Favorite Album time... my Floydians!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Favorite Floyd?

• Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Saucerful of Secrets

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • More

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ummagumma

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Atom Heart Mother

• Relics

• Meddle

Votes: 8 8.4%
  • Obscured By Clouds

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Dark Side of the Moon

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • Wish You Were Here

Votes: 14 14.7%
  • Animals

• The Wall

Votes: 19 20.0%
  • The Final Cut

• A Momentary Lapse of Reason

• The Division Bell

• Total voters
Yeah... at least as of now, DSOTM is ahead by just one vote. I don't wanna declare it a winner yet cos The Wall is so close behind! Cmon, we need more votes from other Floyd fans out there! :wink:

BTW, I'm surprised nobody has voted for Piper At The Gates Of Dawn yet. I know many Syd fans consider it the best one.

I'm not saying that The Wall isn't a classic or anything, but I'm surprised that a lot of people like it as a "whole" vs. DSOTM or WYWH, which are the two albums that I consider absolute Floydian masterpieces. There is not one bad thing on either one.

Yet with The Wall, while there are many classic songs, there are also several throwaways, IMO. Who likes to listen to The Trial that much, anyway?

Just randomly thinking...

I love The Trial in all it's dramatic glory. Wouldn't say that there are any throwaways in The Wall. But it IS dominated by Waters for the most part and so depressing. I prefer the happy balance that DSOTM and WYWH achieve.

i had to vote for dark side of the moon but im starting to feel bad for pipers at the gate of dawn which is easily the best physcodelic(yea its spelled wrong) album ever

Ok...I haven't weighed in yet, so move out of the way. :wink:

First, I'm a fan of all eras of the band. At one time, I ranked AMLOR (Gilmour 'solo') and The Final Cut (Waters 'solo') as my two favorites. There's not too many people out there with taste like that.

Some comments on others comments so far:
- Corporal Clegg is not a highlight? Huh? I love that song.
- Nobody likes The Trial? It's always good, but sometimes when
I listen to it , it totally blows me away.
- DSOTM and The Wall are by no means their only 'classic'
albums. Piper, WYWH, and Animals are widely hailed as
classics also. Plus, you have millions of fanboys/fangirls who
will claim just about any PF album a masterpiece. Their back
catalogue is one of the most popular in the entire music
industry.

The title of this poll is 'Favorite Album' not 'Best Album', so I'm going with A Momentary Lapse of Reason. It was the first Floyd cd that I bought, and I practically wore it out. All of the songs except Dogs of War are standouts to me, and I just can't ignore the album that sucked me in to the magical world of Pink Floyd. If we were voting on Best Album, I would say Meddle.

Although no one asked, I think the greatest work the band ever did is Echoes, with the combined Shine On suites at #2. I'm a sucker for epics, especially when they are so unique and well structured. Even though Echoes and Shine On are TOTALLY AWESOME, I have found 2 other side long tracks that I think are even better: "Close to the Edge"- Yes and "Supper's Ready"- Genesis. I find it hard to keep my jaw off the floor just thinking about the aforementioned 4 songs.

Nice post, 2Hearts! I agree with you on Corporal Clegg. In fact I don't think there's any song of theirs I dislike... except for maybe Dogs Of War, even that one I don't hate though.

Originally posted by phanan

Yet with The Wall, while there are many classic songs, there are also several throwaways

:laugh: ... You've got to be joking !!
"The Wall" is one of the GREATEST albums by Pink Floyd :applaud:
There are NOT any throw-away songs on it ...

The Wall definitely has its share of throwaways...much of "Side 2" would be the most obvious starting point: Don't Leave Me Now and Another Brick, part III are complete fillers that I highly doubt anyone would miss.

