!!

I cannot choose between the three of them.

trevster2k said:

Great post. I'll join you in your nerddom. :wink: I'm 27, a doctor, married, and expecting my first child, and I still read comics. :nerd:

When I was a kid, I liked the idea of Spider-Man, mainly because there was a tv show and because I thought it looked cool to swing around like he did. But I always thought his whole emo, Peter Parker/Spider-Man duality was pretty lame....it might be interesting theoretically, but it gets old and just seems weak.

As a teen, I was a pretty straight-arrow kid. Thus, Superman became my idol. Yes, he was pretty bland, but the storylines were exciting, as that was the period where he died & returned. Plus, as I got into high school and started to dream of what I wanted to do with my life, Superman resonated with my idealism of adolescence.

I was big on the X-Men for a while, but mainly because they were a cool read, not because I thought they were great heroes or anything.

Batman---here's a character I've liked since I was a kid, but the reasons for that have changed over time. I was 9 when the first movie came out (it was 1989, right?), so all the cool boyish superhero idolatry shone through with me and the film. Had Batman cereal, toys, etc. I liked him because Batman was just a cool-ass character. I didn't really read him much because he was so dark, and I was soon to enter into my aforementioned straight-arrow Superman phase. :wink: Now, however, I love reading his books---mainly because, as trevster says, he has this interesting self-dynamic of brutal tough-guy and sentimental softie mixed in one. Despite his absurd intelligence, strength, etc., he seems to be the most "human" of the characters...even with most characters having their own touchy, sentimental, thought-provoking moments in their own books. Batman's interactions with Robin, and especially with Nightwing (Dick Grayson, the original Robin), are just plain awesome.....and it's there that you see Batman's true character come through.

If we're talking villains, I'd say that most superheroes only have a small handful of cool, interesting villains, and that the rest of their villains are lame. This fits with Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man (most of the ones listed in another post are memorable because they've been around for 40 years, but they're pretty lame nonetheless). There are only a few truly worthy villains for each hero, and that's why those villains are famous--Lex Luthor, the Joker, etc.

In all, I'm currently most fascinated by the interactions between the heroes in the DC Universe. That's why I really like the Justice League books right now----Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, etc. DC has been doing a great job of making their characters' interactions so damn interesting over these last few years. And it's in the crossover books and serial story arcs----Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, etc.---that DC's writers make the human, interesting sides of the characthers really shine. There's some great stuff going on in there.

1967 SpiderMan Cartoon Collection Theme Song ... :drool:

SpiderMan ... SpiderMan ... does whatever a spider can

Spins a web ... any size

Catches thieves ... just like flies

Look Out !! Here comes the SpiderMan !!

Is he strong ?? Listen, bud.

He's got radio-active blood

Can he swing ... from a thread ??

Take a look ... overhead

Hey There !! There goes the SpiderMan

In the jail ... of night

At the scene ... of a crime