Favorite box sets - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 01:24 AM
Great Thread.

i love that Ride box set. the live set is amazing. simply amazing. "Message in a Box" by the Police is all you need from them. it's perfect. same goes for "Songs of Freedom" by marley. the first 2 discs have become my favorites. there's some fun, sexy shit on those. Glad that 'Buffalo Soldier' isn't on it. you're right, 'Legend' makes a nice complement to the whole thing. I need to find my copy....

of those that i own not already mentioned, these are my tops....

1. Hitsville USA - Motown Singles 1959-1971: probably the best box set ever. this dwarfs it's companion, which picked up the motown story in 1972 and follows it through 1992 (ugghhh). THIS installment features all the basicsfrom the temptations (my girl,etc), the 4 tops, Marvin gaye, the supremes, the jackson 5, smokey robinson and the miracles, Stevie Wonder. simply put, it's essential. a thorough re-introduction to the tunes you already know and love. it flows brilliantly. all you need is some beer and you've got a party

2. The Brit Box (Rhino Records) - this catalogs the british pop scene from 1986 or so through the end of brit pop (1996ish). Begins with the smiths and stone roses, leads us through a nice snapshot of shoegaze, takes us to the blissful, bitter britpop feuds, and steers us home with the complicated wave of post britpop gems. i think i bought it for the bands i already knew,but fell in love with it for the gems i hadn't heard since 120 minutes back in 1991/1992, and for the songs i'd never heard before. the list of quality singles here is simply too long to even get started. for fans of guitar based british pop, this is the ultimate mix. buy some different beer and have another party.

3. Jellyfish - Fanclub: it seems funny that a band with only 2 albums would have a box set produced. it's a testament to their ravenous fans. Not Lame records collected demos of ALL their album songs (which are pretty fucking insane), all their b-sides and collected them on 2 discs. then they collected various live performances from their 2 tours and filled out 2 more discs. not the place to start with jellyfish. the definitive place to finish. a MUST for fans. unfortunately, it's out of print and REALLY tough to track down..

4. Otis Redding - OTIS!: 4 discs of Otis, presented in chronological order. the last disc is an "Ultimate Otis Concert" disc. there's really nothing else to say....

Old 04-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #17
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dudeman

i love that Ride box set. the live set is amazing. simply amazing.
Agreed, it's definitely the best of the discs.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:24 PM
Stevie Nicks' "Enchanted" was the first box set I bought (a total bargain because it was used and may have never even been played). It's gorgeous and I love all the pictures and notes inside.

I bought my mom Rod Stewart's "Storyteller" when it came out and think it's so great. I also bought my mom Donovan's "Troubador" one Christmas and love borrowing it because it reminds me of being a little kid and listening to the records my parents would play.

I bought INXS "Shine Like It Does" when it first came out and have listened to it a few thousand times I'm sure. Great tracklist and notes.

I so want The Beatle's Capitol boxed sets but whenever I see them, I'm broke.

If I had spare money to just collect whatever wonderful things caught my eye, I'd definitely pick this up:

Description from eil: U2 The Singles Collection 1981-89 (Very rare 1992 Austrian Island label limited edition 44-track 12-CD single box set, most of which are picture CDs, all with their original picture sleeves, presented in a stunning black flip-top box with silvertitle text on lid complete with numbered insert. The box is unusually in superb condition and would be a great addition to any collection!).

Tracklisting:
1. Fire
2. J Swallow
3. 11 O' Clock Tick Tock
4. The Ocean
5. New Years Day - Long Version
6. Treasure
7. I Threw A Brick Through A Window
8. A Day Without Me
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. New Years Day - US Remix
11. Two Hearts Beat As One - US Remix
12. Pride
13. Boomerang
14. Boomerang 2
15. 4th Of July
16. The Three Sunrises
17. The Unforgettable Fire
18. A Sort Of Homecoming
19. Love Comes Tumbling
20. Bass Trap
21. With Or Without You
22. Luminous Times
23. Walk To The Water
24. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
25. Spanish Eyes
26. Deep In The Heart
27. Where The Streets Have No Name
28. Race Against Time
29. Silver And Gold
30. Sweetest Thing
31. Desire
32. Hallelujah Here She Comes
33. Desire - Hollywood Remix
34. Angel Of Harlem
35. A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
36. Love Rescue Me
37. All I Want Is You
38. Unchained Melody
39. Everlasting Love
40. All I Want Is You
41. When Love Comes to Town
42. Dancing Barefoot
43. When Love Comes To Town - Live
44. God Part 2

