Favorite one-hit wonders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No spoken words said:
But, the spirit of this thread is likely bands that had one song, out of nowhere, that charted, then disappeared. At least that's what I think it is.

It is, but I'll try and put away my anal retentive tendencies and not hold people to that. :wink:

Does "Big Country" by Big Country count?

You know what? Who cares if it does or does not? I just know that in a Big Country.....dreams stay with you........

I never learned to read, my designated reader did not show up tonight :down:

No spoken words said:
Does "Big Country" by Big Country count?

Of course it counts!

Ooh, thought of another random 80s one-hit wonder: "Live is Life" by Opus.

"Na naa na na na. LIVE IS LIFE! Na naa na na na. Bobba dop bop bop LIFE!"

Ah, but Naked Eyes also had "Promises, Promises."

Oops, there's that anal retentive side again. :uhoh:

How about Honeymoon Suite - "New Girl Now"?

fucking yes, i love that song :up:

Modern English wins because they created the ultimate '80s teen love song: "Melt with You" :up::up::up:

I loved that song until everyone rediscovered the 80s at the same time, and it got so overplayed ... including in Burger King commercials. :(

Ditto Soft Cell's "Tainted Love," although that one still makes me want to sing along.

I admit to a fondness for "Mickey." I never did care for "I Want Candy." Bow Wow Meh, if you ask me. :wink:

Nena - "99 Luftballons"

corianderstem said:
I loved that song until everyone rediscovered the 80s at the same time, and it got so overplayed ... including in Burger King commercials. :(

Ditto Soft Cell's "Tainted Love," although that one still makes me want to sing along.

Two of the '80s finest exports :up:

She Blinded Me with Science!

"Good heavens Ms. Yakamoto, you're beautiful!"

Thomas Dolby ftw.

New Radicals are still the winner here, methinks, and not just because I tossed them out first.

I have some bands that had like one minor hit, like Eve's Plumb or The Dambuilders, but, again, I don't think they really qualify here.

See, now I can't even name a song by either of those bands. You're getting too obscure. :wink:

I think in the States they were. I know Marc Almond had other albums and whatnot, but I think Tainted Love was pretty much it for them over here.

corianderstem said:
I think in the States they were. I know Marc Almond had other albums and whatnot, but I think Tainted Love was pretty much it for them over here.
I was horrified to see Soft Cell play on NBC's Today Show (yes they showed that in Australia) on some One Hit Wonders special a couple of years ago, followed by the Knack doing "My Sharona". :scream:

And lemme tell you, the singer out of the Knack ain't improved much over the years :no:

Back on track:

Axel F, the theme to Beverly Hills Cop (and I will kill the next person who has that as their ringtone, mark my words...:mad: )

Here's a few I thought of from the 90's:

marcy playground - sex and candy
spacehog - in the meantime
crash test dummies - mmm mmm mmm mmm
blind melon - no rain

and who could forget

sir mix a lot - baby got back

Here's a few :happy:

EMF - Unbelievable

Steam - Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax

Paul Davis - I Go Crazy

Lipps Inc. - Funkytown

The Vapors - Turning Japanese

Waitresses - I Know What Boys Like

Taco - Puttin' on the Ritz

Kajagoogoo - Too Shy

After the Fire - Der Kommissar

Musical Youth - Pass The Dutchie

Scritti Politti - Perfect Way

Blues Image - Ride Captain Ride

Mungo Jerry - In the Summertime

Climax - Precious and Few

Argent - Hold Your Head Up

Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

Come On, Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners

:D That song still rules.

"Rockabye" by The Guy That Sang Rockabye.
"It Takes 2" Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock. ("Joy and Pain" followed, but it wasn't a hit like It Takes 2)
"Ice Ice Baby" - Vanilla Ice
That Song by Teenage Fanclub (were'nt they the next Beatles?)
"One Night in Bangkok" by Murry Head.
"Rock Me Amadeus" Falco

snowbunny00774 said:
Brimful of Asha - cornershop

Is that what they say, "brimfull of asha on the 45"? Wow. What a random tune. I had forgotten all about it.

Lancemc said:
Dexy's Midnight Runners is the penultimate one-hit wonder phenomenon.

[/thread]
:scratch: then who is the last one hit wonder?

Back
Top Bottom