Favorite Classiscal Artist and Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gustav Holst and Vaughn Williams are my favorites. I also love Stravinsky and Faure. In the end, Holst is my favorite.

As for musical peices, I think The Planets are the greatest collection of music in history. Jupiter specifically is the best classical peice and maybe the best musical work that I've ever heard. I also love The Cloud Messenger by Holst, The London and Sea Symphony by Vaughn Williams, The Firebird and Turandot.

Please let this become a wild classical music thread. :pray:

My all-time favorite is probably Barber's Adagio For Strings, which is just beautiful and heart-wrenching. (Although it's hard to hear it without being reminded of Platoon or The Elephant Man.)

Other favorites are:

Debussy - Clair de Lune (piano or orchestral version)
Mozart - Requiem
Faure - Requiem
Rutter - Requiem (Hey, I love a good Requiem! :wink: )

And there's an Elgar cello concerto that I can't name by number or key or anything, but I have a CD with Jacqueline du Pre playing it, and it's so, so wonderful.

The OP kind of makes me feel like Schroeder from Peanuts after an encounter with Lucy...but no matter. :wink:

I'm a fan of most of the classical epochs, so it's hard for me to choose a favourite composer. At the moment, it's Gustav Mahler. I'm usually more of a Beethoven person, but I've been a bit obsessed with Mahler's 5th lately. It's also hard for me to choose my favourite piece...right now, it's the Lacrimosa. I'm not too wild about old Wolfgang, but the Lacrimosa is nothing short of genius. It's the kind of thing you wish you could have composed yourself.

By the way, Screwtape, we were having a good classical discussion here: http://forum.interference.com/t175807.html

Speaking of that thread, I didn't notice that Diemen had replied! Gives me an excuse to bump it up again... :drool:

corianderstem said:
My all-time favorite is probably Barber's Adagio For Strings, which is just beautiful and heart-wrenching. (Although it's hard to hear it without being reminded of Platoon or The Elephant Man.)

Other favorites are:

Debussy - Clair de Lune (piano or orchestral version)
Mozart - Requiem
Faure - Requiem
Rutter - Requiem (Hey, I love a good Requiem! :wink: )

And there's an Elgar cello concerto that I can't name by number or key or anything, but I have a CD with Jacqueline du Pre playing it, and it's so, so wonderful.

You're obsessed with requiems. Talk about morbid! :wink:

And speaking of cello concertos, Shostakovich's are lovely.

I don't know the names of anything but I like most classical music. :reject: There is a beautiful score played during the movie Seven when Morgan Freeman is in the library researching info and the guards are playing cards above him.

Someone please enlighten me. :wink:

GibsonGirl said:
The OP kind of makes me feel like Schroeder from Peanuts after an encounter with Lucy...but no matter. :wink:

I'm a fan of most of the classical epochs, so it's hard for me to choose a favourite composer. At the moment, it's Gustav Mahler. I'm usually more of a Beethoven person, but I've been a bit obsessed with Mahler's 5th lately. It's also hard for me to choose my favourite piece...right now, it's the Lacrimosa. I'm not too wild about old Wolfgang, but the Lacrimosa is nothing short of genius. It's the kind of thing you wish you could have composed yourself.

By the way, Screwtape, we were having a good classical discussion here: http://forum.interference.com/t175807.html

Speaking of that thread, I didn't notice that Diemen had replied! Gives me an excuse to bump it up again... :drool:

The Lacrimosa is so ahead of it's time and to be honest I'm not sure were at that time yet. You're completely right about it being genius. I think most composers would just build and build or turn it into a waltz but the way Mozart makes the peice rise and fall is pure genius. Movie composers like John Williams and Alan Silvestri have attempted to create something like it but have never been able to match it.

Thanks for showing me that thread. I'm not really a Beethoven fan so I completely missed that one.

trevster2k said:
I don't know the names of anything but I like most classical music. :reject: There is a beautiful score played during the movie Seven when Morgan Freeman is in the library researching info and the guards are playing cards above him.

Someone please enlighten me. :wink:

That is Air from Suite No.3 in D by JS Bach and yes, it is quite lovely...

Bach is one of my favourite composers.

Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring = :drool:

GibsonGirl said:
You're obsessed with requiems. Talk about morbid!

It's because I love to sing! I love singing those great ol' masterworks.

Most of the classical music I hear these days tends to be sacred vocal music.

Ooh, another really great one along those lines:

Franz (I think it's Franz) Biebl - Ave Maria, sung by Chanticleer. Seriously one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard, and these mens' voices are perfection.

elevated_u2_fan said:

That is Air from Suite No.3 in D by JS Bach and yes, it is quite lovely...

Bach is one of my favourite composers.

Damn it, you got there before me! :wink: That was one of my favourite uses of classical music in a movie. Second only to the Goldberg Variations in The Silence Of The Lambs.

Screwtape2 said:

The Lacrimosa is so ahead of it's time and to be honest I'm not sure were at that time yet. You're completely right about it being genius. I think most composers would just build and build or turn it into a waltz but the way Mozart makes the peice rise and fall is pure genius. Movie composers like John Williams and Alan Silvestri have attempted to create something like it but have never been able to match it.

Agreed. There's something eternal about the Lacrimosa. The whole Requiem is special, of course, but people will still be falling in love with that particular piece hundreds and thousands of years from now. The amount of emotion packed into those few minutes cannot be found in anything else. This is very cliched, but I want it played at my funeral when I die.

Last edited:
I go for the American stuff, I have to say.

Dvorák's symphony no. 9 in E minor ("From the New World") (op. 95), for one, as well as anything Aaron Copland.

I also go for the dark stuff like Mahler's Symphony No. 5 in C sharp minor.

I guess Vivaldi is alright if I'm having a wine and cheese party with friends, but otherwise I think it's a bit fluffy. Can't go wrong with Shubert, though. Or sherbet, for that matter.

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

Agreed. There's something eternal about the Lacrimosa. The whole Requiem is special, of course, but people will still be falling in love with that particular piece hundreds and thousands of years from now. The amount of emotion packed into those few minutes cannot be found in anything else. This is very cliched, but I want it played at my funeral when I die.

I think the Lacrimosa, Faure's Pavane and Holst's Jupiter are the only classical peices that have ever made me come close to tears. Personally, I'd want that trio to be played at my funeral. This has become a very morbid thread. :shifty:

Canadiens1160 said:
Dvorák's symphony no. 9 in E minor ("From the New World") (op. 95),

Love that one!

BUM buh buh buuum, BUM buh buh buuum (ba bum! ba bum! ba bum!)

I think the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony is one of the greatest works of orchestral music. Such a simple structure and motif, but so, so beautiful.

My favorite choral work is probably Brahms' German Requiem (if you haven't heard it, I highly recommend it, cori!). In college I was lucky enough to be in the choir for a performance of it. Such a beautiful work. All these years later I still remember the lyrics whenever I listen to it (which is surprising considering it's in German! :D).

Back
Top Bottom