Favorite "foreign" language phrase?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dazzlingamy said:
hahah sorry, its a made up word that we say in an italian accent when we get annoyed at something. It comes from my boyfriends aunt who is italian and speaks very fast and she dropped a big bowl of spaghetti all over the floor and said in a high pitched and fast voice 'manaja catchitory!' or something to that effect and everyone laughed, so now its something we say a lot. Sorry for the confusion! :wink:

:lol:

eheu in latin
i dont know why- but that word just makes me laugh
(pron. eh-who. means 'woe is me')

犬 は 私 の 宿題 を 食べました

inu wa watshi no shukudai o tabemashita

The dog ate my homework

I use the phrases JAH! Bless up! and IRIE! a lot

and

la pura vida

ciao cara

/me segnet die jubelnde menge (/me blesses the cheering crowd)

du hast wohl nen knall (apparently you got a bang = apparently you´re round the bend)

bau massiv - massiv bau (roll a massive - massive roll)

my newest fav (reserved for best friends) is:

mein lieber asterix, gehen wir hinkelsteine sammeln
(my dear asterix, lets go collect menhirs)

and: mein lieber asterix, gehen wir wildschweine jagen (lets go hunt wild boars)

Last edited:
I thought of another, instead of swearing, my mom will yell "Skiet in de broek!" which translates from the family Dutch to "shit in the pants!"

Jack In The Box said:
love the Spanish exposed here :lol:

mine could be:

realmente dudo que entiendan lo que estoy diciendo, así que puedo decir cualquier cosa, incluso insultarlos y ustedes no se darán cuenta :shifty:

Aye, pero yo tengo una clase de español, pues yo puedo entender(más o menos) que usted está hablando sobre. No sé mucho excepto por volcabulario y gramatica, pero es bastante que necesito saber para ahora. :D

One of my inside jokes with my friends is:
Yo tengo pantalones locos. Y un perro morado vive en los pantalones locos.

We're crazy :)

:) Kinda a funny story - ok so everyone in my extended family back a gazillion generations is Dutch so everyone besides my generation speaks with accents, the older the person, the heavier the accent. One time some relatives of mine were playing Scatagories and for one of the topics, everyone had names of inventors, but when Uncle Jan (John) read his list, he had something like "sledding". So everyone was like "Uncle Jan, sledding is not an inventor!" and he goes, in a VERY heavy accent, "I said de tahpeec vahs In Vinter" (In Winter, not Inventor) :lol:

Now whenever someone says something in too heavy of an accent to understand, we all start yelling "IN VINTER IN VINTER!"

Things I learn from listening to French songs:

Je ne dors plus
Je te desire
Prends moi
Je suis a toi

Je veux aller au bout de me fantasmes
Je sais que c'est interdit
Je suis folle
Je m'abandonne

Translation:

I can't sleep anymore
I desire you
Take me
I'm yours

I want to go to the end of my fantasies
I know it is forbidden
I am crazy
I am letting myself go

One of these days I'm gonna get myself in trouble by inadvertantly singing that in the presence of a French-speaking person.
I also say "oy vey" and "c'est la vie" a lot. And half of the time, I replace yes with "oui" or "si" (or more rarely, "da") and I repace and with "y" (usually accidentally).

GibsonGirl said:
Gaan kak, jou Pommie doos!

Maybe I shouldn't translate. :wink: We're such a rude bunch, us Boers.

:lol:
i love "gaan kak in die mielieveld"

Last edited:
timothius said:

:drool:

One complaint, not enough comments re: Aussie.

My favourites (all naturally spelt appaulingly):

Moi Fun Far Far Fun Moi.
Lekker in any context.
Moffie (or Koffie Moffie)
Fusset!
Vol Kak,
Bafana Bafana
Yebo Goho
Bliksem. :drool:
and many more.

Throw another insult out there massie.

can i add poephol to that?! its one of my favs :D

and i think its yebo gogo... from the vodaphone ads many years back
and by fusset do you mean Voetsek? also a great one

sorry to correct :reject:

Last edited:
u2shamrock said:

Aye, pero yo tengo una clase de español, pues yo puedo entender(más o menos) que usted está hablando sobre. No sé mucho excepto por volcabulario y gramatica, pero es bastante que necesito saber para ahora. :D

d'oh... people here actually can understand my language

One of my inside jokes with my friends is:
Yo tengo pantalones locos. Y un perro morado vive en los pantalones locos.

We're crazy :)

:lmao:

I want a purple dog

Hmm...

Ta gueule connard!
Tabernac!
:shifty:

Das ist nicht so gut.
Arbeit macht frei.
Gott im Himmel.

Ohhhh, and Yiddish: Schtupp. As in 'I was busy last night.' / 'Oh yeah? Doing what?' / 'Schtupping' / 'Haha!' / 'Yeah, call me Baron Von Schtupp.'

I do know where it comes from.

Yet I can't help bringing it up when people bitch about how much work they have to do, mostly because they're burdened by work of their own free will and not because they're being horribly oppressed (as in the case of the phrase of the death camps which echo an older materialistic philosophy).

The materialistic tradition is hard to separate from some pretty terrible things sometimes, though. Hegel's theories about labour, recognition, and conciousness (to grossly oversimplify, because the man loved to write at length) suggested that manual labour (craftsmanship, things done by hand, not the operation of machines which separates man from labour) was the purest and most freeing activity of man because it forces others to recognize him and provide him esteem for his labours and in the objects of his labour sets him aside from appropriation into a dull, alienated mass. It's not hard to see where someone could manipulate this into 'slavery = freedom'.

People tend to shut up when they're forced to perspective and actually realize that they're being melodramatic wankers complaining about a life that is pretty damn good to them. This, I feel, is especially true at university, where even in the face of burdensome debts, people are still persuing an education for the sake of the education itself. Who has that kind of luxury? Not very many people. And they want to bitch at me about how they're slaves to their schedules? Noone's making them do anything in their lives, they have nearly limitless choice, and they complain about how tough their poor little life is. Obviously, I tend to avoid using the phrase flippantly because of its Third Reich implications, but when I hear incredibly privileged people complain I sometimes can't help myself. That people in our society can fancy themselves as slaves to anything boggles my mind completely.

I love the phrase for how uncomfortable it makes people, and for the utility it can hold in terms of making those uncomfortable people self-concious (and, hopefully, through this self-conciousness, change them).

I definitely don't love the phrase for the attrocities that have been committed within its figurative walls, however.

I wish I remembered my Polish. I can only spell it out phonetically, but my favorite Polish phrase sounds like "hollera yassna noh!" (rolled r). As far as I can tell it roughly translates to "Godammit!" - judging by when and how my mom uses it. :D

Having just returned from 3 amazing months in Kenya I learned a bit of Kiswahili - not as much as I wanted :reject:, but...

Favourite phrase - in Kisawhili - is, no doubt:

Sawa sawa!

It means "Ok, ok" - it became such a fav that I even used it when talking Danish to a friend of mine from Denmark who was also living in Kenya! :D

Merc said:

Favourite phrase - in Kisawhili - is, no doubt:

Sawa sawa!

It means "Ok, ok" - it became such a fav that I even used it when talking Danish to a friend of mine from Denmark who was also living in Kenya! :D

Kiswahili is fun to learn b/c it's so easy to read and pronounce. I also like "sasa" cus it's fun to say.

Back
Top Bottom