Favorite Movie Scenes / Lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lila64

Blue Crack Distributor
We all have favorite scenes or lines from movies.
Pick a movie and tell about your favorite scene(s)/line(s) from it.

Dead Poet's Society

I love the end, just when Mr. Keating (Robin Williams) starts to walk out of the room - he walks by Todd (Ethan Hawke) and pauses, continues walking, and Todd is about to burst. He tries to speak up and say that (Robert Sean Leonard) Neil's death wasn't and is told to sit down by the dean/head teacher (Mr. Nolan). As Mr. Keating is about to reach the door out of the classroom, Neil stands up on his desk and says 'Oh Captain My Captain'. The music is playing (Maurice Jarre), and is building louder and louder as many of the students follow Todd's lead by standing on the desk. And then the camera is back on Mr. Keating, who then says: Thank You Boys, Thank You. Camera pans back to Neil (thru the legs of another student) standing on his desk and the movie ends. :love:

deadpoets2.jpg

as close as I could find to my description above

Good idea Lila!

OK a movie that stands out to me probably due to the timing and where I was at that point in my life is SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT, with Dennis Quaid, Julia Roberts, Robert Duvall, Kyra Sedgewick....

There is a scene early on in the movie which is about a character Julia Roberts plays, Grace, a demure prim small town wife who discovers her husband Eddie (Dennis Quaid) is having an affair AND it's not his first....so basically it's a story that follows Grace and her family through the ups and downs and antics involved in this small town drama. It's really about a woman's personal renewal after the break up of her marriage.

I think the scene is about a Charity League Club Meeting where Grace stands up and in front of everyone publicly embarrasses her husband by demanding to know who all has slept with her husband?

somethingtotalkabout.jpg

Not long after this scene, Grace moves in with her feisty wise-mouthed sister Emma Rae, played by Kyra Sedgewick, who is intent on helping Grace cope and get through the gossip and survive her impending divorce.

I found it hysterical because I'd pretty much gone through the same public humiliations and could relate to the characters and emotion in the movie, but it really made me laugh and feel good.

P.S. It ends on a good and happy note.

I like when they dance together near the end and the big party, and then a scene or two later (the end) she comes home from school and finds him cooking dinner for the 2 of them. Love his smile!

I love the scene in On Golden Pond when Jane Fonda and her Dad talk about their relationship (the one on the dock when she's trying to get the courage to jump ). I can't remember the exact lines even though I've seen it so many times. I think it's very powerful because it mirrored their real life relationship

Good Will Hunting-when Matt Damon's character tells off those Harvard jerks in the bar, all the great scenes between him and Robin Williams

the beach scene in From Here To Eternity

Pretty Woman-when she goes back to the snooty boutique, and the ending scene w/ Richard Gere

When Harry Met Sally-I'll have what she's having

The scene in Henry V when King Henry [Kenneth Branagh] is wooing Princess Katherine [Emma Thompson] and he doesn't speak French and she doesn't speak "Anglaise." Charming and funny and sweet.

The scene in Bridget Jones when Darcy and Daniel fight in the street and again the scenes in 2 when they fight in the fountain. Also the scene when Darcy comes over on Bridget's birthday and the whole atmosphere of the edge of possibilities and that line in the toast i.e. liking her 'just the way she is.'

:hmm: I know there are others that I'm not thinking of right now, but what comes to mind immediately is the chase scene in Raising Arizona. The one that starts after Holly Hunter leaves Nic Cage at the Quikie Mart as he's robbing it & ends with him hitching a ride with the oldster who tells him he's got "a panty" on his head. (He's pulled a pair of pantyhose over his face for the robbery & never removed them while being chased.) :lmao:

Actually, that whole damn movie is just one great scene after another. I never get tired of watching it. :happy:

YellowKite said:
Office Space - the whole fax machine episode - especially the music - "It's good to be a gangsta" :lol:

Office Space is a classic! We use many lines from that movie in my office all the time! "have you seen my stapler", "do you have my paycheck", "Uhhhhhh YEah.....", and don't forget to wear as many pieces of flair as you can! :laugh:

Can it get any better than Spinal Tap?!?!?!

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and....
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [Pause.] These go to eleven.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I just thought of another one, the funeral scene in Four Weddings And A Funeral

The kissing scene on the bike in Top Gun

There's a scene near the end of Four Weddings & A Funeral that I like. When Charles (Hugh Grant) is at the chuch on his wedding day, and the priest is asking him if he's having doubts. "Do you Charles, DO YOU?" It's just a funny line to us around the house, since we are always saying it... :giggle:

if you notice the very end when Hugh Grant comes outside to talk to Andie McDowell (Carrie), he comes out of the house and he's rather dry, a second later they are on the street and he's soaking wet. Little goof there! :wink:

Shallow Grave - the whole montage when they are interviewing for new roommates -

"I'm talking here about things like presence, charisma, style and charm, and I don't think we're asking too much, I don't think we're being unreasonable."

"When was the last time you heard these exact words: “You are the sunshine of my life?"

And the line that sums it all up the best:

"Oh, yes, I believe in friends, I believe we need them, but if, one day, you find you can't trust them any more, well, what then, what then?"

I :heart: Ewan MacGregor :love:

I'm a sucker but...

The boom box scene in Say Anything

and the scene in Almost Famous where they are singing Tiny Dancer on the bus after picking up Russel from the fans house :heart:

"...I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal.jpg

Also, the horse scene in The Godfather:

GodfatherI01.jpg

"I'll make him an offer he can't refuse..."

Freaking awesome..:drool: :drool:

Carek1230 said:

Office Space is a classic! We use many lines from that movie in my office all the time! "have you seen my stapler", "do you have my paycheck", "Uhhhhhh YEah.....", and don't forget to wear as many pieces of flair as you can! :laugh:

I use that at work all the time....Yeeeaaahhhh.... I'm gonna have you go ahead and do that, and "someone's got a case of the mondays".

You can't forget the gigantic panty scene from Bridget Jones.

nbcrusader said:
Can it get any better than Spinal Tap?!?!?!

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and....
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [Pause.] These go to eleven.

:lmao: I love that scene!!!!

Dazed and Confused--"I love high school girls..."
Any line from "Office Space" is good and of course the classic line from "Casablanca," "Here's looking at you kid."

:eyebrow: You talkin to me:eyebrow: You talkin to me?
I do not see anyone standin here, so you must be talkin to me.

Anything & everything from 16 candles, Breakfast Club, Better Off Dead and Airplane :happy:

*Gee Ricky I'm sorry your mom blew up
*He's skiing on one ski (K-12)
*It's real aardvark fur everyone will be wearing one this christmas season
*But it has raisins in it, you like raisins

*You ever see a grown man naked?
*Excuse me stewardess I speak Jive
*Hospital? What's a hospital? It's a big building with patients in it but that's not important

Rounders:

Mike McD walking back into Teddy KGB's place to win his way out of debt and proceeding to take Teddy to the cleaners. Love when he calls him out on the Oreo's.

Best line ever: "You can't lose wait you don't put in the middle...but you can't win much either." :drool: If that doesn't make you want to take a chance at something in life, nothing will.

one4u2 said:
Anything & everything from 16 candles, Breakfast Club, Better Off Dead and Airplane :happy:

*Gee Ricky I'm sorry your mom blew up
*He's skiing on one ski (K-12)
*It's real aardvark fur everyone will be wearing one this christmas season
*But it has raisins in it, you like raisins

*You ever see a grown man naked?
*Excuse me stewardess I speak Jive
*Hospital? What's a hospital? It's a big building with patients in it but that's not important

Surely you must be kidding :wink:

Back
Top Bottom