Favorite non-U2 concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
learn2kneel said:
1.Stereophonics/David Bowie - Moline IL
2.The Walkmen/Death Cab for Cutie/Modest Mouse - Chicago

Those are both some amazing lineups.

Jealous!

...did anyone ever see PIL (Public Image Limited) with Jhonny Rotten as the lead singer?.......great show, saw them back in the 90's....I forgot what year...

RedrocksU2 said:
Depeche Mode at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, 1988.
Opening acts....Thomas Dolby, OMD......

you were there?????????????:drool:

finally I'm jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:drool:

RedrocksU2 said:
...did anyone ever see PIL (Public Image Limited) with Jhonny Rotten as the lead singer?.......great show, saw them back in the 90's....I forgot what year...

No but I did see the Pistols on their "reunion" tour. Very weird gig only noticeable for the number of psychos who all crawled out from under their various rocks. VERY happy to sit in the balcony for that one! :wink:

sami0201 said:

heres the setlist from the show I was at (Madison Square Garden on June 22)
:drool:

1. Turn Up The Sun
2. Lyla
3. Love Like A Bomb
4. Bring It On Down
5. Morning Glory
6. Cigarettes & Alcohol
7. The Importance Of Being Idle
8. Little By Little
9. A Bell Will Ring
10. Live Forever
11. The Meaning Of Soul
12. Mucky Fingers
13. Champagne Supernova
14. Rock'n'Roll Star
15. Songbird
16. Wonderwall
17. Don't Look Back In Anger
18. My Generation

...and the Importance of Being Idle was awesome live! :heart:
I wish I was going again!
thats some nice setlist and in MSG too... wow!

:hmm: that's not easy... I saw Madonna in concert in 87 and in 90 and she was great.

And 2 weeks ago I went to see Michael Bublé and it was :drool: really good too

RedrocksU2 said:

Yes. I also saw them back in the 90's. I think New Order and the Sugarcubes played with them, but my memory is foggy. So I guess it wasn't that good of a show if I don't remember. OR I had such a good time, fell down, hit my head......and don't remember. Yeah, I'll go with the latter.

learn2kneel said:

The Walkmen/Death Cab for Cutie/Modest Mouse - Chicago

WOW!! That is some lineup. Some favorite non U2 shows:

Juliana Hatfield, Fletchers in Baltimore 97, she played for 3 hours.

Archers of Loaf, Nick's Upstairs in Philly, think it was 94-95. It probably wasn't their best show and I'd seen them a dozen times before they called it quits, but that was my first time seeing them.

Radiohead, Electric Factory in Philly 97

Lou Barlow, North Star in Philly 01, Had dinner and beers with Lou at this show. An experience I hope I'll never forget.

Arcade Fire, First Unitarian Church, Philly 04 WOW!! is about all I can say. It felt like a celebration.

Polysics - London On the Rocks. 22nd July 2004
Polysics - Birmingham Bar Academy. 11th September 2004.
Coldplay - Glastonbury 2005
Bloc Party - Glastonbury 2005

barlowdog said:

Yes. I also saw them back in the 90's. I think New Order and the Sugarcubes played with them, but my memory is foggy. So I guess it wasn't that good of a show if I don't remember. OR I had such a good time, fell down, hit my head......and don't remember. Yeah, I'll go with the latter.

You are completely right! I forgot the other bands!

New Order where great and the Sugarcubes (With Bjork!).....she is an incredible performer.....

There's not too many shows I've walked away from that I didn't enjoy (except for No Doubt @ Rain in the Palms) That venue is :down:

Among the favorites, though

Metallica Hard Rock LV New Year's '02? Or was it '03? :hmm:
Every Rush show I've ever been to
Tori Amos Hard Rock 2003 I got to hear Spacedog :woohoo:
U2 PopMart '97 & Elevation '01
and I had a really good time @ Avril Lavigne's show last year. Took the little ones and they loved it. Now they believe me when I say "they always sound better live" :wink:

Originally posted by learn2kneel
The Walkmen/Death Cab for Cutie/Modest Mouse - Chicago

I was there!

Radiohead/Low - MSG

The Cure/Love and Rockets/Pixies/Shellyan Orphan - Giants Stadium 1989

Intonation Festival last weekend - Chicago

Ride/Slowdive - MPLS

The Replacements/Elvis Costello - MSG (Elvis Costello actually sucked though)

zoney! said:

Radiohead/Low - MSG

The Cure/Love and Rockets/Pixies/Shellyan Orphan - Giants Stadium 1989

Ride/Slowdive - MPLS

Good lord, talk about being jealous.

I have been to lots of shows but these ones spring to mind:

Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Who, R.E.M., Police, Sting, David Bowie, Eurthymics, Peter Gabriel, Elton John, Rod Stewart, Tina Turner, Queen (3 times), Sarah Mclachlan, and U2.

u2 aside,

Coldplay at Bolton very recently was the best atmosphere and experience, after waiting in the rain all day, but the best musical gig would be the Manic Street Preachers at Leeds University.

Led Zeppelin Riverfront Coliseum 4/77. 'Song Remains The Same' Tour. 13 years old, teachers on strike. hands down, the best rock show i've ever seen. everything came together & it was magic.

got grounded & didn't get the bike i wanted. no regrets.:cool:

RedrocksU2 said:
...did anyone ever see PIL (Public Image Limited) with Jhonny Rotten as the lead singer?

yes

i saw them open for INXS in san diego, kick tour

steve jones was on drums

Just saw the original five Duran Duran last night in the swankiest old opera house you can imagine. I had seen them before in different incarnations but never the original band. They were tremendous. He still has 100 percent of his voice, and they have quite a catalogue from which to choose.

U2ElevatesMe415 said:
Clay Aiken.. 12/29/04
coolest thing ever, Row 7 in that arena was right up there.
:whistle:

:no:....:wink:

Springsteen at the Skydome in Toronto in '92 was a revelation for me...I went with my dad, who is a life-long fan. I was a casual fan, and too young to remember his early stuff...but he absolutely owned the place. At the end of the show, I was clapping along, my eyes as wide as saucers, to a song I was hearing for the first time: "Working on the highway." He had this undescribable charisma, and remains, in my opinion, one of those rare artists who are actually better live than on recording.

Others who fit that bill for me were Pearl Jam in Toronto in 2000 (can't wait to see both shows in St. John's this fall:)), U2 in TO, 2001....my first U2 show, and INXS in Toronto in 1988...I can barely remember it, except for the cool shirt my dad bought me, and their fantastic lead singer....a man no band in their right mind would dare to replace on a reality-tv show. :|

Some highlights for me:

REM - Green Tour, Edinburgh Playhouse, 1989

James - Students Union, St. Andrews, 1990

Prince - London Wembley Arena - Nude tour, 1990

The Orb, Roskilde Music Festival ,1991

The Sisters Of Mercy, Seelenbinder-halle, Berlin ,1991

Dinosaur Jr - Rollercoaster Tour , Glasgow SECC ,1992

Aphex Twin Live at Knowledge, SW1 London

The Breeders - Glasgow Plaza ,1993

Skunk Anansie - Glasgow Barrowlands, 1997

The Prodigy - T in the Park, Glasgow , 1998

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Reading Festival, 1999