favorite classic pieces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gickies Gageeze

Purgatory
im a bit of a beethoven fan...i remember when his first single came out like it was yesterday, broke numerous billboard records for airplay and what not.

unfortunately aside from beethoven and bach, i know very little.

which are some of your favorite classical pieces?

fur elise - beethoven
piano sonata no. 8 in C minor or simply "pathetique" - beethoven
piano sonata #14 "moonlight" - beethoven
Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring - bach
Piano and Orchestra Concerto No. 5 in E flat "emperor" - beethoven
symphony #6 in F "pastoral" - beethoven

Stairway to Heaven. :p

Seriously, I don't know any, but I'd love recommendations. I'm currently trying to expand my musical palette so I'll be watching this thread closely and opening up my download folder.

honestly the lack of response to this thread devestates me. surely not all of you deprive yourself of the best music ever created?

ah, but who does?

radio two in canada is quite nice. surely you have a classic station or two in australia? or is it all about those who swing both ways, acdc's? :sexywink:

I don't own much, either, but I took a music course last year that sort of sparked my interest. Some of my favorite pieces (most of these are actually from the course I took):

Bach- Air (this is one of my favorite pieces of music ever, btw)
Bach- Brandenburg Concerto
Corelli- Sonata da Chiesa in F
Vivaldi- Violin Concerto in G
Beethoven- Symphony No. 5 (sort of an obvious one, but I like it)
Mozart- Symphony No. 40 in G Minor
Chaikovsky- Overture from Romeo and Juliet
Debussy- Clouds :heart:

I also really like Chopin, especially his Nocturnes. And Copland's Appalacian Spring is gorgeous, although that's getting pretty modern. There's also some opera that I like, although I really only know a few works. But Don Giovanni is awesome. I'll just stop rambling now...

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:
I don't own much, either, but I took a music course last year that sort of sparked my interest. Some of my favorite pieces (most of these are actually from the course I took):

Bach- Air (this is one of my favorite pieces of music ever, btw)
Bach- Brandenburg Concerto
Corelli- Sonata da Chiesa in F
Vivaldi- Violin Concerto in G
Beethoven- Symphony No. 5 (sort of an obvious one, but I like it)
Mozart- Symphony No. 40 in G Minor
Chaikovsky- Overture from Romeo and Juliet
Debussy- Clouds :heart:

I also really like Chopin, especially his Nocturnes. And Copland's Appalacian Spring is gorgeous, although that's getting pretty modern. There's also some opera that I like, although I really only know a few works. But Don Giovanni is awesome. I'll just stop rambling now...

:up: awesome

I :heart: Chopin. I :heart: playing Chopin. Chopin was a god.

Favourites:

Impromptu #4 in C sharp minor (Fanataisie Impromptu)

and basically anything he did. I adore his Nocturnes and even his Preludes (although they are on the dark side).

I have always loved Mozarts "Fur Elise" and is probably my favourite piece to play.

:sigh: I sure wish I had a piano.

my mom has a piano but i dont think its ever been tuned.

its like a detuned radio, it buzzes like a fridge, if wanderer, elvis presley or any other radiohead fan knows what i mean... :sexywink:

:heart: F?r Elise :heart:
Others off the top of my head (in addition to those already mentioned :up: ):
  • Haydn's Symphony 94 in G Major
  • Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik
  • Bach's Prelude and Fuge in C Minor
  • Vivaldi's Four Seasons
  • Debussy's Claire De Lune

Gickies Gageeze said:
fur elise - beethoven

Please tell me that was a joke. :mad: Sorry, I just really can't stand that piece. maybe cause I've heard it so many damn times...

I listen to a lot of classical. I'd say I prefer romantic and post-romantic overall, though there are definite exceptions.

I also love Chopin (I think it's a requirement if you're of Polish heritage), and he's definitely one of my favorites to play. You should check out his Nocturnes, Polonaises, Preludes, Waltzes, Mazurkas, Ballades, Berceuse, barcarolle, as well as his 2 piano concerti. Ah Hell, check out everything! :D Maybe my favorite single piece is the Andante Spianato and Grande Polonaise. I'm going to learn that one of these days...

