Favorite figure skaters--?? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2003, 09:58 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
Local Time: 10:47 PM
I have to agree that M&D were better that G&G that year. I never did like Urmanov. Always thought he was a little dull.

Old 02-22-2003, 10:14 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Re: Favorite figure skaters--??

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Does anyone else like figure skating? I think it's beautiful. Who's your favorite skater? Gosh, that's tough! I like Michelle Kwan, Irina Slutskaya, Sarah Hughes, Sasha Cohen, Denkova and Stavyiksi, Alexei Yagudin, and a whole slew of others I won't mention right now. Maybe the next note.
i like Michelle, Irina and Sasha

Old 02-22-2003, 10:45 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kariann
I have to agree that M&D were better that G&G that year. I never did like Urmanov. Always thought he was a little dull.
So did I. I thought he was really flat in the presentation department and his presentation scores were a bad joke. The judges botched that one big time.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:54 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing

Bourne and Kraatz, Anissina and Peizeralt (sometimes. They can be a bit over the top),

Cool! Someone else who likes ice dance! Yeah, sometimes Marina and Gwendal overdid the theatrics. But I really liked them. They were always original and different. Bourne and Kraatz are great, too. I can't wait to see their new programs. They recently got a whole slew of perfect presentation scores from international judges at the Four Continents competition (which wasn't shown in my neck of the woods dammit) Worlds should be interesting. I'm going to be so nervous.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:56 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Searching for world peace an end to hunger and jeans that make my butt look extraordinary!
What about Tara Lipinski? She's another one that hasnt been one of my personal favorites. I think she's a good skater but there isnt anything to really wow me.
Old 02-23-2003, 02:58 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Kariann
What about Tara Lipinski? She's another one that hasnt been one of my personal favorites. I think she's a good skater but there isnt anything to really wow me.

Tara is a good technical skater but her presentation has always been weak, IMO. She's improved her performing ability since turning professional, however. Now she's sidelined with that bad hip. Bummer.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:00 PM   #22
War Child

i dont watch much figure skating now...but when i was younger I was obsessed with Kristi Yamaguchi. I loved her. I remember staying up late to watch her win her gold medal at the olympics! She was my favorite person in the world! I still like her alot-wish she hadn't retired
Old 02-23-2003, 07:40 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Me.

Just kidding!!! Sorry!

Kristi Yamaguch is my all-time favorite. She was the reason I started taking skating lessons.
Scott Hamilton is just awesome. Words cannot describe what he's done for skating and charities and everything else.
...I used to watch Torvill and Dean's Bolero literally three times a day...I knew every step...They got totally ripped off in '94.
Right now I love Michelle and Sarah. I didn't really care for Irina until Michelle hugged her at Worlds last year. For some reason that turned me over.
Tara never really did it for me. She won because Michelle flipped out. Really, so did Sarah, but at least she exuded grace and beauty.
I'll always miss G&G. That's the saddest thing ever.
I LOVE SKATING! I can't wait for Worlds!!!
Old 02-23-2003, 09:06 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 08:47 PM
Michelle Kwan is great!!

I used to love watching Oksana Baiul...not a great "technical" skater but she was wonderful artistic wise! Then she had all these personal problems!
Old 02-24-2003, 12:36 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Schmeg-

Totally agree with you about Torvill and Dean being ripped off in 94. I loved that program. Bolero is one of the true classics.

I've never been all that impressed with Tara at all. She's good but not what I consider great. I have grown to like Irina more than I used to but doubt she will ever be a favorite. When I saw her skate here at the Hallmark Championship is when I started to like her more.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:19 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

hehe, i love chatting with other skating nerds.

urmanov totally didn't deserve the gold in Norway, but then again, I don't think there was a single gold medalist in Lillehammer (skating-wise) that did. G&G, while very good, did not even begin to match M&D. Urmanov over Elvis was a total joke and Oksana Baiul....oh I better not even get started on that little piece of fluff. Suffice it to say, the "look at the poor waif who makes her own costumes" angle works for television but it wore thin imo. Two-footed jumps anyone? And Torvil and Dean were undeniably screwed over. So it was a very bad Olympics in my view.

Tara Lipinski is another one of my dislikes. lol. Then again, that may be because she seems to like herself so much, she wouldn't even need fans.

You know who I want to keep an eye on for improvement? That Chinese pair that got bronze. Talk about raw power! If they can get themselves to a good choreographer and learn how to spin...they could be quite something.

Old 02-24-2003, 11:46 AM   #27
Blue Crack Distributor

Men: Scott Hamiliton
Women: Michelle Kwan
Pairs: Gordeeva & Grinkov
Ice: Torvill & Dean
Old 02-24-2003, 12:26 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, I love the Chinese pair bronze medalists! They have tricky names, don't they?? But they sure are fun to watch, and maybe someday they'll land that quad throw! I hope they win another Worlds, and then......maybe a gold in 2006! They'll have to improve their spins if they want to beat some of the other skaters. But they're great!
Old 02-24-2003, 12:30 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I agree, the judging in Lillehammer stank. Torvill and Dean got ripped off. It was probably re-instatement politics. Some of the people in the ISU were really against the professionals coming back and took it out in the scores. Stupid. Don't get me started on ice dance politics.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:04 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

I think the Chinease pairs are worth keeping an eye on. The bronze medalists are good and there is another pair that seem to be pretty good as well...cant remember their names but I was pretty impressed with them when I saw them skate here a couple months ago.