Favorite "foreign" language phrase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UberBeaver

Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
Being as how the "official" language of this site is English, I mean any non-English phrase.

I like:

Cest la vie (such is life)
Disgraziata (Disgraceful)
Sta ta zi (Shut your mouth)

No points will be taken off for spelling.

I use Spanglish alot, but tend to say these often..

"Ay dios mio!"
"No esta aqui"

I'm sure there's more.. I'm having lots of brain gas at the mo.

Gaan kak, jou Pommie doos!

Maybe I shouldn't translate. :wink: We're such a rude bunch, us Boers.

When I was taking Spanish classes, I would come up with little dittys while driving, because I started to think in Spanish! Here's one:

no tengo mucho dinero
porque estoy muy muy pobre

or, on a good day it might have been:

tengo muy mucho dinero
si si estoy muy muy rico

there's even a tune that I'd sing this to...

and that's what happens when you combine a limited vocabulary and crack :slant:

Weird words and phrases my family and friends use on a daily basis (sorry for the spellings!):

Stop your suessen and sonniken! = Stop throwing a fit/whining!

kijk [kike] es = look at that/look here/look at me!

Why are you so benaud? or Look at the benaud pupetje with his luppy/lupetje= Why are so you frustrated/depressed? or Look at the sad little boy/person with his blanky.

Also, underwear are always referred to as broekes [brooooookeys with a rolled "r"]. Junk or messes are always krubetje [krubetcha] or rumeltje, or just "crubbies" for short.

We also say "jest [yest] da boot off" a lot, which refers to the people with heavier Dutch accents. Like "You know Mr. De Vries, the one that's jest da boot off."

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Also, underwear are always referred to as broekes [brooooookeys with a rolled "r"]. Junk or messes are always krubetje [krubetcha] or rumeltje, or just "crubbies" for short.

Aw, the Dutch call them broekes too! Lekker. Except, I believe we spell it broekies. Our Canadian neighbours were completely lost when my mother told the story about the time when my sister took off her broekies at a dinner party and paraded them around the guests.

We also say kijk! Only difference is in the spelling (kyk.) I sometimes shout out "Kyk hoe val die dripples!" to my friends when it starts raining, as that was part of an old Afrikaans nursery rhyme I sang as a kid. They don't get it . :(

GibsonGirl said:

Aw, the Dutch call them broekes too! Lekker. Except, I believe we spell it broekies. Our Canadian neighbours were completely lost when my mother told the story about the time when my sister took off her broekies at a dinner party and paraded them around the guests.

:lol: I had typed "broekies" and then changed it b/c I wasn't sure. I have no clue how to spell these words because we only ever say them, and some of them aren't "real" Dutch, just an old, old family dialect.

I always do my laundry at my grandparent's on Sundays and one day my grandpa, who is very stern, very matter-of-fact, and very Dutch says as we're all at the table "Lies, you lost some tiny broekies behind the wash machine last Sunday."

Some of our words, like that, we're so used to, I forget normal people have no idea what I'm saying. When I was younger, I was writing a story for a class and for some reason I had to write about a "junk drawer". I said "Mom, how do you spell 'rumeltje'?" and she said, "Why? You can't use that word in your homework." :wink:

^ I am blue cheese??

Laissez les bon temps roulez!
Salut!

funny.gif

I'm probably mangling the spelling but "Shekka bavaka shaw" is Yiddish for "Shut your mouth please" I think, but I love saying it so it doesn't matter.

"SOD OFF YOU GROTTY LITTLE WANKER" is another fave of mine, but that's not a language, that's just cockney slang :wink:

Back
Top Bottom