Beethoven - "appassionata" piano sonata, pastorale, waldstein, tempest, pathetique sonata, Symphony #3, 5, 7, 9, String Quartets Op. 127 and 131, um....and on and on...

Bach - Chaconne in D minor, Italian Concerto, Suites of solo cello, Goldberg Variations

Brahms - Piano Concerto #1 and #2, German Requiem, Rhapsodies, Variation on a theme of Haydn

Mozart - Requiem

Debussy - Preludes, l'Isle Joyeuse, Claire de Lune, La Mer, Deux Arabesques

Grieg - Piano Concerto #1, Piano Sonata in E minor

Liszt - Transcendental Etudes (La campanella, Harmonies du Soir, feux follets, un sospiro), Six Consolations, Vallee d'Obermann, Sonata in B minor, Mephisto Waltz, Hungarian Rhapsodies

Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto #2 and #3, Etudes and Preludes, Moments Musicaux, Melodie, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini

Mahler - Symphony No. 5

Schumann - Traumerei, Piano Concerto #1, Papillons, Kreisleriana, Carnaval

Tchaikowsky - Piano Concerto #1

Barber - Adagio for Strings (one of the most moving pieces of classical music ever written, imho)

Faur? - Pavane

Mussorgsky - Pictures At An Exhibition, Night On Bald Mountain

Ravel - Gaspard de la Nuit, Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunt?

Copland - Fanfare for the Common Man

Um....I'll add more on as I can think of them...

Last edited:
Fine choices, Diemen :up:

I love Beethoven too. Beethovens symphonies! And his life...

I love him more than Mozart. I like some Mozart, but I think most of his operas are boring. The Requiem is very special though. And he wrote many pieces I like, too.

I?ll add some by:

Christoph Willibald Gluck - Orfeo ed Euridice

Georg Friedrich H?ndel - The Music of the Royal Fireworks, Water Music, Messiah

Joseph Haydn - The Creation, and especially for Gickies Gageeze: Symphony No. 82, "The Bear"

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Sonatas for Piano and Violin KV 379 (373a), KV 454

Franz Schubert - Symphony Nr. 7 (b flat) D 759

Bedrich Smetana - Ma Vl?st

Igor Strawinsky - Le Sacre du Printemps

Peter Ilyich Tchaikowsky - Swan Lake

Johann Strauss - The Blue Danube

Sergey Prokofiev- Romeo and Juliet (ballet)

Claude Debussy - La Mer

Richard Wagner - Lohengrin, Tristan and Isolde, Parsifal

Johannes Brahms - Requiem

Re: Re: favorite classic pieces

Diemen said:

Please tell me that was a joke. :mad: Sorry, I just really can't stand that piece. maybe cause I've heard it so many damn times...

no way! so what are you saying, beethoven is being played like the excessive pop-star that receives non-stop play on top-40 radio??

:wink:

i cant believe anyone would hate it, but oh well.

Schubert: Impromptus.

Better pick than "F?r Elise".

I played both, though ;) a long, long time ago...

I like so many that I don't even know the names of :eek:

Four Seasons
Pachebel's Canon
Ravel-Bolero :wink:

And especially ANY classical piece played by Yo Yo Ma-one of my favorites is Bach, cello suite # 1. I saw him at the symphony last week, and got to meet him briefly at a reception afterwards. What a sweet, humble, down to earth man. Some of those classical musicians can be a bit snooty ;)

The sound he makes w/ that cello just floors me, it's so gorgeous

Re: Re: Re: favorite classic pieces

Gickies Gageeze said:

no way! so what are you saying, beethoven is being played like the excessive pop-star that receives non-stop play on top-40 radio??

:wink:

i cant believe anyone would hate it, but oh well.

Maybe it's because I'm a pianist and I've heard way too many students play it.

I can't believe I forgot the Schubert Impromptus - good catch, hiphop. Also, Stravinsky's Rite of Spring is excellent, as is Petrouchka.

Back
Top Bottom