Favorite figure skaters--?? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2003, 12:46 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:24 AM
Favorite figure skaters--??

Does anyone else like figure skating? I think it's beautiful. Who's your favorite skater? Gosh, that's tough! I like Michelle Kwan, Irina Slutskaya, Sarah Hughes, Sasha Cohen, Denkova and Stavyiksi, Alexei Yagudin, and a whole slew of others I won't mention right now. Maybe the next note.

Old 02-22-2003, 01:25 PM   #2
Ana
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Another Time, Another Place, in The Electric Co. ; behind the Shadows and Tall Trees
Local Time: 08:24 PM

I saw Slutskaya weeks ago on tv and she's definitely good

Old 02-22-2003, 01:37 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Ana
I saw Slutskaya weeks ago on tv and she's definitely good
Irina is the only lady skater to ever land a triple-lutz triple-loop jump combo. She did it at the 2001 Grand Prix Final to win. That's incredibly difficult. In fact, I'm not sure a man has ever landed that thing either.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:44 PM   #4
MacPhisto's serving wench

Local Time: 10:24 PM
..don't even get me started Sula, are you out there??
Old 02-22-2003, 03:13 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

my favorite ice/figure(?) skater has been and will always be Scott Hamiliton. He was awesome in his days
Old 02-22-2003, 03:19 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by icelle
my favorite ice/figure(?) skater has been and will always be Scott Hamiliton. He was awesome in his days

OMG, I love Scott. What a fantastic entertainer on the ice he was. There's no skater quite like him. Talk about personality!! Charisma! Talent! He had it all.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:24 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

DAMN! I forgot to mention Torvill and Dean! My God, those guys were total *geniuses*. "Bolero" is still the most amazing thing I've ever seen on ice. I know some people don't like ice dancing because the skaters don't do jumps. Trust me, some of those dance moves are unbelievably difficult, requiring great balance, strength, and control. They require just as much skating skill as jumps do. Jumps are cool but they're not all skating is about IMO.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:21 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

here I am.

Ummm, off the top of my head, I would say Victor Petrenko, Kristi Yamaguchi (duh), Mishketonek and Dimitiev, Elvis Stojko, Brian Orser, Kurt Browning (when he could stay on his feet...aka any competition except the Olympics), Michelle Kwan, and you gotta love him...Paul Wylie.

more when I think of them.

Old 02-22-2003, 05:28 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
Love figure skating! Michelle Kwan is my favorite female skater...she makes it look so easy and beautiful. I love Todd Eldridge. When Alexi Yagudin first came onto the scene I didnt really care to much for him but he has grown on me. Scott Hamilton...how could you not love the man! I miss Paul Wylie. His JFK program is one of my all time favorites.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:45 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Ooh, another one of my faves--Paul Wylie. The guy was a brilliant stylist. His programs were always dramatic and very intense. The best program I ever saw him do was "Carmina Burana". Wow! I miss him too. Kurt Browning, too, when he wasn't in the Olympics. I loved "Casablanca". He even had a dramatic version of "Casablanca" on a TV special, with him as the detective and Kristi Yamaguchi and Josee Chuinard as the pretty girls and someone else (I forget who) as the villain. I liked Elvis, too. He had so much originality and I think he was undermarked because his programs were based on martial arts and not ballet. He should won the gold in Norway, not the silver. The judges always wanted ballet. Ballet is cool but I get tired of everyone doing it. Mishketunik and Dmitriev got ripped off in Norway--should have won the gold, not the silver. Oh well. The judges are human.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:55 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
I loved Casablanca. I enjoy watching the men the most because it seems like they more varied styles than the women. In pairs I loved Gordeeva and Grinkov and of course Torvill and Deam in dance. I liked Josee Choinard. I would have loved to seen her do better in competition. I've always kind of wondered how things would have turned out in Norway when she had to skater earlier due to the Tonya Harding skate lace thing. For some reason I dont care to much for Plushenko.

I'm taking my Mom to Stars on Ice in a couple of weeks...kind of getting excited now! I usually dont until the week before.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:37 PM   #12
War Child

Other people that like the event of figure skating and those people who are so great at it.

I like all of those people that you mentioned verte76 but my all time favs are Brian Boitano and Katerina Witt.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:53 PM   #13
MacPhisto's serving wench

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I liked Elvis, too. He had so much originality and I think he was undermarked because his programs were based on martial arts and not ballet. He should won the gold in Norway, not the silver. The judges always wanted ballet. Ballet is cool but I get tired of everyone doing it. Mishketunik and Dmitriev got ripped off in Norway--should have won the gold, not the silver. Oh well. The judges are human.
Definetely. I think the judges felt guilty because Gordeeva and Grinkov wee older, but I felt that Mishkoutnek and Dimitriev skated much better.
..and Elvis was INCREDIBLY ripped off....Alexei Urmanov? Come on! Aggh! I can't even get started!

...other favouites: Kurt Browning (I ADORED his Casablanca. I have it on tape somewhere), Brasseur and Eisler, Bourne and Kraatz, Anissina and Peizeralt (sometimes. They can be a bit over the top), Kristi Yamaguchi, Michelle Kwan..

Timothy Goebel is up and coming...um, Zimmerman and Ina..Sasha Cohen.

I admit it. I once had a HUGE crush on..Phillipe Candeloro!

I'm sure there's more that I'll come back to list later...
Old 02-22-2003, 08:55 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

I totally forgot about Alexei Urmanov!
Old 02-22-2003, 09:44 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, the Stojko/ Urmanov thing was a fiasco. Urmanov blew a triple flip jump, but because he had a classical, balletic style, he won the gold. Elvis singled his first triple Axel, but then threw in a triple Axel/ triple toe loop combo instead of his planned quad. Wow, do you know how tough it is to change your program while you're doing it under Olympic pressure? It's amazing that he could do it. He should have gotten the gold for that. He didn't. They gave Gordeeva and Grinkov the gold for superior technical skills, but I thought they were sort of cold and mechanical and M&D were on fire. I didn't agree with that but that's skating.