In sum, the album just starts bashing you over the head and doesn't stop (which, incidentally, was Waters' own assessment of the film version). I agree with the reviewer who concluded the record was "ultimately more tiresome than moving", and I say that while fully acknowledging some great tunes sprinkled throughout (Comfortably Numb, clearly as good a song as Gilmour ever wrote, Run Like Hell, Goodbye Blue Sky, even Mother are all great). But the storyline is just so relentlessly depressing, narcisstic, and whiny that the whole album is a downer (and by this point Waters nasal voice - to say nothing of his gigantic ego - isn't helping matters and it is not a coincidence that the stronger set of songs feature Gilmour on lead vocals).

The album was a great achievement for the band but I much prefer the dreamy Echoes, the spine tingling Shine On, the pyschedelic Astronomy Domine, the soaring Learning to Fly, and the pulsing Time to most anything (save Numb) off The Wall.

MsMofoGone said:

:laugh: ... You've got to be joking !!
"The Wall" is one of the GREATEST albums by Pink Floyd :applaud:
There are NOT any throw-away songs on it ...

It is a great album, no doubt. But there are some songs that I cringe at because of how Waters sounds, like Vera.

And I understand what The Trial brings to the album, but as a song on its own, I just don't give it much spins.

I can't say that for DSOTM or WYWH - those are masterpieces all the way through. Meddle is a close masterpiece for me as well. Take off Seamus and it's there.

Close To The Edge :drool: ( does anyone like Yes here ?, we could start a Yes topic :yes: )

Talking about Pink Floyd, My personal favorite album is THE WALL :shocked:

Peace :wave:

1. In The Flesh?--Mediocre.
2. The Thin Ice--Excellent.
3. Another Brick In The Wall, Part 1--Mediocre.
4. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives--Mediocre.
5. Another Brick In The Wall, Part 2--Mediocre.
6. Mother--Excellent.
7. Goodbye Blue Sky--Excellent.
8. Empty Spaces--Decent transition.
9. Young Lust--Mediocre.
10. One Of My Turns--Total shit.
11. Don't Leave Me Now--Shittier than shit.
12. Another Brick In The Wall (Part III)--Mediocre.
13. Goodbye Cruel World--Excellent.

1. Hey You--Excellent.
2. Is There Anybody Out There?--Excellent.
3. Nobody Home--Mediocre.
4. Vera--Decent transition.
5. Bring the Boys Back Home--Decent transition.
6. Comfortably Numb--OMG DAVEGASM.
7. The Show Must Go On--Alright.
8. In The Flesh--Alright.
9. Run Like Hell--Excellent.
10. Waiting For The Worms--Excellent.
11. Stop--Bleh.
12. The Trial--Shit.
13. Outside The Wall--Bleh.

:shocked: You've gotta be fucking kidding us, typhoon!!! First of all... The frightening lunacy of One Of My Turns & the helplessness and desperation portayed so beautifully in Don't Leave Me Now are essential to the story! When I think of Don't Leave Me Now, I also think of Wake Up Dead Man... both amazingly capture the feeling of loneliness. Another Brick In The Wall is overplayed but not mediocre! That guitar lead in part II and the atmospherics in part I... :drool: Nobody Home with its lush chords is just mesmerizing! The Trial is shit???? It's freakin' genius (not to mention hilarious... 'go on judge, shit on him!') and helps form a fantastic climax to the whole story.

TEAR DOWN THE WALLLLLLL!!!!!!! :rockon:

Wish You Were Here. While I love the mindfuck of The Wall, and the psychadelic rockiness of Dark Side, and even the quirky storybook land of Piper, this album is just perfectly beautiful and moving. My favorite.

Zootlesque said:
When I think of Don't Leave Me Now, I also think of Wake Up Dead Man... both amazingly capture the feeling of loneliness.

Maybe ol' Pink wouldn't be lonely if he wasn't so verbally and physically abusive.

To me Wake Up Dead Man has a totally different vibe, and I prefer it 100x to Don't Leave Me Now. I don't slag many Floyd songs, but you just hit on of them.

piper at the gates of dawn...although i don't like pink floyd. i do like that album, and i do own a copy of it whereas i don't own anything else.

Back
Top Bottom