Favorite Literary Quotes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"But man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated."
Or
"His talent was as natural as the pattern that was made by the dust on a butterfly's wings. At one time he understood it no more than the butterfly did and he did not know when it was brushed or marred. Later he became conscious of his damaged wings and of their construction and he learned to think and could not fly any more because the love of flight was gone and he could only remember when it had been effortless."

Both by Hemingway.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Tolkien

She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my ams she was always Lolita.

Nabokov's Lolita

Many, many quotes from The Importance of Being Ernest :D I love that play.

"Never speak slightingly of society, Algernon. Only people who can't get into it do that."
"My dear nephew, you appear to be dsiplaying signs of triviality." "On the contrary Aunt Augusta, I've now realised for the first time in my life the vital importance of being earnest."

Oh how the movie let me down.

"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players." Shakespeare's As You Like It.

"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta." -Nabakov's Lolita.

"When I look back on my childhood I wonder how I survived at all. It was, of course, a miserable childhood: the happy childhood is hardly worth your while. Worse than the ordinary miserable childhood is the miserable Irish childhood, and worse yet is the miserable Irish Catholic childhood.
People everywhere brag and whimper about the woes of their early years, but nothing can compare with the Irish version: the poverty; the shiftless loquacious alcoholic father; the pious defeated mother moaning by the fire; pompous priests; bullying schoolmasters; the English and the terrible things they did to use for weight hundred long years.
Above all - we were wet." Frank McCourt's Angela's Ashes:love: :heart:

“They carried the soldier’s greatest fear, which was the fear of blushing. Men killed, and died, because they were embarrassed not to. It was what had brought them to the war in the first place, nothing positive, no dreams of glory or honor, just to avoid the blush of dishonor. They died so as not to die of embarrassment.” Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried

"Houses were shut tight, and cloth wedged around doors and windows, but the dust came in so thinly that it could not be seen in the air, and it settled like pollen on the chairs and tables, on the dishes." Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath

"There is something powerful in the whispering of obscenities, about those in power. There's something delightful about it, something naughty, secretive, forbidden, thrilling. It's like a spell, of sorts. It deflates them, reduces them to the common denominator where they can be dealt." Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale

Mine is

A true friend stabs you in the front...................

Oscar Wilde

It's funny

when I rad the thread title

Oscar Wilde came to mind also,

"each man kills the thing he loves..."

exerted from
Ballad of Reading Gaol

Yet each man kills the thing he loves
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!

Some kill their love when they are young,
And some when they are old;
Some strangle with the hands of Lust,
Some with the hands of Gold:
The kindest use a knife, because
The dead so soon grow cold.

Some love too little, some too long,
Some sell, and others buy;
Some do the deed with many tears,
And some without a sigh:
For each man kills the thing he loves,
Yet each man does not die.

"It was once said that a person's eyes are the windows to their soul. That was before people had cell phones."

"The best is a matter of standards - and I set my own standards. I inherit nothing. I stand at the end of no tradition. I may, perhaps, stand at the beginning of one."

- The Fountainhead, Ayn Rand

"In those days I thought light existed to show things, that space was simply a gap between me and the bodies I feared or desired; now it seems that bodies are the stations from which we travel into space and light itself." -- Alasdair Gray, Lanark

Back
Top Bottom