The group also released limited boxed sets for the two greatest hits packages with a similar set up. Beautiful.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
Of my collection, these are the favorite box sets:

Does that one have tracks that aren't on the deluxe editions' second discs? I'm in the process of getting all of those and I don't want to spend too much cash on songs I already have.

Also, the Nick Cave box is a classic. The third disc is better than most artists' regular album releases.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #20
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth

Does that one have tracks that aren't on the deluxe editions' second discs? I'm in the process of getting all of those and I don't want to spend too much cash on songs I already have.

It does. It's essentially all of the official b-sides. There's a ton of music on it, and a lot of it is absolutely fantastic. There's a tracklist for all 4 discs here:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...inthedots.html
Old 04-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I only own a few:

Bruce Springsteen Live 1975-85 - The most memorable tracks for me are Fire, Because the Night, Cadillac Ranch, Johnny 99 (such a powerful version) and War. I kind of wish it wasn't quite so heavy on the BITUSA stuff (even though I love that album, warts and all) and had more earlier classics like She's the One (which kicks so much ass live).

The Legendary Roy Orbison - I swear there's about a zillion Roy Orbison box sets out there. I'm sure this isn't the best one out there, but I got it cheap. It's 4-dics and an awesome booklet that's like a mini-biography. No songs from Mystery Girl, but all the other big hits are on it as well as some of my personal favorites that aren't as well-known (Shahdaroba, Belinda, Wild Hearts).

Simon and Garfunkel Collected Works - All their studio albums on 3 discs. All I had before this was the Concert in Central Park, so it was a great buy!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I have to admit it, I have the Stevie Nicks boxset, too. It may have been my second or so, after the Zeppelin one. It's better than I want to admit.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:55 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

V/A - Phil Spector: Back To Mono
Somehow forgot that one. Definitely worth the money. 110%.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:55 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

Is $19.98 right now on Amazon! Regular list price $74.98.

. . .
Old 04-15-2008, 09:13 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:24 AM
I like the new Floyd boxset "Oh, By The Way" although it could've had the 3 offical live releases included. The Born To Run boxset release was good too.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith2904

The group also released limited boxed sets for the two greatest hits packages with a similar set up. Beautiful.
I have them...
Old 04-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by FitzChivalry

. . .
I got it for cheaper than that (including P&P to Ireland) on the American ebay. Brand new and sealed. It was something like £60 here which is $120. eBay music bargains.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by FitzChivalry

. . .
No Buy it!!! Now!
Old 04-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

As the set has been mentioned a couple of times already, let me write a recommendation for the Phil Spector boxset.

A boxset dedicated to a single artist and one who became more famous than the artists that appeared on his singles. If you try and not think about what's currently going on in his life, you have to recall that Phil Spector was an amazing producer. His Wall Of Sound signature has been copied often, but never equalled. This boxset has 60 of the singles he (mostly) produced. And what hits they were! Be My Baby, Unchained Melody, You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin', River Deep - Mountain High (not a hit, but it did become a classic in the end) and loads more. This boxset is a wonderful collection of Sixties pop, all in glorious mono and with an excellent book (with lyrics!). It contains an essential piece of music history.
P.S. I haven't mentioned yet that this boxset also contains what many regard as the best Christmas album ever, A Christmas Gift For You.

I've heard that this boxset is going out of print, so grab it while you can. And $20 for 4 CDs is a no-brainer to me.